Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoos Summary
- Best Overall Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo: Natural Dog Company Sensitive Skin Shampoo
With the power of oatmeal and aloe vera, this hypoallergenic shampoo is our top pick overall for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Best Tearless Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs
In addition to giving dogs a shiny and detangled coat, this dog grooming product works well against common allergens.
- Best Antiparasitic Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Dog Shampoo
This medicated shampoo is anti-parasitic and anti-seborrheic, works great on hot spots, and provides itch relief.
- Best Soap-Free Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo: TropiClean Gentle Coconut Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Derived from natural ingredients, this oatmeal dog shampoo is rich in vitamin E and has antifungal and anti-itch properties.
- Best Deep-Cleaning Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo: Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo for Dogs
This soap-free shampoo is recommended by groomers and veterinarians and has powerful moisturizing properties.
What is a Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs?
The hypoallergenic dog shampoo is a kind of grooming product formulated for dogs prone to skin allergies. The shampoo is gentle and nourishing. The hypoallergenic dog shampoo helps with itchy, flaky, and dry skin.
Hypoallergenic dog shampoos are readily available and come in different forms and fragrances. It is important to choose the right type of hypoallergenic shampoo for your sensitive dogs.
Does Hypoallergenic Shampoo Work for Dogs?
Yes, the hypoallergenic shampoo works for dogs. However, every dog is different and can react differently. That is why there are different types of hypoallergenic shampoos for dogs.
Hypoallergenic dog shampoos contain fewer ingredients and extracts usually derived from natural sources. Even better, some hypoallergenic shampoos are made with organic ingredients.
The Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoos Reviewed
Finding the best hypoallergenic shampoo for your pooch can be tricky. To help you, we reviewed some of the best-selling hypoallergenic formulas on the pet market.
Summary: This organic dog shampoo has an extra-gentle formula that is perfect for irritated and dry skin. Just apply it to your dog’s wet coat and see its deep-cleaning action. The shampoo is pH-balanced for dogs and made with soothing oatmeal. It is available in a 12 fl oz bottle.
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, Manuka honey, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and colloidal oatmeal
- Made with organic and natural ingredients
- Gentle cleaning action
- Moisturizes, cleans, and hydrates
- Made in the USA in small batches
- Available at an affordable price
- Some owners dislike the consistency
Review: This hypoallergenic shampoo is just what your dog needs if it has sensitive skin. It is made using natural ingredients and can be used as a puppy shampoo.
Summary: With no harsh ingredients, this hypoallergenic shampoo is enriched with vitamin E. This makes it perfect for dogs with sensitive skin. Additionally, it also improves their coat and gives the dog’s fur a shiny appearance. Plus, it has a tearless formula for care-free use.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin E, lactic acid, allantoin
- Ideal for dogs prone to allergies
- Tearless and fragrance-free
- pH balanced for pets
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Affordable and USA-made
- Not a sulfate-free formula
Review: This shampoo is scientifically formulated using coconut-based cleansers. It is great for both cats & dogs older than 12 weeks of age.
Summary: This is a medicated shampoo that is perfect if your dog suffers from rashes and other skin conditions. It has a gentle formula that is soothing on their skin and promotes healing. It can help dogs suffering from various types of skin conditions.
Key Ingredients: Coal tar, salicylic acid, micronized sulfur, colloidal oatmeal, and allantoin
- Antiparasitic, antifungal, and antiseborrheic
- With veterinary-grade ingredients
- Fast-acting, supports skin healing
- Gently cleans and rehydrates skin
- Affordable and USA-made
- Some owners dislike the coconut scent
Review: This shampoo has a fast-acting formula and is perfect for dermatitis, seborrhea, mange, and other infections. Plus, it comes at a budget-friendly price.
Summary: Made using naturally derived ingredients, this mild shampoo is excellent for puppies, kittens, and pets with allergies. It is pH balanced and free of soap, dyes, and other common toxic substances. This USA-made pet shampoo cleans and deodorizes.
Scent: Light tropical scent
Key Ingredients: Mild coconut cleanser, colloidal oatmeal, aloe, vitamin E
- Gentle and with natural ingredients
- Free from harsh chemicals and additives
- Comes in an eco-friendly package
- Excellent value for money product
- Made in the USA
- Needs to be diluted before use
Review: This shampoo works great against common skin problems. It needs to be diluted before use. Plus, it is gentle enough to be used as a puppy shampoo.
Summary: This is a gentle, soap-free shampoo that provides a new life to your dog’s coat. It also helps to relieve dry skin, dandruff, itching, flaky skin, and waxy skin. It does not dry out your dog’s coat after use. The shampoo is formulated by veterinarians.
Scent: Aloe vera
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, allantoin, panthenol, and vitamin E
- Vet-formulated hypoallergenic shampoo
- Provides relief to sensitive skin
- Free from chemicals and additives
- Removes allergens without drying the skin
- Made in the USA
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: This shampoo does not interfere with topical flea and tick treatments. Plus, it is gentle and provides the skin with moisture and nourishment.
What is the Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo?
Natural Dog Company Sensitive Skin Shampoo is our top pick when it comes to hypoallergenic shampoo. It has an ultra-gentle formula for easily irritated skin. Additionally, it contains manuka honey, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and colloidal oatmeal which have soothing properties.
Here is what you need to consider when choosing the best hypoallergenic dog shampoo:
- All-Natural Ingredients. Ideally, the hypoallergenic shampoo is made with organic or natural ingredients such as oatmeal, coconut oil, buttermilk, shea butter, lemongrass, etc.
- No Harsh Chemicals. The right hypoallergenic shampoo will be soap, sulfate, phthalate, dye, MEA, DEA, and paraben-free. It should also be free from artificial additives.
- Skin-Health Effects. The shampoo should also feature strong skin-health-promoting features – it should be moisturizing and deodorizing. Being able to detangle is a bonus.
- Balanced pH. The dog’s skin has a different pH level than the human skin. Plus, it is much more sensitive. Therefore pet shampoos must be gentle and pH-balanced for pets.#
- Fragrance. Hypoallergenic shampoos come in various scents. However, there are unscented or fragrance-free versions too.
- Ease of Use. The shampoo must lather quickly and come in an easy-to-use bottle. This is very helpful if using the shampoo on a regular basis.
- Brand. Finally, research the brand – a reliable one will be cruelty-free and transparent about its ingredients and manufacturing practices. Always read reviews from other customers.
- Give your pup a soothing, odor-eliminating, and hydrating wash that won't chafe their sensitive skin.
- Contains manuka honey, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and colloidal oatmeal, which moisturizes and nourishes the skin and coat while gently relieving itchiness.
- Safe for all dog breeds, sizes, and ages and will help maintain a clean, shiny coat and moisturized skin.
What Ingredients Should Not be in a Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo?
Some ingredients in pet shampoos can do more harm to your dog’s skin and coat. Here is a close look at the hazardous ingredients you need to avoid:
- Sulfates. Sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate & sodium laureth sulfate) help create lather. However, they are harsh and likely to cause skin irritation.
- Parabens. Parabens are chemical preservatives that prolong the shampoo’s shelf life. When absorbed in the dog’s body they cause hormonal disorders.
- Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is another harmful preservative. It triggers the immune system and results in itchiness, burning, blistering, and scaling of the skin.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are fragrances that improve the shampoo’s scent. They are dangerous because they trigger hormonal imbalances.
- Artificial Colors. Artificial dyes are synthesized from petroleum and may cause health issues such as allergic reactions, cancer, organ failure, and birth defects.
- Artificial Fragrances. Artificial fragrances are suspected of causing cancer, reproductive issues, and developmental toxicity. They can be extracted from different ingredients.
- Lanolin. Lanolin is a controversial ingredient that may cause organ toxicity. Another issue is that it is often contaminated with dioxane and ethylene oxide.
How Often Should You Bathe a Dog With Hypoallergenic Shampoo?
It is recommended that you bathe your dog once every 2-3 weeks. Bathing your dog on a more frequent schedule can disrupt the production of natural oils and lead to flaky and dry skin.
Many pet parents prefer to use the ‘sniff test’ to determine when to give their dogs a bath. Some might also give their dog’s a bath if they have itchy skin after a play session outdoors.
It is best to consult your vet to determine a bath schedule for your dog, depending on its skin type and the potential presence of skin conditions. You can also opt for waterless shampoos that clean your dog’s coat with ease. Plus, these shampoos can be used more frequently.
How Fast does Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo Work?
Hypoallergenic shampoos show their power right from the first wash. Apply the shampoo to your dog and leave it for 5-10 minutes.
Make sure you don’t apply it on their faces and around their eyes. After that, rinse off, pat dry, and give them a good combing session.
You will see that your dog’s allergies will stay reduced for longer. However, in order to completely eliminate the problem, it can take 4-6 weeks, depending on the severity of the allergy.
How Long does Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo Last?
Even if your use your shampoo once a week, you can expect it to last 4-8 weeks. Additionally, most shampoos are relatively affordable and easy on the pocket as they show their effectiveness right from the first wash.