Table of Contents
What Treats are OK for Kittens?
- Best Overall Kitten Treats: The Honest Kitchen Smittens White Fish Cat Treats
Grain-free and limited ingredient dehydrated bites with wild-caught white fish and less than 3 calories per piece.
- Best Low-Calorie Kitten Treats: Blue Buffalo Baby Blue Kitten Crunchies Grain-Free
Made with real salmon and just 1.5 calories per treat; high in nutrition, low in calories, a tasty, light treat for kittens.
- Best Soft Kitten Treats: Get Naked Kitten Health Soft Kitten Treats
Grain-free and filled with adequate DHA omega-3 fatty acids, which will boost healthy, natural growth in kittens.
- Best Value for Money Kitten Treats: Temptations Mixups Crunchy and Soft Cat Treats
Large size 16 oz. tub for less than $8, a long-lasting treat for kittens with excellent value for money.
- Best Dual-Flavored Kitten Treats: Temptations Kitten Treats
Two different flavors in a single set – two packs of chicken and dairy and two packs of salmon and dairy, so that your kittens can enjoy the change of flavors.
- Most Flavor Options in Kitten Treats: Wellness Kittles Grain-Free Cat Treats
Tasty and healthy treats are available in three different flavors – salmon and cranberry, tuna and cranberry, and chicken and cranberry.
- Best Grain-Free Kitten Treat: INABA Churu Grain-Free Lickable Cat Treats
Lickable puree that can be used as a cat food topper and is packed with protein, taurine, and vitamins.
- HUMAN GRADE: Unlike most pet food, which is feed grade, this recipe is 100% human grade – made with human grade ingredients and produced in a human food facility. That means higher quality ingredients and more safety standards, just like you'd expect from your own food.
- JUST TWO INGREDIENTS: This high-protein cat treat is made with just dehydrated wild-caught white fish and a touch of sea salt.
- WE SAY NO TO: This recipe contains no artificial preservatives, feed-grade by-products, fillers, GMO ingredients, corn, wheat, or soy.
Do Kitten Treats Have Any Nutritional Value?
It depends – some kitten treats have nutritional value while others do not.
High-quality treats made by reputed brands such as the ones mentioned above are packed with essential nutrients that are beneficial for your kittens. These treats offer the perfect balance of taste and nutrition necessary for the optimal growth of your furry friend.
What are the Benefits of Treats for Kittens?
Kitten treats are both delicious and nutritious. Here is a close look at the benefits of treats for kittens:
- Nutritional Boost. An additional source of nutrients, especially those lacking in the kittens’ regular diet, such as vitamins, taurine, and DHA.
- Positive Experience. Kitten treats come in delicious flavors that the kittens will enjoy.
- Rewarding. Treats are an excellent way to reward kittens and positively reinforce good behavior from an early age.
- Stronger Bond. Treats are a great way of expressing love to your kittens and can strengthen the bond between the pet and the owner in the long run.
However, it is important to control the frequency of treats. Even if the kitten treats are healthy and nutritious, they should not be fed in excess. It is best to feed them occasionally while ensuring that the meows get most of the required nutrients from their main kitten diet.
The Best Kitten Treats Reviewed
If you want to make sure that you pick the best treats for your kittens, then here’s a list of the top kitten treats that are delicious, nutritious, and budget-friendly. We have reviewed each product in detail so you can decide which treat recipe is perfect for your feline friend.
Summary: These treats by The Honest Kitchen are made with two simple ingredients – wild-caught white fish and sea salt. They are packed with protein, omega fatty acids, and flavor. They are also high in moisture and perfect even for picky-eating cats. The two ingredients are of human-grade quality and perfectly safe for cats of all ages. The formula is free from feed-grade by-products, fillers, GMO ingredients, and artificial preservatives.
Type: Dehydrated cat treats
Best for: Kittens and adult cats
Flavor Options: White Fish; Herring; Herring & Cranberry
Price: $7.99/pack (1.5 oz)
- Grain-free and limited-ingredient
- Packed with protein and omegas
- Small-sized pieces for easy chewing
- Low-calorie recipe (3 kcal per bite)
- Money-back guarantee
- The scent can be too strong for some owners
Ingredient Analysis: These treats feature a limited ingredient recipe. Namely, the two ingredients are dehydrated wild-caught white fish and sea salt.
Review: Pet owners love these treats and say they are the best treats for their cats. Customers are pleased with the high-quality ingredients used in the formula and the fact their cats love the taste. The overall Amazon rating for these human-grade bites is 4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: The Baby Blue grain-free kitten treats made by Blue Buffalo come in a 2 oz. pack. It contains real salmon as the main ingredient, so it has high protein content. Other nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and DHA are also present. With just 1.5 calories per treat, it serves as the perfect lightweight snack for kittens without messing up their daily required calorie intake.
Best For: Kittens
Flavor Options: Savory Salmon
- Grain-free, meaty, and healthy snack
- Super low calorie with just 1.5 calories per treat
- A delicious salmon flavor that kittens will love
- High in protein and healthy nutrients
- Low and budget-friendly price
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Ingredient Analysis: The recipe contains salmon, chicken meal, potato starch, peas, brewer’s dried yeast, chicken fat, natural preservatives, and rosemary oil.
Review: These kitten treats have an excellent rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars by a total of 95 customers on Amazon. Most positive reviews have said that their kittens have loved these crunchy cat treats.
Summary: These soft kitten treats from Get Naked are especially rich in DHA omega-3, a key nutrient for the healthy growth of kittens. DHA promotes proper cognitive development, boosts eyesight, and improves kittens’ brain function. Apart from the health benefits, these treats are delicious, and kittens will relish the granular texture.
Best For: Kittens
Flavor Options: Chicken
- Rich in healthy omega-3s
- No fillers, grains, and artificial flavors
- All-natural ingredients like real chicken and fish oil
- Enjoyable taste for kittens
- Improves eyesight and immunity
- The scent can be too strong for some owners
Ingredient Analysis: The formula features chicken, sweet potatoes, vegetable glycerin, fish oil, sunflower oil, flaxseed, natural preservatives, natural flavors, and taurine.
Review: These chicken flavor treats have a high Amazon rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars and many positive reviews from around 3500 happy customers.
Summary: Temptations Mixups kitten treats have great value for money as it comes in a sizeable 16 oz. tub for a budget price of $8. It has a unique texture that is crunchy on the outside with soft fillings inside, which makes it very appealing to kittens. It is easy on the stomach for kittens and promotes digestive health while also containing sufficient protein.
Best For: Kittens
Flavor Options: Tuna, Shrimp, and Salmon
- Big size and large quantity for budget cost
- Can also be given to adult cats
- Below 2 calories per treat, suitable as a light snack
- A mixture of crunchy exterior with a soft interior
- Good for the digestive health of kittens
- Contains chicken-by-product,
Ingredient Analysis: Real tuna, shrimp, and salmon; chicken and dried meat by-products
Review: Due to excellent value for money and a combination of delicious flavors, Temptations Mixups treats have an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars by almost 48.000 customers.
Summary: Temptations Kitten Treats contains four packs of delicious treats. Two packs are chicken and dairy flavored, while the other two are salmon and dairy flavored. It’s a great choice for picky eaters, since you can switch between the flavors to mix things up for their taste buds. Along with protein, it also contains DHA omega-3 for healthy growth and development.
Best For: Kittens
Flavor Options: Chicken & Dairy; Salmon & Dairy
- Two different flavors in a single set
- Only two calories per treat
- Resealable and practical pouch
- Delicious flavors and crunchy texture
- Contains high protein and DHA
- Contains chicken by-products and animal fat
Ingredient Analysis: The Chicken and Dairy Flavor pack contains chicken, dried skim milk, chicken by-products, and animal fat, while the Salmon and Dairy Flavor option has salmon, dried skim milk, chicken by-products, and animal fat.
Review: These Temptations cat treats have a solid rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon from 124 happy customers.
Summary: Wellness Kittles Cat Treats combines the usual ingredients like tuna, chicken, or salmon with the delicious flavors of cranberries. This unique combination makes it an absolute delicacy for kittens. It also improves oral health and contains 31% crude protein, which AAFCO above the minimum requirement of 26% mandates. Overall, it’s a complete package of flavor and nutrition.
Best For: Kittens
Flavor Options: Salmon & Cranberry; Tuna & Cranberry; Chicken & Cranberry
- High crude protein percentage
- Cranberries that improve urinary health
- Antioxidant-rich blueberries
- Formulated by veterinarians and nutritionists
- Budget-friendly price
- Relatively high in fat
Ingredient Analysis: The recipe features salmon, tuna, or chicken as the main ingredient (based on the flavor choice), cranberries and blueberries, potatoes, chickpeas, and chicken fat.
Review: Wellness Kittles grain-free treats have a high rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon based on the experience of 8500+ customers.
Summary: The final product on our list is Churu grain-free lickable treats from INABA. It’s different from other treats reviewed above as it is in liquid, puree form instead of the usual crunchy or chewy treats. It can be fed as a standalone snack or even as a topping on regular kitten food, making your kitten’s meals more delicious.
Best For: Kittens
Flavor Options: Beef & Cheese; Chicken; Chicken & Seafood; Tuna; Tuna and Seafood; Tuna & Chicken
Price: $29.03 – $39.99 depending on the flavor
- Can be used as snacks or food topper
- Various flavors to choose from
- Convenient packaging that comes in small tubes
- Liquid puree form provides sufficient hydration for kittens
- Provides ample hydration for kittens
- Price is a bit higher compared to other options
Ingredient Analysis: The main ingredient varies according to flavors – chicken, tuna, salmon, or beef. Also contains tapioca and natural flavors.
Review: INABA Churu lickable treats has an excellent rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars from almost 8500 customers. This product is loved by kittens, customers revealed.
What Should I Look for in Kitten Treats?
When buying kitten treats, there are several factors to consider:
- Ingredients. First, you need to pay attention to the ingredient list. Ideally, the treats will have meat as the first ingredient, followed by wholesome ingredients. They should also be free from artificial additives, GMOs, and fillers.
- Age Suitability. Some treats are made specifically for kittens, while others are suitable for cats of all life stages. When shopping cat treats, make sure they are suitable for young and growing kittens.
- Purpose. Then, you should think about the reason for getting the treats. For example, if you want to support oral health, it is best to get dental treats, while if you need regular rewards, it is better to opt for a low-calorie option.
- Flavor & Texture. Kitten treats come in a variety of flavors and textures. The most common flavor cats enjoy is chicken. As for texture, depending on the kitten’s age, you should look for a less crunchy and more chewy or puree variety.
What is the Difference Between Kitten Treats and Cat Treats?
The main difference between kitten and cat treats is the choice of ingredients and texture.
Kittens need specific ingredients for healthy growth and development. High-quality treats made for kittens will contain those ingredients to give them an early boost in life. Also, kitten treats are often less crunchy and easier to munch on compared to regular cat treats.
At What Age Can Kittens Start Having Treats?
Kittens need to be nursed by their mothers until 6 to 8 weeks. After they are at least eight weeks old, pet parents can start giving them kitten treats.
However, that may not apply to all kittens, so it is best to consult a vet first to examine the kitten’s health, and then decide if it is suitable for them to have occasional treats.
What Happens If Kittens Eat Too Many Treats?
Kitten treats are meant to be fed in moderation. Treats are not balanced pet food that can provide complete nutrition for kittens.
So if your new kitten eats too many treats, it can cause nutritional disbalance and health problems such as digestive issues.
It can also mess up their diet and hamper their growth. Excess treats can also lead to obesity from an early age.