What is the Best Large Cat Carrier?
- Best Overall Large Cat Carrier: Amazon Basics Soft-Sided Mesh Pet Travel Carrier
With excellent features and ratings on platforms such as Amazon and Chewy, this is our top carrier for large cats.
- Best Top Load Large Cat Carrier: petisfam Top Load Pet Carrier for Large Cats
Thanks to an innovative design, this top-load cat carrier for large cats is exactly what you need if you have a fussy feline friend.
- Best Soft-Sided Large Cat Carrier: DALIAN Airline Approved Soft-Sided Cat Carrier
If your cat hates getting into their carrier and throws a fit, this soft-sided carrier can prevent them from getting hurt.
- Best Lightweight Large Cat Carrier: Vceoa Carriers Soft-Sided Pet Carrier for Cats
If you travel around a lot with your cat, you might need this highly portable cat carrier for taking them around.
- Best Durable Large Cat Carrier: GAPZER Pet Carrier for Large and Medium Cats
Large cats can be powerful creatures and therefore require this durable carrier so that they do not damage it easily.
- Best Airline-Approved Large Cat Carrier: Prutapet Large Cat Carrier Soft-Sided Portable Pet Crate
Thanks to an all-rounded design, this airline-approved pet carrier offers the required utility to carry your feline friend around.
When do You Need a Large Cat Carrier?
If you get a cat, especially a large one, it might be difficult to carry them around. This is because cats can be fussy creatures that are armed with sharp claws, especially if they are large cats. Getting them to the vet can be a difficult procedure, and they can offer resistance. Therefore, you need the best cat carrier in the market to ensure that they can safely move around.
It is recommended that a carrier should be one and half times larger than your cat. This gives them room to stretch out and does not make them feel suffocated overall because of plenty of ventilation. Whether it is a dog carrier or a cat carrier, you have to ensure that you buy something durable, sturdy, and one that lasts long.
The carrier you buy should ideally be foldable, collapsible, and suitable for both car travel and air travel. It should easily be used with a car seat belt and have a carry handle. It is, however, recommended that large pet carriers be used only with large cats. Small cats should not be placed inside an extra-large cat carrier and vice versa.
For smaller cats, you can also opt for a cat carrier backpack that usually has a padded shoulder strap for added comfort. This pet carrier bag is among the most widely sold pet product among pet parents.
What Size is a Large Cat Carrier?
Most large adult cats are around 8-12 pounds in weight. However, they might be of different sizes depending on their breed and growth rate. It is recommended that you buy a carrier that is 1.5 times their size. But as a rule of thumb, you can opt for a carrier of the following size –
- Length: 17″
- Height: 13″
- Width: 14″
It is still suggested that you consult a vet before you buy a cat travel carrier for vet visits or airline travel.
The Best Large Cat Carriers Reviewed
Large cat carriers come in different styles and with different features. Here we have selected and reviewed some of the best cat carriers for large cats.
Summary: This soft-sided pet carrier keeps your dog or cat comfortably contained especially when traveling long distances. It has a mesh through which you can keep an eye on your pet, and they can see you too. This gives them reassurance and helps keep them calm. The soft-sided pet carrier includes a removable base insert for easy cleaning, a leash clip for security, and a machine-washable fleece pad for comfort.
Dimensions: 19.7×10.2×11.2 inches
Weight Limit: 22 lbs
- Features carrying handles and adjustable shoulder strap
- Conforms to under-seat dimensions of most airlines
- Removable fleece pad is machine washable
- Features front and top load openings
- Has a leash clip for added security
- Cannot be used as a pet kennel
Review: This pet carrier is made of durable material. However, it is only suitable for accompanied travel only. It is not recommended that you leave your pet alone in this carrier. The overall rating for this large cat carrier is 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This carrier offers a comfy and safe way to transport your fur baby in addition to providing a high level of convenience for pet parents. It also features a soft padded bottom for comfort and meshes on the sides and top for good airflow. It is also escape-proof, with all zippers being anti-escape. It also has a security leash included for additional security. Overall, the carrier is made with a durable and non-toxic material that has been SGS tested.
Dimensions: 17x12x12 inches
Weight Limit: 15 lbs
- Features a full-size front door
- Easy to store, no installation needed
- Comfortable for most pets
- Recommended for large, medium cats, and small dogs
- Soft padded bottom for comfort
- The top-loading door might not fit large cats
Review: No installation is needed for this carrier, and it can be set up or folded down within 10 seconds. It features a well-ventilated design for good airflow. The overall rating for this large cat carrier is 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This product was crafted with the utmost care and attention to detail and quality. This high-quality pet carrier is both convenient for you, the consumer, and safe and comfortable for your pet. It has a zippered pocket for storing treats and other essentials your pet might require during their journey. Additionally, this carrier can make a vet visit less stressful as most of the check-ups can be done thanks to the top opening.
Dimensions: 7.5x10x10 inches
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Limit: 30 lbs
- Made with a stainless steel skeleton structure
- Zippers prevent pets from escaping
- Mesh windows provide optimal airflow
- Made with environmentally friendly materials
- Meets all airline regulations
- The mesh can be torn with your cat’s claws
Review: The interior space will be less than the exterior due to the fabric thickness and plush faux fleece padding. Overall, it is durable and great for travel. The overall rating for this large cat carrier is 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This carrier features durable mesh windows for ventilation and has a top and side entry with locking zippers for added safety. The pet carrier comes with a removable base insert, which creates a solid surface for your pet to stand on. Additionally, it also has a removable, hand-washable fleece pet bed, which offers a cozy sleeping space for your traveling pet. It also has carrying handles and an adjustable shoulder strap that makes travel more convenient.
Dimensions: 17.51×11.04×11.04 inches
Weight Limit: 16 lbs
- Fits the under-seat dimensions of most airlines
- Features mesh windows for ventilation
- Comes with a removable base insert
- Contains hand washable cozy fleece pet bed
- Features carrying handles and an adjustable shoulder strap
- It might not be very comfortable as it has a thin padding
Review: This is a cozy pet carrier with a sturdy base that improves your pet’s confidence while traveling. It is easy to wash and can maintain hygiene easily. The overall rating for this large cat carrier is 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This pet carrier can carry most cats thanks to an innovative shoulder strap that helps to reduce load and relieve fatigue. The pet carrier can be folded into a pad to save your storage space and is easy to take out. The mesh around the bag is easy to clean and offers you the opportunity to keep an eye on your pet. This also reduces anxiety in your pet as they can see you all the time. It also features roller blinds that can be deployed if your pet feels nervous.
Dimensions: 18.5×11.8×11.8 inches
Weight Limit: 16 lbs
- The design ensures the circulation of air inside the box
- Has roller blinds that can be put down if your pet feels nervous
- Can be folded into a pad to save storage space
- Designed for two carrying ways – shoulder straps and handles
- Much larger and higher than other similar bags
- Not suitable for very heavy cats
Review: The bag is made from durable fabric-oxford material, and the faux lambskin liner can be completely removed and machine-washed. The overall rating for this large cat carrier is 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This cat carrier is made especially for large animals and is equipped with safety buckles that can be connected to your safety belt. It can also be fastened to the seat of your cat. This cat carrier is made up of a supportive metal frame and 600D oxford fabric, which is considered strong and durable. This carrier comes with a collapsible water bowl that helps your pet stay hydrated while on the move.
Dimensions: 24×16.5×16.5 inches
Material: Plastic, Steel
Weight Limit: 55 lbs
- Offers a large weight capacity
- Has extra storage space for pet supplies
- Provides three access points for pets
- Has windows for ventilation on all four sides
- Upholstered with washable lamb fluff
- The zippers might get locked from time to time
Review: This carrier is well-ventilated with multiple screened panels for your pet. It provides easy reach and loading with four access panels. The overall rating for this large cat carrier is 4.7 out of 5 stars.
What Should I Look for in a Large Cat Carrier?
There are several aspects that need to be kept in mind while looking for a cat carrier. Let us look at some of them:
- Easily Portable. Having an easily portable large cat carrier can go a long way in carrying your cat around. This helps in airline travel and vet visits. Additionally, these cat carrier bags can also be used for small dogs as a pet kennel, especially during litter training. Additionally, having a luggage strap can make things a lot easier.
- Machine Washable. Your carrier needs to be machine washable in order to maintain hygiene. This prevents the breakout of diseases and keeps your pet healthy. If you have a plastic carrier, it needs to be designed in such a way that it is easy to clean.
- Mesh Windows. When looking for a carrier, make sure that it is not designed like a cat cage. Your cat should not feel suffocated inside. Having mesh windows can ensure that your cat is able to breathe easily and is not stressed out much.
- Locking Zippers. Cats can be sneaky creatures. To prevent them from escaping, you need locking zippers on your carrier. This is also a great way to ensure your peace of mind, especially if your cat is known for breaking out of barriers.
- Made with Durable Material. Both cat and dog crates should be made with durable material in order to ensure that they do not break during transit. This also gives your cat more confidence to travel inside it.
- Breathable and Comfy. Having your pet crate/pet carrier made of breathable material can make it comfy for your cat. For instance, fleece can be used in the interiors, so it helps keep your cat more calm.
- Easy Access. Finally, a front door can become a familiar entry and exit point for your cat. This also helps you convert your cat carrier into a cat kennel/dog kennel when required. This can also become your cat’s home, especially when paired with a litter box and cat trees.