Best Dog Crates Summary
- Best Overall Large Dog Crate Overall: Revol Dog Crate
Attractive, ergonomic, and space-friendly dog crate that incorporates the baby industry quality standards.
- Best Easy-Clean Large Dog Crate: MidWest Homes for Pets iCrate
Easy-to-clean dog crate with sturdy walls, removable plastic tray, and several patented features.
- Best Collapsible Large Dog Crate: New World Pet Products Folding Metal Dog Crate
High-quality, double-dog dog crate with a collapsible design and perfect dimensions for large breed dogs.
- Best Heavy Duty Large Dog Crate: Otaid 48 Inch Heavy Duty Indestructible Dog Crate
Indestructible and sturdily build dog crate available in big sizes that are perfect for large and giant dogs.
- Best Large Dog Crate for Traveling: Paws & Pals Dog Crate
Single-door, foldable, and wired metal kennel with a removable tray that is ideal for travel.
- Best Large Dog Crate for Anxious Dogs: LEMBERI Heavy Duty Dog Crate
Heavy-duty and easy-clean dog crate with a safe and convenient design suitable for anxious dogs.
How Big Should a Crate be for a Large Dog?
A large dog crate should be spacious enough to allow the dog to stand, sit and turn around freely without touching the crate’s walls.
When standing, there should be at least 2 to 4 inches of space between the walls of the crates and the dog’s nose or tail base. When sitting, there should be between 2 to 4 inches of space between the head and roof of the crate. Your dog should also be able to stretch out in the crate without any problem entirely.
If you choose a crate that is too small for your dog, you run the risk of making the crate experience less desirable for you and your furry friend.
A small dog cage can result in injuries due to the proximity of the walls to the dog’s body. Your dog can bump her head on the roof while sitting up or scrape her skin on the wire mesh while turning around.
A small crate size can also take a toll on your dog’s mental health. Think about how you would feel after spending the larger part of your day cramped up in a box. You may notice signs like increased aggression, anxiety, and growling after having your dog in a small crate for a while.
An incorrectly sized crate will defeat the purpose of crate training. For a crate to work as a training tool, your dog has to love it and think of it as a safe space. If your doggy associates her crate with claustrophobia and discomfort, you can not successfully get her to spend time in it.
Finally, getting a correctly sized pet crate will save you time and money. A comfortable and durable crate can get pretty pricey. You wouldn’t want to have to make such a purchase twice simply because you got the size wrong.
To know if you have the right crate size, watch your dog’s behavior in the first days of using the crate. Watch out for signs like hunching, visible discomfort, staying stationary for too long, whining, or any other calls for help.
Large Dog Crate Dimensions
Most retailers will only state the length of a crate. The standard length of a large dog crate is 42″, but some also consider the 48″ a large. This is one of the reasons it is important to accurately measure your dog before choosing a crate.
The standard large dog crate dimensions are 42″ Length * 28″ Width *31″ Height, but they can vary from brand to brand.
Large dog crates are usually designed to carry dogs that weigh between 70 and 90 lbs.
Dog breeds suited for a 42″ dog crate include:
Depending on the size of your dog, you may need to size up to an extra-large dog crate. The standard extra-large (x-large) dimensions are 48″ Length * 30″ Width * 33″ Height. These crates are usually built for dogs that weigh over 90 lbs.
Breeds that may need extra large crates to include:
On the rare occasion that an extra-large crate is not enough for a large dog, you will go for an extra-extra-large (XXL) crate. The extra-extra-large dimensions are 54″ Length * 37″ Width * 45″ Height.
Dog breeds likely to need an XXL crate are:
- Irish Wolfhound
- Russian Beardog
- St. Bernard
- Neapolitan Mastiff
Best Large Dog Crate Reviews
The modern pet market is saturated with various large dog crate products. Therefore, pet owners are faced with a challenge when choosing the right dog crate for their lucky dogs. To keep things simple, we have reviewed the best large dog crates on Amazon.
Summary: Revol is an attractive and unique-looking dog crate. It is made of premium materials and features a collapsible design that makes the crate easy to set up and space-friendly to store. The overall features of the dog crate are inspired by baby industry quality standards and incorporate ergonomic, easy-to-use doors. The crate is available in four sizes and four color options.
- Premium materials and overall design
- With a ceiling hatch for quick access
- Removable bottom for easy cleaning
- Comes with an included puppy divider
- Available in different colors and sizes
- Some sizes are often out of stock
Review: Overall, pet owners love this ergonomic and uniquely built dog crate. They say it is very easy to use and set up. They are also happy with the collapsible design that allows space-friendly storage.
Summary: The MidWest iCrate is one of the most popular crates for many reasons. The crate is very affordable yet functional, durable, and easy to operate. This wire dog crate comes with a divider, thus being perfect for small dogs going through different life stages.
- Chew-proof, wire dog crate
- Single door and double door dog crate options
- It is travel-friendly as it is easy to assemble
- Has a carrying handle, so it can also act as a pet carrier
- Comes with a plastic tray to trap dirt from the crate
- Open and very well ventilated
- Roller feet to protect the floor
- Affordable and budget-friendly price
- Not very stylish and may be hard to blend with home decor
Review: Reviewers of the product highly recommend the crate mostly because of its spaciousness and incredible quality. Among popular brands, the iCrate seems to be the one that ticks most of the boxes of a good dog crate.
Summary: The New World Dog Crate is a metallic wire large dog crate that is popular for its ability to fold down to a compact size for easy storage and travel. It is also durable, easy to set up, and well ventilated. The ease of use and assembly are added bonus features.
- Double door folding crate
- Convenient in times of travel
- Chew-proof metallic material
- Comes with a leak-proof tray
- Strong latches for escape artist dogs
- Easy to assemble
- Open and very well ventilated
- Does not feature a divider panel
Review: The New World Metal Dog Crate is described by current users as spacious, easy to assemble, good quality. Dog parents who store their crate away and those that travel with their dog are especially in love with this crate.
Summary: The Otaid Crate was built to withstand any kind of aggression from a dog. This large dog crate is made with half-inch reinforced steel that makes it very sturdy no matter what a dog throws at it. Finally, it comes with a set of optional wheels for when you need to move it from one place to another.
- Sturdy design with reinforced steel
- Suitable for aggressive big dogs
- Double doors for easy access
- Wheels for simple moving within the house
- Comes partially preassembled
- Very well-ventilated
- Doubles as a crate kennel
- Not foldable and very heavy (not travel-friendly)
Review: Many pet parents who had lost hope of finding a strong crate that can hold aggressive dogs found it in this one. Reviews describe it as heavy-duty, well built, and worth the money.
Summary: The Paws & Pals Crate is a simple but well-built large dog crate designed for pet owners that are often on the move. As a folding dog crate, the product is perfect for owners and dogs on the go. Plus, the crate is very straightforward to assemble.
- It is a folding dog crate
- It has two doors for easy access
- The metal wire frame is chew-proof
- Comes with a removable plastic tray
- Easy to assemble and well-ventilated
- Not suitable for aggressive dogs
Review: Dog owners that use this crate are happy about its large space that allows even a large dog to move around freely.
Summary: This large dog crate from Lemberi is one of the sturdiest crates on the market. The crate is made from half-inch reinforced steel that is resistant to corrosion, rust, and chewing.
- Sturdy design with thick reinforced steel
- Can be used as a dog kennel
- Resistant to outdoor conditions
- Removable tray for easy cleaning
- Simple to assemble and use
- Should be paired with a dog bed for better comfort
- Relatively heavy and unsuitable for travel
Review: Most reviews agree that this crate is indestructible even by the rowdiest dogs. Parents of large destructive dogs believe that the extra expense for a sturdy crate is very much worth it.
How to Shop for a Large Dog Crate
When shopping for a large dog crate, there are several things you should consider to ensure a positive experience. Here are some of the things you need to keep in mind before clicking checkout:
- Size. The first thing to think about when buying a large dog crate is size. Ensure to accurately measure your dog instead of approximating what size of crate will fit her best.
- Durability. Bigger dogs tend to be stronger and sometimes even more aggressive. For this reason, it is very important to find a crate that can withstand the constant wear from a big dog. If your dog is extremely aggressive, it may be in your best interest to get a product with a long warranty in case of damage.
- Portability. If you like to move with your dog, try to purchase a crate that will not be a burden for you on the road. If possible, get a folding crate that can fold to a more manageable size. Crates with handles also come in handy when you need to carry your pet without getting her out of the crate.
- Material. The best crate material for big dogs is metal, preferably reinforced metal, especially for strong and aggressive dogs. However, crates can be made from other materials such as ecoflex and wood.
- Divider. If you have a young puppy that is expected to grow to a large size, it is best to get a large crate with a divider instead of a small crate that they will outgrow in no time.
- Accessories. Go for crates that come with bonus accessories like cleaning trays, crate covers, dog beds, and storage spaces. This can help you save money on buying more pet products.
- Overall design. Certain dog crates are multifunctional, meaning they have secondary purposes like end tables, side tables, coffee tables, and storage spaces.