Table of Contents
What Is the Best Large Dog House?
- Best Overall Large Dog House: BestPet Pet Kennel with Air Vents and Elevated Floor Ventilate Waterproof Plastic Dog House for Large Dogs
By providing plenty of ventilation, space, and privacy for your dog, this dog house does well to serve every purpose.
- Best Eco-Friendly Large Dog House: Petmate All-Weather Protection Indigo Dog House for Large Dogs
This igloo-style dog house is made of 90% recycled plastic and large enough to accommodate dogs up to 90 pounds.
- Best Extra Large Dog House: FLL Extra Large Dog House for Large Dogs with Height Base Support for Winter
This high-quality, heavy-duty dog house is available in sizes large enough to comfortably fit X-large dog breeds.
- Best Stylish Large Dog House: Rockever Store Insulated Large Wooden Dog House
Made of solid wood and featuring a window for viewing and air circulation, this attractive dog house would spruce up any yard.
- Best Heavy-Duty Large Dog House: Petmate Store Dog House for Dogs Up to 90 Pounds
Tested by a third party for structural strength, this dog house can withstand a 1,500 lbs payload on the roof.
- Suitable for small dogs: The overall size of this plastic dog house is 25in (L) 27in (W) 28in (H), which can be suitable for small dogs such as Pomeranian, Fa fight, Teddy, etc.
- Strong & Durable: Our dog house is fastened with snaps and screws to ensure the stability of the overall structure. A 160-pound adult can easily sit on the roof without crushing the house. The box contains two nails; you can also use it to fix the dog house on the ground.
- Outdoor Dog House: Our plastic dog house is ideal for use in backyard, patio, deck, etc. Double air vents ensures the circulation of fresh air, keeps your dog cool in summer. Besides, our dog house is made of heat-insulating materials; your pet will feel warmer if you put a blanket on the house in winter.
How Big Should a Dog House Be for a Large Dog?
Generally speaking, a dog should be able to stand, sit, and turn around in a dog home without touching the sides.
If you are unsure about how big this is, all you have to do is measure your dog from nose to tail and multiply that number by 1.25 to get the 25% extra room the dog needs.
What Are the Benefits of a Large Dog House?
The large dog house is spacious and comfortable. Here is a closer look at the benefits of this pet product:
- Extra Room. You may consider a large dog house for your medium-sized dog if they are outside often. This will allow you to install insulation and place their food bowl inside the house while still leaving them plenty of space to lay down. If your dog likes to hide toys, it may use this space to hide its things as well.
- Protection. One of the biggest benefits is the protection a dog house offers from the outdoor conditions and wildlife. Wooden dog houses are sturdy with raised floors, so they are more likely to provide protection from wildlife and moisture. Plastic dog houses, like igloo dog houses, often have offset door openings to protect from wind and rain and a solid plastic top that won’t leak unless cracked.
- Insulation. Large dog houses are easier to insulate than smaller dog houses. Your pet dog enjoys the warmth the same as you do, so protecting a dog house is important in the winter months. Large dog houses are great for large sized-dogs, but as insulation is added, the interior becomes smaller, so you may need to go up one size. Insulated dog houses are very important if you have an outdoor pet.
The Best Large Dog Houses Reviewed
There are many large dog house products on Amazon and Chewy. To make an informed decision and pick the right house for your large dog, we have reviewed several best-selling models.
BestPet Pet Kennel with Air Vents and Elevated Floor Ventilate Waterproof Plastic Dog House for Large Dogs
Summary: The waterproof plastic this dog house is made of is also great at keeping the heat in. A removable roof makes cleaning a breeze, and the dual air vents ensure there is enough airflow. It is held together with clasps and screws and includes two ground spikes to attach it to the ground.
This plastic dog house is easy to assemble and is designed to take one adult only 30 minutes to put together. Plus, it comes in three different sizes for dogs of different breeds and ages.
Features: Heat insulating plastic; Dual air vents; Waterproof
Dimension: 41” x 37” x 38”
- Dual air vents
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Elevated floor
- Made of heat-insulating plastic
- Includes ground spikes to firmly attach it to the ground
- The removable roof can leak in the rain
Review: Happy dog owners said this outdoor shelter was very easy to assemble, and they liked the look. It kept their dogs dry and comfortable, and they said the sizing was great for them.
Critical reviewers were disappointed when their dogs wouldn’t use the house and said the roof leaked when it rained.
Summary: This large dog house is capable of housing dogs up to 125 lbs. and is made of 90% recycled materials. The shape of the house provides insulation from hot and cold weather, and an offset doorway shields pets from rain.
It features side motes for water runoff and raised floors to keep pets dry and comfortable. It is made in the USA with premium blended plastic for the best security and weatherproofing possible.
Features: Raised floor; Offset doorway; Large size; Side motes
Dimension: 43.8″ x 34″ x 25.8″
Material: Blended plastic
- The igloo shape is very durable
- Suitable for dogs up to 125 lbs
- Made in the USA with 90% recycled materials
- Weatherproof design
- Capable of handling up to 1,500 pounds stacked on top of it
- A bit pricey
Review: Over 80% of total ratings are positive, with the most common compliment being the build and construction. Dog owners were happy to find a sturdy dog house for their large and extra large dogs, as well as being happy they can provide an insulated dog house for their dogs, who spend most of their time outdoors.
Critical reviews say the sizing is inaccurate, and the product was damaged when they received it in the mail.
Summary: To avoid any malfunction after assembly, this dog house is held together with buckles and screws. This, combined with the asphalt roof, provide a great deal of security and quality that can withstand the elements.
It is made to be easily assembled and disassembled with basic tools and can be easily cleaned. This pet house is made with two vents on opposing walls to allow ample airflow while the raised floor keeps dogs up and off the ground.
Features: Asphalt shingles; Waterproof; Buckles and screws
Dimension: 27.5” x 27.5” x 27.5”
- Assembled with sturdy buckles and screws
- Includes ground nails for a secure setting
- Asphalt shingles
- Detachable roof for easy cleaning
- There aren’t many reviews, so it is difficult to get an idea of what experiences other buyers have had with this product
Review: Reviews of this doghouse were sparse, but most of those who rated this product rated it highly. In their reviews, they said it was “everything I expected” and were satisfied it kept their dogs warm and dry.
There was only one 1-star review, and it said it would not stay together and complained Amazon would not pay for return shipping.
Summary: The deluxe, solid wood construction of this dog kennel is sturdy and waterproof to protect small dogs and big dogs from the elements while outside. It features insulated walls and a vinyl door flap to keep the air inside at a comfortable temperature.
This wood dog house is UV-resistant, rainproof, and anti-rot, so it is built to last. As a bonus, the roof is slanted away from the entrance to keep rainwater out.
Features: Insulated; Vinyl door flap
Dimension: 45″ x 31” x 31″
- Available in multiple sizes
- Solid wood construction
- Window for ventilation
- Elevated floor
- Vinyl door flap
- More expensive
Review: Reviews on this cabin-style dog house were largely positive. Buyers were happy with the construction, saying it was sturdy and easy to assemble. They liked the predrilled screw holes, but some mentioned the corners may need to be sanded to avoid the possibility of splinters.
The most common complaint was about the price. Dissatisfied consumers mentioned prices in nearly every negative review and said it was not worth what they paid.
Summary: This heavy-duty outdoor dog house is made from structural foam plastic that helps to insulate against cold and warm weather. The leak-resistant design and elevated floor help to keep pets dry and clean, while the offset doorway offers privacy and protection from wind and rain.
The natural geometric shape provides a great deal of protection against falling objects, and the large rear vents ensure continual airflow. It is made in the USA to provide your dog with the best protection against the elements.
Features: Leak resistant; Elevated floor; Heavy rear ventilation
Dimension: 33.5” x 33.2” x 26”
Material: Foam plastic
- Made in the USA
- Assembly requires only one screwdriver
- The offset doorway protects against wind
- Elevated floor
- Large vents for great air circulation
- Leak resistant
- The sizing may be inaccurate on the site
Review: Dog owners were largely impressed with this dog kennel. They say it works great at protecting their dogs from the elements while also providing them a safe place to call their own. Their dogs like the space, and their owners were happy with that.
There were two common complaints, however. One complaint was the size was inaccurate, and the other was damage incurred during shipping.
What Should I Look for in a Large Dog House?
When shopping for the best large dog house, you need to consider the following factors:
- Size. A dog should be able to stand, sit, and turn around without touching the side of the house, and if your dog is outdoors for long periods of time, then it is a good idea to consider that. If they spend much of their time outdoors, then you may want a dog house that has room for a dog bed, toys, food, and water bowls.
- Shape. The igloo shape is one of the strongest overall shapes a structure can be built into. However, a more traditional outdoor dog kennel that is square and has a hinged roof may be your preference. The options are endless when looking for a large dog house, especially if you are DIY savvy and can build your own.
- Material. The most common materials a dog house will be made of are plastic and wood. Each has its benefits and compromises, but generally speaking, plastic is cheaper and more lightweight, while wood is more durable and more expensive. A wood composite, like ECOFLEX, is a great choice for those who can afford it, too, because it is wood blended with plastic to make it less likely to rot and degrade over time.
The material you choose for your pet shelter should be based on the weather conditions where you live, the size of your dog, and how often your dog is outside. Also, look at the material the hardware that holds the doghouse together is made. Often times the best dog houses have stainless steel hardware because it does not rust.
- Options. Large dog houses are often best for outdoor use and can be made into log cabin dog houses, have a removable floor, or even be made to look like a dog palace. The options are near limitless, so there is most likely a large dog house option out that will fit the needs of you and your dog.