Best Liver Supplements for Dogs at a Glance
- Zesty Paws Liver Support Supplement – Best Overall Liver Supplement for Dogs
- VetriScience Laboratories Vetri Liver Canine – Used by Veterinarians
- Coco and Luna Milk Thistle Liver Support Tablets – Best Liver Supplement in Tablet Form
- Coco and Luna Milk Thistle Liver Support Powder – Best Liver Supplement Powder
- Wanderfound Pets Milk Thistle Liver Support Chewable Tablets – Best Liver Supplement Chewable Tablet
Do Dogs Need Liver Supplements?
Yes, using a high-quality liver supplement for dogs is beneficial. Liver supplements for dogs are pet products specifically formulated to ensure liver support.
They are particularly useful for dogs with compromised liver health and function. Liver supplements also help dogs in natural growth, boost the functionality of their organs, and provide balanced nutrition to the dogs.
Most liver supplements are available over-the-counter. However, it is highly advisable to talk to your trusted veterinarian before adding a liver supplement for dogs on your pet’s health regimen.
What Can I Give My Dog to Help His Liver?
From amino acids and proteins to supplements and medications for liver support – there are several things you can do to improve your dog‘s liver health. Here are a few options that can heal your dog’s liver:
- Surgery. In severe cases where the disease includes the presence of cysts and tumors, surgery can help you rectify the dog’s liver and boosts pet health.
- Zesty Paws Liver Support Bites are grain-free chewable supplements with holistic natural ingredients that support canine liver and kidney health.
- Each bite contains Qmin+ Curcumin (95% Curcuminoids) to support liver function, while BioPerine is a premium black pepper extract that increases Curcumin absorption.
- These pet treats also include Cranberry, Blueberry, Choline Bitartrate, and Dandelion Root Powder to provide additional support for your dog's liver activity.
How can I Naturally Heal My Dog’s Liver?
If your dog is suffering from liver disease, here are some of the natural foods to give to your dog to help his liver:
- Zinc-Rich Diet. Increasing the zinc-rich diet in dogs can help dogs recover from liver disease. The copper builds up in a dogs’ liver when it cannot process food correctly. In such situations, zinc supplements help eliminate such buildup. Avoid copper-rich foods like salmon, duck, and pork.
- Low-Protein Diet. Is your dog experiencing certain neurological disorders like spacing out, seizures, staring vehemently, or feeling tired suddenly? This can be related to a liver disease known as hepatic encephalopathy. In such situations, dogs should be given a diet low in animal-based protein. For example, you can give your dog foods like eggs, oatmeal, tofu, peanut butter, sweet potatoes, carrots, and cottage cheese.
- High-Fat Diet. The high-fat diet helps dogs with their liver disease. Some of the sources of a high-fat diet in dogs include omega-3 rich diets like fish oil and flaxseed oil.
What are the Benefits of Liver Supplements for Dogs?
The main benefit of an efficient liver supplement for dogs is detoxification. Here is a more detailed overview of this benefit:
- Phase 1 Detoxification
- Neutralizing unwanted chemicals in the pet’s liver
- Conversion of toxins into less harmful substances
- Phase 2 Detoxification
- Elimination of other unwanted substances
- Removal of free radicals that can damage liver cells
- Strengthening the immune system
- Enhancing liver enzymes.
The Best Liver Supplements for Dogs Review
There are tons of different liver supplements for dogs on Amazon and Chewy. To make the shopping easier, we have reviewed the best supplements that can improve your dog’s liver health.
Summary: Zesty Paws Liver Support Bites are chewable supplements rich in milk thistle extract, turmeric curcumin, bioperine, dandelion root powder, cranberry, and choline. Each grain-free bite has 110mg of silactive, a standardized form of milk thistle. This ingredient helps in kidney support and detoxifies the dog’s liver. This liver supplement for dogs is one of the best products, and it is suitable for all dogs regardless of age and breed.
- High quality and well tasting
- No artificial flavors and preservatives
- No synthetic colors used
- Provides liver support and liver detoxification
- Easily chewable bites
- Leaves stains if the dog vomits them out
- Some dogs refuse to eat
Review: The majority of the users found this liver supplement for dogs beneficial. At the same time, a tiny portion of users think that it is challenging to serve the bites in the first place. Their dogs hate it. Further, this supplement stains floor due to the presence of turmeric.
Summary: This Vetri Liver Canine by VetriScience Laboratories comes with 60 bite-sized chews. These chews help dogs with elevated liver enzymes. It includes 15 unique ingredients that help in liver detoxification. This liver supplement for dogs is crafted in VetriScienece Laboratories with over 45 years of experience. They include ingredients like dimethylglycine (DMG), gluta-syn, whey protein isolate, milk thistle, artichoke leaf extract, N-acetyl cysteine, vitamin E, vitamin A, turmeric, betaine, and B vitamins.
- Naturally chicken liver flavored chews
- 15 unique ingredients
- Helps in Phase 1 and Phase 2 detoxification
- Strong smell
- A bit harder to bite
Review: Most users found the chews beneficial when coupled with a healthy diet. Very few users found the smell of the chews repelling, and their dogs found them hard to chew.
Summary: This is a milk thistle by Coco and Luna Store. It is in tablet form, and the bottle contains 120 chewable milk thistle tablets. To make it likable, it has a bacon and liver flavor. The tablets provide liver support to dogs, helps in liver detoxification, provide hepatic support, and promote healthy liver function. The key ingredients in this liver supplement for dogs are milk thistle, essential fatty acids like EPA and DHA from fish oil, dandelion root, and yellow dock.
- Prevents dog kidney failure
- Bladder control for dogs
- Protects dog's heart, skin, and coat
- Manufactured in FDA registered facilities
- Too strong for some dogs
Review: The product is beneficial for a majority of 76% of dogs. Very few dog owners find it challenging to serve the tablet to the dog, while others noticed no significant improvement.
Summary: This liver supplement for dogs allows pet owners to serve it to their dogs efficiently. It has a salmon flavor to make it taste good. The key ingredients in the powder are dandelion root, milk thistle, ginger root extract, choline bitartrate, nettle leaf extract, vitamin B12, thiamin, BioPerine, vitamin B6, vitamin B2, and many others.
- Improves dog liver enzymes
- Easy to serve powder
- Support healthy waste elimination
- Provides liver support
- Eliminate toxins, remove damaging free radicals
- Created digestive issues in a few dogs
Review: 76% of the dog owners found it useful for their dogs. Very few dog owners had trouble figuring out the correct dose, which didn’t have any positive effect on their dogs.
Summary: Ultimate liver milk thistle for medium dogs by Wanderfound is another liver supplement for dogs. The bottle comes with 100 chewable tablets with salmon and bacon flavor. The key ingredients of the tablets include artichoke, dandelion, milk thistle, and yellow dock. Together, these ingredients provide liver support, cleanse, and protect the liver from impurities and toxins.
- Natural ingredients
- Helps in proper organ functions
- Promotes pancreas and kidney health
- Supports overall wellness
- Hard to swallow for small dogs
Review: 70% of dog owners have positive reviews about the product. This liver supplement for dogs has been beneficial in improving liver enzymes. Very few dog owners found it unuseful.
What is the Best Liver Supplement for Dogs?
The best liver supplement for dogs should achieve efficient detox while being 100% safe and easy to use. Some of the best liver supplements for dogs include active ingredients like:
- Milk Thistle (Silymarin): Silymarin is the best quality of milk thistle
- Choline: a nutrient similar to vitamin B
- Turmeric and Curcumin: helps in food breakdown and production of bile
- Cranberry: helps beat liver inflammation
- Denamarin: helps in liver cell repair and regeneration
- Dandelion Root: helps in reducing blood sugar levels in dogs
- Yellow Dock: anti-inflammatory, helps in liver inflammation, and treats bacterial infections
- S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM-E): detoxifying, has antioxidant properties.
In addition to the ingredients, when shopping for a high-quality liver supplement for dogs, before clicking checkout, pay attention to the following factors:
- Form of the Liver Supplement for Dogs. Liver supplements for dogs come in different forms, such as soft chews, powders, and liquids. Choose the form both you and your dog prefer most.
- Brand Reputability. Always pay attention to the brand. A reputable and trustworthy brand will be transparent and feature reviews of previous customers.
- Price of the Liver Supplement for Dogs. Last but not least, make sure you check the price. Usually, more expensive supplements are of higher quality. However, there are exceptions.
Most Common Liver Problem in Dogs
The most common liver problem in dogs is canine hepatitis caused by the Leptospira bacteria. The risk of leptospirosis is significant in dogs that are not vaccinated against the pathogen.
Other issues include fungal infections (Valley fever), parasitic diseases (toxoplasmosis), and canine cholangiohepatitis (liver inflammation).
What Causes Liver Problems in Dogs?
Liver problems in dogs are caused by a variety of issues. Here is a list of some of the common causes of liver issues in cats and dogs:
- Pathogens: bacteria, viruses, and fungi
- Human and dog foods bad for the liver: candy, gums, baked foods, etc
- Molds on corn (aflatoxins)
- Irresponsible use of painkillers and OTC medications