Table of Contents
Is it Normal for a Dog to Have Diarrhea?
Yes, mild to moderate cases of diarrhea are common in dogs from time to time.
So, my dog has diarrhea but is acting fine – how is this possible? This could occur due to eating something that irritates your dog’s stomach (like a new food or table scraps). On the other hand, dog diarrhea can also result from parasitic infections or viral infections in the intestinal tract, food allergies, or foreign objects in the small/large intestines.
It could also result from underlying health issues such as liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, colitis, and so on. Anyway, diarrhea is a frequent incident for dogs and can be cured at home if the case is mild.
If your dog is suffering from diarrhea, a quick and effective way to soothe their stomach and restore gut health is with Vets Preferred Advanced Anti Diarrhea
- Soothe your pet’s upset stomach and stop their diarrhea with the advanced diarrhea medicine for dogs.
- This advanced anti-diarrhea for dogs medicine is made in the USA under strict supervision to ensure optimum quality.
- Has fast absorbent action, which helps alleviate the irritation, discomfort, and cramping associated with dog diarrhea within 2-3 days.
Why Does My Dog Have Diarrhea but Acts Normal?
If your dog has diarrhea, you will expect it to show some sign of discomfort. However, sometimes it may act completely normal. According to vets, there are a few reasons attributable to this behavior:
- Causes of Diarrhea. The common cause of diarrhea has much to do with your dog’s reaction to it. If it is a frequent diarrhea attack that happens when your dog diverts from the regular food, and thus, may not be feeling extremely uncomfortable or showing any signs.
- Spread of Diarrhea. Your dog may act completely fine if the cause of the diarrhea is localized to the gastrointestinal tract only. However, if the allergy or infection starts spreading to other organs, your dog can show symptoms of discomfort.
- Chronic Diarrhea. If your dog has chronic diarrhea, not showing any symptoms is quite natural. Chronic diarrhea is a condition where your dog’s body is used to diarrhea attacks, and it has become a part of their body’s general reflex. In such cases, your dog may feel and act normal even during diarrhea.
Should I be Worried if My Dog Has Diarrhea but is Acting Fine?
The answer is – it depends on the bout of diarrhea.
If diarrhea has lasted more than three days and your dog is still not showing any discomfort, you should immediately seek medical help. Consult a veterinarian to find out the cause and spread of diarrhea in such cases before the situation escalates.
How Can I Help My Dog with Diarrhea?
If your dog has diarrhea but otherwise seems fine, you can try a homemade bland food made with boiled white rice, chicken, and cottage cheese. Additionally, you can use some helpful products.
These products are mostly vet-recommended and will help stop the diarrhea attacks that can make your dog weak and dehydrated.
Summary: This is a vet-recommended liquid bland diet for reducing or gradually stopping your dog’s diarrhea attacks. This formula contains kaolin and pectin that firms up your dog’s stool. This liquid can also be used to provide gas relief to your dog. This is also effective for loose stool-related inconsistencies in general and stomach aches. This dog food should be given every 12 hours for the best results.
- Lab-tested and vet-recommended product
- GMP-certified, safe, and effective formula
- Manages diarrhea attacks by various causes
- Improves and normalizes dog poop consistency
- Reduces stomach ache and provides gas relief
- Might not be effective for giant breeds
Reviews: Based on feedback from 4,808 customers, this product has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim that this has been a “life saver” for their dogs and is a value-for-money product.
Summary: A powdered supplement filled with the goodness of probiotics. This supplement is formulated primarily with probiotic strains that replenish the gut’s microbiome and promote healthy digestion. Taking this supplement daily will also improve your dog’s gastrointestinal health and immune health with time.
- Vet-recommended formula
- Promotes gut health and better digestion
- Supplement in powder form that can be added to daily meals
- Contains six different probiotic strains
- Improves immune health in the long term
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Review: Based on customer reviews, this formula has an average of 4.4 out of 5 stars. Customers love the ingredient quality, quantity, and overall efficacy of the product in dealing with stomach issues of dogs.
Summary: This is a pre + probiotic mix powder that can be used as a daily supplement to improve diarrhea tendencies in your dog. This dog’s diet contains six different probiotic strains of Lactobacillus spp, Bacillus spp cumulatively, along with DE 111 (a clinically tested probiotic strain for stronger immunity). Overall, these ingredients improve your dog’s gut microbiome, heal digestive system, and help improve stool consistency, thereby reducing diarrhea tendencies.
- All-natural and can be used daily as a supplement
- Restores healthy bacteria in your dog’s gut
- Improves stool consistency
- Reduces tendencies of diarrhea gradually
- Provides relief from allergies
- Contains chicken flavor that some dogs may be allergic to
Reviews: Based on 379 customer reviews, this product has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Customers state that their dogs’ gut health and digestive capabilities have significantly improved after using this.
Summary: A probiotic-based supplement that helps dogs with stool issues. This natural ingredient and enzyme blend formula makes a balanced supplement with multiple benefits for your dog’s gut health. This formula results in the ideal stool. Enzymes help in better digestion and absorption of nutrients in the gut. The probiotic strains replenish your dog’s gut microflora while eliminating intestinal parasites. This supplement comes in delectable flavors like cheddar cheese that your dog will love.
- Results in ideal stool
- Supports healthy digestion
- Improves gut microbiome
- Promotes immune health
- Provides gas relief
- Overfeeding this supplement can lead to side effects
Reviews: Based on 10,233 reviews, this product has an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. Pet parents share that their dogs are healthier and diarrhea free after taking this supplement.
Summary: A prebiotic powder and bone broth formula ensure your dog’s best health. This is an all-natural formula with a select few ingredients that will alleviate your dog’s watery diarrhea and allergies. Contains a probiotic blend for improving gut health and pumpkin seeds for improved immunity. Vet nutritionists and canine health scientists especially blend this formula to optimize the benefits.
- All-natural formulation
- Easy-use powdered formula
- Contains probiotic strains for healthy gut flora
- With Jerusalem artichokes and pumpkin seeds
- Formulated by experts
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Reviews: Based on feedback from 1,411 customers, this formula has an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Customers state that their dog’s digestive and stool issues have been eliminated ever since they started taking this supplement.
Can Dog Diarrhea be Contagious to Other Dogs?
Yes, if the causal organism of the diarrhea is a virus or bacteria, dog diarrhea can be contagious.
Diarrhea can spread to other dogs in such cases if they sniff or lick the infected feces or drink water from a shared bowl.
How Long Should Diarrhea Last in Dogs?
Diarrhea in dogs could last depending on their age, size, lifestyle, immune system, and more.
Based on this, bloody diarrhea can last from a few days to up to a few weeks. On average, diarrhea lasts 2-4 days; however, sometimes, it goes beyond four days.
It is expected that senior dogs will have irregular bowel movements as their digestive capabilities tend to deteriorate with age.
Your dog can also have prolonged or frequent diarrhea attacks if they don’t have a fixed diet and tend to eat a lot of unhealthy treats and kibble.
How Long Should a Dog Have Diarrhea Before Going to the Vet?
If your furry friend is experiencing diarrhea for a few days (usually less than three), you can opt for home remedies as listed above.
In case the diarrhea is severe, bloody, or accompanied by excessive vomiting, call your vet as soon as possible. Also, seek veterinary care if the dog diarrhea lasts for more than three days.
In summary, diarrhea is common and benign in many dogs. However, sometimes it can indicate a more severe issue, such as inflammatory bowel disease, viral infections (parvovirus, coronavirus, or distemper), bacterial infections (like Salmonella), or parasites (roundworms, hookworms, Giardia). Long and untreated diarrhea has a negative impact on the dog’s health.