Related Articles: Flea Shampoo for Dogs, Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs, Flea Shampoo for Puppies, Dry Shampoo for Dogs, Dog Shampoo, Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Medicated Dog Shampoo, Dog Conditioner, Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin, Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs, Best Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin, Dog Shampoo for Allergies, Dog Dandruff Shampoo, Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo, Mange Shampoo for Dogs, Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs, Antifungal Dog Shampoo, Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin, Dog Lice Shampoo, Best Puppy Shampoo
Best Organic and Natural Dog Shampoos Summary
- Best Overall Natural Dog Shampoo: 4Legger Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
USDA-certified and natural pet shampoo with health-boosting ingredients like oatmeal, lavender, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel.
- Best Conditioning Natural Dog Shampoo: Natural Dog Company Sensitive Skin Shampoo
Dog owners are happy with the silkiness of their dog’s fur after using this shampoo and its gentle effect on sensitive skin.
- Best Natural Shampoo for Thick-Coated Dogs: Vermont Soap Organics Pet Shampoo
This USDA-certified dog shampoo is the perfect fit for long and thick-haired breeds as it penetrates fur and reaches the dog skin.
- Best Natural Puppy Shampoo: Earthbath 2-in-1 Conditioning Shampoo
Cleaning and conditioning that is easy on irritated skin and features mango scent for a nice bath time experience.
- Best Multiuse Natural Dog Shampoo: Pro Pet Works Organic 5 in 1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
5-in-1 pet shampoo that helps with various skin issues because it cleans, conditions, detangles, moisturizes, and deodorizes.
- Best Concentrated Natural Dog Shampoo: Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
This super-concentrated natural dog shampoo recipe lathers easily, thus allowing using a small amount for a full bath.
- 4-Legger oatmeal dog shampoo with all natural organic non-GMO oat kernel extracted oatmeal.
- 100% natural, mild and gentle dog oatmeal shampoo for dry itchy skin will gently clean and moisturize while nourishing your dog's coat using our premium oatmeal, soothing and calming lavender essential oil, aloe vera, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil.
- Our gentle dog shampoo is plant based and proudly handcrafted in the USA with no artificial preservatives or harmful ingredients.
Is Natural Shampoo Good for Dogs?
Yes, natural dog shampoo is great.
Natural dog shampoos are made with natural or even organic ingredients that are gentle on the dog’s skin and support skin and coat health. They are hypoallergenic (do not cause allergies) and come free from harsh chemicals and artificial additives.
What is the Difference Between Natural and Organic Dog Shampoo?
Both natural and organic dog shampoos are of premium quality and safe for pets. However, the natural shampoo may contain extracts derived from non-organically grown plants.
On the other hand, the organic dog shampoo features extracts derived exclusively from organic sources and is more eco-friendly than natural shampoo. Organic pet shampoos feature the term USDA-certified on the label.
The Best Organic and Natural Dog Shampoos Reviewed
Finding the best dog shampoo with natural or organic ingredients can be challenging. To help dog owners in the search, we have selected and reviewed the best natural dog shampoos.
Summary: USDA-certified organic shampoo made with non-GMO oatmeal, lavender, and coconut oil to provide a soothing, cleansing effect and make dog grooming an enjoyable experience. Made in the USA, the shampoo is hypoallergenic and recommended by holistic veterinarians. Plus, it is efficient on several levels and supports skin and coat health.
Scent: The product is unscented, but reviews note a light lavender smell when using
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, lavender, aloe vera, coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Recommended by holistic vets
- Cleans, hydrates, and soothes dog skin
- Biodegradable shampoo bottle
- Cruelty-free manufacturing
- Irritating to the dog’s eyes
Review: Many consumers on Amazon gave acclaim to 4-Legger’s Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo for its ability to clean even the smelliest of dogs. Others, however, noted it is not particularly safe if it is put in contact with your pet’s eye.
Summary: Made for sensitive skin using oatmeal, Manuka honey, aloe vera, and chamomile extract, this pet shampoo nourishes and helps relieve itchy skin. The shampoo is pH-balanced for dogs and is free from sulfates, parabens, and soaps. The mild yet efficient formula is hypoallergenic and can be used on dogs with sensitive skin.
Scent: Soothing aroma
Key Ingredients: Colloidal oatmeal, Manuka honey, aloe vera, chamomile extract, argan oil
- 100% natural and hypoallergenic
- Moisturizes, cleans, deodorizes, and soothes
- Made for dogs of all breeds and ages
- Free from chemicals and additives
- Made in the USA
- Higher cost per ounce than some of its competitors
Review: Most reviews on Amazon note the conditioning effect of the shampoo on their dog’s fur. They were impressed with the way it cleaned the coat, especially in dogs with long hair. They also liked how silky the dog’s fur felt afterward.
Summary: Using a unique botanical blend of organic olive oil, coconut, jojoba oil, aloe vera, and essential oils from lemongrass and rosemary, this organic shampoo is perfect for sensitive dogs. It soothes dry skin and leaves a fresh scent. Plus, it penetrates through thick dog coats and comes in a concentrated formula that allows using a small amount of product per bath time.
Key Ingredients: Organic olive oil, coconut, jojoba oil, aloe vera, lemongrass, rosemary
- Infused with coconut and olive oil
- Suitable for dogs with sensitive skin
- Non-toxic and free from chemicals
- Highly concentrated formula
- USDA-certified and made in the USA
- It may not be best suited for dogs with thick double coats
Review: Amazon reviews are largely positive, stating it “did wonders” on their dogs with sensitive skin. Some owners of dogs with thick double coats, however, claimed it wasn’t as effective as some other products they have tried in the past.
Summary: This 2-in-1 Earthbath oatmeal shampoo formula uses organic plant and coconut-based ingredients to provide a soothing bath time for you and your dog. The shampoo does a great job of cleaning and conditioning the dog’s fur. Made in the USA with cruelty-free practices, this high-quality shampoo is suitable for both dogs and cats.
Key Ingredients: Purified water, plant-derived, and coconut-based cleansers, aloe vera
- All-natural, safe, and efficient formula
- Cleans, deodorizes, and detangles
- Made with renewable resources
- pH balanced for dogs
- Suitable for puppies over 6 weeks of age
- Some users dislike the mango scent
Review: Pet owners buzz on how well the product works in cleaning and conditioning their dog’s fur. The most common complaint is the strong shampoo scent and lack of residual fragrance after the bath.
Summary: Pro Pet Works Organic 5-in-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo consists of high-quality natural ingredients to perform five actions in one convenient product. The shampoo nourishes the dog’s skin and helps restore its natural oils. It also relieves itchiness and dandruff issues. Because of the hypoallergenic formula, this shampoo is suitable for sensitive dogs.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, organic almond oil, oatmeal, and vitamins A, D, E, and B12
- 5-in-1 formula for maximum convenience
- Helps restore natural oils in the skin
- Paraben-free, cruelty-free, and sulfate-free
- Suitable for both dogs and cats
- Contains 20 of the 22 amino acids pets require
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: The majority of the over 11,000 Xanax no prescription reviews on Amazon praised this product, with one groomer saying it is their go-to for pets with sensitive skin. Pet owners of long-haired dogs complained the product did not create enough lather.
Summary: Using a 100% natural and organic formula Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo is a cruelty-free dog shampoo made for pets with sensitive skin and allergies. The pH-balanced shampoo is highly concentrated, which allows using a small amount of product per bath. It has a moisturizing formula that helps with flaky and itchy skin.
Scent: Aloe vera
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, argan oil, rosemary, bentonite clay, nutmeg, and vetiver
- All-natural, effective, and pH-balanced
- Naturally soothes and deodorizes
- Helps with itchy skin and hot spots
- Highly concentrated formula
- Amount reducer at the bottle’s neck
- A little pricier than other options
Review: Consumers report satisfaction with this shampoo’s treatment of their pet’s hot spot and dry skin. While many reviews boast that this is the “best shampoo on the market” and “best product” for their dogs with allergies, others have noted the price is high.
What is the Best Natural Dog Shampoo?
4-Legger Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo is the best natural dog shampoo. It is made with organic ingredients, cruelty-free manufacturing, and comes in biodegradable packaging. The pet shampoo does an excellent job at cleaning, conditioning, and deodorizing dog skin and coat.
Here are some of the things pet owners need to consider when choosing a natural dog shampoo:
- Quality of Ingredients. Natural dog shampoos are obviously made with premium quality and natural ingredients. Ideally, the ingredients should be organic and human-grade.
- No Harsh Chemicals. The natural dog shampoo is non-toxic and free from chemicals (soaps, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, DEA, MEA) and artificial additives (dyes, fragrances).
- Balanced pH. Natural shampoos for dogs are pH-balanced for pets. This is because the dog’s skin is much more sensitive than human skin and with a higher pH balance.
- Skin-Soothing Features. The shampoo should have skin-soothing ingredients such as aloe vera, tea tree, buttermilk, shea butter, coconut oil, eucalyptus, vitamin E, etc.
- Deep Cleansing. The pet shampoo must have strong cleansing properties and the ability to go into hard-to-reach places such as skin folds.
- Fragrance. Natural dog shampoos can be scented (peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass) and unscented. Choose the option both you and your dog like best.
- Ease of Use. For easy use, the shampoo must lather without trouble and come in a bottle that is easy to handle.
- Brand. Always research the shampoo brand – ideally, it will be a USA brand that is open about its ingredients and manufacturing practices. You can also read reviews from other customers.
What Ingredients Should Not be in a Natural Dog Shampoo?
Harsh chemicals, preservatives, and artificial additives should not be found in a natural shampoo for dogs. Here is a close look at the potentially harmful shampoo ingredients:
- Phthalates. Phthalates are hidden under the word fragrances and used to add scent to the pet shampoo. However, they can cause hormonal imbalances.
- Sulfates. Sulfates help make a lather and improve the cleansing action of the shampoo. However, they affect the production of natural oils and cause skin irritation.
- Parabens. These preservatives are added to extend the pet shampoo’s shelf life. Parabens get absorbed in the dog’s body, accumulate, and cause hormonal disorders.
- Formaldehyde. This is another preservative in shampoos. Formaldehyde triggers the immune system, causing skin itchiness, burning, blistering, and scaling.
- Artificial Additives. Synthetic dyes and fragrances are linked with many health issues – from allergic reactions and skin irritation to cancer and reproductive problems.
How Can I Wash My Dog Naturally?
You can wash your dog naturally using pet-friendly, DIY shampoos. The homemade dog shampoo is easy to make (using common household products) and budget-friendly.
For example, you can make a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water and put it in a spray bottle. Then, simply apply the mixture to your dog’s coat. Apple cider vinegar helps with itchy skin.
Another option is to mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of cornstarch. Comb your dog’s fur after applying the mixture. This helps remove dirt and grime. However, it must be rinsed thoroughly.