What are Natural Flea Killers for Dogs?
The natural flea killer for dogs is a natural herb or oil that can be used to kill fleas and manage infestations. Pet parents often use a natural flea killer for dogs as it is a budget-friendly option and free from harmful chemicals.
According to Pet MD, natural flea killers for dogs are available in a variety of styles, including oils, oral supplements, and powders. The most popular option is essential oils.
Do Natural Flea Repellents for Dogs Work?
Yes, natural flea repellents for dogs work. However, the exact working mechanism depends on the specific repellent.
According to My Pet Nutritionist, using a natural flea killer for dogs is much safer than chemical treatments. The site also states that natural repellents are usually effective.
Rather than poisoning fleas and ticks, they repel them. The repelling effect safely prevents a dog from becoming host to fleas.
What are the Benefits of Using Natural Flea Repellent for Dogs?
There are many benefits to using natural remedies for dogs. Here are some of the benefits of using a natural flea killer for dogs:
- No Harsh Chemicals. The regular flea treatment for dogs (topicals, oral tablets, and flea collars) contains insecticides and chemicals that can kill adult fleas and larvae. Common ingredients are permethrin, pyrethrin, and fipronil. Natural flea killers and repellents are free from such chemicals.
- Suitable for Sensitive Skin. Mainstream, chemical flea prevention products may cause irritations and allergic reactions in sensitive dogs. Natural flea repellents are safe even for dogs with skin sensitivities.
- Easy to Use. Most natural flea repellents for dogs are easy to use. All they take is simple scrubbing of the dog’s coat with hands, saturating the fur with a mix in a spray bottle, or pouring a shampoo mixture over a dog’s coat will work.
- Budget-Friendly Protection. Many natural flea repellents are inexpensive and can be made with ingredients the pet owners already have in their homes, such as lemon juice or coconut oil. Others can be purchased online for budget-friendly prices.
What Repels Fleas in Dogs Naturally?
There are many products and methods available in stores and online that work to repel fleas naturally. Listed below are a few examples that may work for your dog.
After you wash a dog with its normal soap, mix one-part apple cider vinegar (ACV) with five parts of warm water and pour it over the dog. Rub the apple cider vinegar into the dog’s skin and let it sit for a minute or two. Rinse with warm water afterward.
Diatomaceous earth kills and prevents fleas and flea eggs from dogs and the environment. It works by damaging the exoskeleton and draining the water from the fleas’ bodies. However, only diatomaceous earth labeled as “food-grade“ is safe for dogs.
You can use one drop of essential oil (eucalyptus, palmarosa, lavender, lemon, clary sage) per one milliliter of carrier oil (like coconut oil). Do not use wintergreen, pennyroyal, clove, or peppermint essential oils, as they can be dangerous to dogs.
Lemon Juice. Lemon is a natural flea-repellant and can be used in the form of a lemon spray as a daily preventative. Simply mix water and a few drops of lemon juice into a spray bottle.
Instead of spraying, you can practice lemon juice baths. Just add a few drops of lemon juice to the dog’s shampoo. This is a great recipe for making a DIY flea shampoo.
A lemon juice bath can also be an effective way to prevent and treat fleas. A few drops can be added to any dog-safe shampoo. You can also make a DIY flea shampoo by adding equal parts of lemon juice and baking soda to the shampoo.
Zesty Paws Coconut Oil. The Zesty Paws coconut oil can be used internally or externally on the dog’s fur. When used on the dog’s skin, it helps relieve itchiness and irritation caused by flea bites.
Coconut oil, in general, doesn’t kill fleas. However, it is the most commonly used carrier oil in natural flea repellents for dogs. Plus, with the flea bite managing component, coconut oil is a 2-in-1 product for dogs.
- The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered, and crafted from organically grown apples. It is USDA certified organic, Non-GMO Verified, and Kosher certified.
- Drinking a daily dose of Bragg Organic ACV offers many health benefits. ACV can help support a healthy immune system, aids in maintaining a healthy weight, delivers prebiotics, and helps you maintain normal glucose levels.
- The Bragg ACV Vinegar is made from organically grown apples, and offers various health benefits. To easily incorporate ACV into your diet, you can take a daily 2 oz shot, pour it over your salad, drink in a morning elixir with water and lemon, or add it to your hot tea.
What is the Best Natural Flea Repellent for Dogs?
There are some natural flea remedies available that are specific for removing and preventing ticks and fleas. Here are some highly recommended natural flea killer for dogs products.
TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo for Dogs. This shampoo will ensure your dog is flea-free by killing adult fleas, flea larvae, and flea eggs, as well as ticks and mosquitos. The shampoo is made with essential oils and repels pests for up to 7 days. It is safe for dogs 12 weeks and older. It will also leave a pet smelling fresh and citrusy.
Tropiclean Natural Flea and Tick Spray for Dogs. This natural flea spray for dogs kills fleas, larvae, eggs, and ticks on dogs 12 weeks or older. It is made from essential oils and free from harmful ingredients. The spray can be applied directly to a dog’s coat or bedding. However, be careful not to spray it on the dog’s eyes, mouth, and nose.
Wondercide Flea, Tick and Mosquito Spray for Dogs. This pest-repelling spray can be used on dogs and cats. It is family-safe and made from essential oils. The product kills and repels fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, ticks, and mosquitos on contact. Because of its gentle formula, it is approved and recommended by holistic vets.
The natural flea killer for dogs can be used on its own or in conjunction with flea combs. Flea combs are excellent for removing fleas physically. For example, after applying the natural flea treatment, just comb your dog to remove dead fleas. Leaving the fleas to fall the natural way would take much longer.
Also, it is important to eliminate the fleas from the environment – the dog’s bed, carpet, and other furniture. Vacuuming is efficient for achieving flea control, but if dealing with a severe flea infestation, it might be a good idea to talk with a professional cleaning service.
How do You Make Homemade Flea Killer for Dogs?
There are various natural home remedies that can be made using simple ingredients to kill fleas. For example, you can put fresh rosemary in boiling water to make a chemical-free flea dip.
Here is a simple recipe for a natural flea killer for dogs from Animal Hearted:
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 quart of warm water
- 1 cup of liquid dish soap
- Mix the warm water and the apple cider vinegar together in a large bowl
- Slowly add the liquid dish soap
- Mix all of the ingredients and pour them into a spray bottle
- Give the bottle a gentle shake to ensure everything is properly combined.
You can use this flea shampoo just like any regular dog shampoo – massage it in the dog’s skin and let it stay for 5 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Finally, dry the dog’s coat with a towel or hairdryer.