Open Farm Cat Food Summary
- Open Farm Cat Food is a subscription-based pet food delivery service that offers one-time orders as well as authorship orders. The brand offers discounts on subscription packages.
- Open Farm Cat Food is made with human-grade ingredients that are carefully selected and non-GMO. The sustainable sourcing of their animal products makes this an excellent choice for those who can afford it.
- Open Farm offers dry cat food (Homestead Chicken & Turkey Recipe, Catch-of-the-Season Whitefish Recipe, Wild-Caught Salmon Recipe, Pasture-Raised Lamb Recipe), wet cat food (Chicken & Salmon Rustic Blend, Wild-Caught Salmon Rustic Blend, Grass-Fed Beef Rustic Blend, Herring & Mackerel Rustic Blend, Harvest Chicken Rustic Blend, Homestead Turkey Rustic Blend), mixers and toppers (Grass-Fed Beef, Salmon & Chicken, Herring & Mackerel), and broths (Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth, Homestead Turkey Bone Broth, Harvest Chicken Bone Broth.)
First-time customers can also get 20% off their first auto-ship order using the code VET20!
What is Open Farm Cat Food?
Open Farm Cat Food is a pet food company that offers a monthly pet food delivery service that ships pet food right to your doorstep. They use ethical sourcing of high-quality ingredients to provide pets with premium nutrition.
They believe in the humane treatment of animals that are raised antibiotic and growth hormone-free. The livestock they source for their food is raised on a natural diet and is never put in a cage or crate. The fish they use is always wild-caught and brought in from fisheries that uphold the most current sustainability standards.
Where is Open Farm Cat Food Made?
Open Farm Cat Food products are made on a 2,000-acre farm in Brainerd, Minnesota.
How is Open Farm Cat Food Made?
Open Farm Cat Food makes its recipes using responsibly, locally sourced ingredients from verified family farms to help support small businesses. The brand is partnered with Certified Humane to ensure its practices stick to stringent standards.
Open Farm Cat Food collaborates with Oceanwise to minimize bycatch, prevent overfishing and protect marine life. It also works with Global Animal Partnership to audit farms for humane animal treatment and Terracycle to recycle its bags and help reduce its environmental footprint.
Is Open Farm Good for Cats?
Yes, Open Farm Cat Food is good.
The brand uses human-grade ingredients like grass-fed beef and non-GMO fruits and vegetables in its recipes. Plus, they offer different formulas suitable for cats of different ages and nutritional needs. The foods taste great and are well-accepted even by picky eaters.
Open Farm Cat Food Reviewed
Like every pet food brand, Open Farm has pros and cons.
Below we have listed our favorite products and explanations as to why they made the list, the pros, and cons of buying them, and go more in-depth into their ingredients to determine whether they are worth the purchase.
Open Farm Cat Food Formulas:
- Open Farm Dry Cat Food: a crunchy and small-sized kibble with human-grade ingredients, available in two different bag sizes for easy use and freshness.
- Open Farm Wet Cat Food: rustic blends featuring real meat and healthy ingredients used to support proper hydration and delicious meals.
- Cat Food Mixers & Toppers: mixers and toppers made with high-quality ingredients that can be used to entice the appetite and make the food more flavorful.
- Open Farm Bone Broth and Supplements for Cats: tasty broths that improve the food’s overall nutrient profile and health-boosting supplements.
What’s in an Open Farm Cat Food Subscription:
After going through the questionnaire, you will be shown their recommendations. This could be just a bag of dry food they will send you every month or a container of wet food or a combination of things. You can select a one-time purchase, or if you sign up for a subscription, you will get an auto-ship discount of 5% every month.
Open Farm Cat Food Pros:
Get 20% off your first auto-ship order using the code VET20
- Non-GMO and Human-Grade Ingredients: The brand makes its recipes using wholesome ingredients. They are selected and of enough quality to be used for human consumption.
- No Preservatives and Artificial Additives: Open Farm Cat Food dedicates to making healthy pet food and does not use artificial ingredients – colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Practicality: With Open Farm, pet parents can have high-quality cat food delivered right at the door. Plus, the brand has an auto-ship option that saves time on making new orders.
Open Farm Cat Food Cons:
- Hefty Price Tag: As with most premium-quality foods, Open Farm Cat Food can be expensive. Therefore, it may not be the ideal fit for pet parents on a budget.
Open Farm Cat Food Reviews:
Open Farms makes dry cat food and freeze-dried raw cat food as well as making freeze-dried raw and dry dog food. They are a fantastic option for dog owners for the same reason they are a great choice for cat owners. A quick look at reviews online, and you will notice a sweeping 4.5-5 stars on almost any site. Below we find out why.
How does Open Farm Cat Food Work?
- Step 1: Here, you will have to click on the menu button at the top left. Choose your choice of animal from here.
- Step 2: Enter the gender and age of your pet
- Step 3: Enter the breed of your pet.
- Step 4: Enter their weight.
- Step 5: Enter their activity level; you will have three options: loveably lazy, semi-active, and pro athlete.
- Step 6: Enter the goals you have for your pet. Choices will include digestive support, skin and coat health, and joint and mobility support.
- Step 7: Choose the type of protein your pet likes best from a selection of things like venison, turkey, salmon, and whitefish.
- Step 8: Choose the type of food (you can choose more than one). The selections will be dry food, wet food, and homemade.
- Step 9: Here, you will choose what they are allergic to if they have allergies. The choices are chicken, turkey, grains, and mixed proteins.
- Step 10: Here, you will enter your email and click “get results” to find out what food they recommend.
What Ingredients does Open Farm Cat Food Use?
Open Farm Cat Food is made with holistic and natural ingredients that pet parents can trace back to where they originated before they arrived at the factory.
They use foods that are sustainably sourced, like wild-caught fish and humanely-raised chicken, in their pet food recipes.
The first ingredient is always meat to ensure guaranteed high-quality nutrients. For digestible and healthy carbohydrates, Open Farm Pet Food uses ancient grains such as green lentils and chickpeas. The micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, fiber, fatty acids) are present in optimal amounts and added through superfoods like coconut oil, squash, pumpkin seeds, dandelion greens, cranberries, etc.
Basically, all ingredients are non-GMO and ethically sourced from suppliers the brand has lasting relationships with to ensure the best end product.
Each recipe is made with humanely raised meat and includes four different formulas such as Open Farm Homestead Chicken & Turkey Recipe, Open Farm Catch-of-the-Season Whitefish, Open Farm Wild-Caught Salmon Recipe, and Open Farm Pasture-Raised Lamb.
Salmon and whitefish are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Red lentils and garbanzo beans or chickpeas provide healthy carbohydrates, while dandelion greens, cranberries, and coconut oil help with the micronutrient and amino acid profile. Overall, this food offers everything a cat food can offer.
These flavors include Open Farm Chicken & Salmon Rustic Blend, Open Farm Wild-Caught Salmon Rustic Blend, Open Farm Grass-Fed Beef Rustic Blend, Open Farm Herring & Mackerel Rustic Blend, Open Farm Harvest Chicken Rustic Blend, and Open Farm Homestead Turkey Rustic Blend.
These grain-free wet CAT foods are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and vitamin A. Real meat is the first ingredient, and chickpeas and red lentils provide healthy fiber and easily digestible carbs.
Made with real meat such as beef, chicken, herring, mackerel, and salmon, this line of food is rich in fatty acids. The protein content is average for wet food, with a crude protein content of 8%, but it comes from whole meat sources and is aided by the addition of taurine and meals such as herring meal and whitefish meal.
It is supplemented with vitamins E, A, and B12 which are all necessary for a healthy cat’s diet. They used coconut oil and sunflower oil along with rosemary extract.
The line of broths includes Open Farm Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth, Open Farm Homestead Turkey Bone Broth, and Open Farm Harvest Chicken Bone Broth.
The cat supplements line includes three different Goat Milk products (Digestion Blend, Relaxation Blend, and Antioxidant Blend), Goat Milk Kefir, and Organic Grass-Fed Cow Milk Kefir.
The ingredient list is short with these recipes and includes pumpkin and turmeric for fiber and gut health, as well as carrots and cinnamon for vitamins and blood glucose control. Overall, this line of broths is a limited ingredient food addition that helps improve the moisture content and nutrient profile of regular food.
Has Open Farm Cat Food Been Recalled?
No, Open Farm Cat Food does not have recalls.
How Much does Open Farm Cat Food Cost?
On average, it will cost around $4.00 per day to feed your pet Open Farms. The exact cost depends on the food: gently cooked fresh ($7.92 per pound), rustic stews ($47.99 for a case of 12), dry foods (between $0.39-$0.43 per ounce), cat treats (start at $9.49 per bag), and bone broths ($20.99 per 3-pack).
Is Open Farm Cat Food Worth it?
Yes, Open Farm Cat Food is worth it as long as you can afford it.
The cost of a subscription can add up fast, but their products are as clean and wholesome as it gets. The biggest downside to their pet foods is, in fact, the price. But with a high-end price tag comes high-end food made from high-quality ingredients.
Along with premium-quality food, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company that does everything in its power to be as sustainable and ethical as possible. They take animal welfare into consideration at every step of the way.