Table of Contents
Open Farm Dog Food Summary
- Open Farm is a pet food company specializing in dog and cat food.
- Open Farm dog food emphasizes sustainability and ethical sourcing of ingredients during its production process.
- All of Open Farm’s recipes meet AAFCO nutrition standards except for one (the grass-fed beef and ancient grains recipe doesn’t meet the standards for adult large size dogs.
- Open Farm dog food features natural, high-quality, human-grade, and non-GMO ingredients.
- Open Farm offers different foods (dry dog, wet dog food, treats, raw dog food, bone broth) and supplements for dogs of all life stages (from puppy recipes to senior recipes).
What is Open Farm Dog Food?
Open Farm is a dog food company based in Toronto, Canada but operates in the United States as well. The company was founded by a couple looking for better options for their dogs. The founders were inspired by a need to create dog food that was not only good for dogs but for the environment as well.
As a company, Open Farm dog food has a very strong emphasis on sustainability and ethical sourcing of ingredients. All the ingredients in a particular bag of food that was sourced are traceable to their origins. Most of the ingredients are sourced from small family farmers who meet Open Farm’s minimum standards.
Those standards include a promise to treat animals well and never to use antibiotics and growth hormones on the animals.
Where is Open Farm Dog Food Made?
Open Farm dog food is made in the United States, more specifically in Minnesota.
How is Open Farm Dog Food Made?
The process of manufacturing Open Farm products differs according to the type of food. It is minimally processed, and most of the processing is done at low temperatures to preserve nutrients and freshness in the food.
The ingredients used in Open Farm dog food are sourced from the US and other countries like Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and Honduras. All the meat is obtained from humane farms, and the fish is sourced via sustainability standards set by Ocean Wise.
Is Open Farm Good for Dogs?
Yes, Open Farm dog food is good. The food is made from the highest quality ingredients and superfoods that ensure premium nutrition quality for your dog. The food is also free of any potentially harmful ingredients like preservatives, by-products, GMOs, and fillers.
Pets currently eating Open Farm dog food are in good health, some in even better health than before they started on the food.
Open Farm Dog Food Reviewed
Open Farm is a wonderful dog food company whose products truly reflect its mission to feed dogs better. The recipes are carefully crafted to meet most dogs’ nutrition needs.
The food only uses healthy ingredients that are ethically sourced to protect the environment and support animal welfare.
Open Farm dog food promises a product that is nutritionally balanced to meet your dog’s needs. Keep reading to find out if the company lives up to its promise.
Open Farm Dog Food Formulas:
- Open Farm Dry Dog Food
- Homestead Turkey & Chicken Dry Dog Food
- Homestead Turkey & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- Harvest Chicken & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- Grass-Fed Beef Dry Dog Food
- Grass-Fed Beef & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- Wild-Caught Salmon Dry Dog Food
- Wild-Caught Salmon & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- New Zealand Venison Dry Dog Food
- New Puppy Pack Salmon
- Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Ancient Grains High-Protein Puppy Food
- New Puppy Pack
- Puppy Essentials Pack
- Senior Dry Dog Food
- Pasture-Raised Lamb Dry Dog Food
- Pasture-Raised Lamb & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- Catch-of-the-Season Whitefish Dry Dog Food
- Catch-of-the-Season Whitefish & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- Farmer’s Table Pork Dry Dog Food
- Farmer’s Table Pork & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food
- Open Farm Wet Dog Food
- Open Farm Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food
- Open Farm Gently Cooked Dog Food
- Open Farm Dog Treats
- Open Farm Bone Broth and Supplements for Dogs
What’s in an Open Farm Dog Food Subscription:
In your Open Farm dog food subscription, you will get the products you chose at checkout at a 5% discount. The subscription is totally customizable, so you can pause, change, or even cancel whenever you please.
Open Farm Dog Food Pros:
- Variety of options to choose from. Open Farm dog food offers a wide selection of food options so even the pickiest eaters can find something that suits them.
- High-quality ingredients. Open Farm dog food is made with only natural healthy ingredients that you can recognize and pronounce.
- Personalized meal plan. The food your dog gets from Open Farm is designed to match her exact needs so she never misses out on any nutrients she needs.
- Offers grain-free and gluten-free options for dogs with allergies and sensitivities.
- Minimal processing. Open Farm dog food is very minimally processed to preserve the existing nutrients in the food.
- Convenient for pet parents. Open Farm food saves you some time and effort when planning and preparing food for your dog.
- A great option for eco-conscious parents. For those to whom ethical sourcing and sustainability are crucial values, Open Farms is certainly the right option.
Open Farm Dog Food Cons:
- Pricier than regular kibble. Higher-quality dog food usually comes at a higher cost to the pet parent.
Open Farm Dog Food Reviews:
Open Farm dog food reviews are very positive. The food is highly rated on the company site and other third-party sites like Amazon. Customers say their dogs love it, and some even eat it exclusively without topping it with other alternatives.
Most pet parents had no trouble transitioning their dogs from their former diet to Open Farm. In fact, most dogs were happy to make the change. Some pet parents even report seeing some improvement in health after starting Open Farm’s food.
How does Open Farm Dog Food Work?
To subscribe to Open Farm dog food, you will start by personalizing your dog’s order. Click on “Take the Quiz”. This is done by submitting some information on your dog, which includes:
- Your dog’s name
- Activity level
- Health goals
- Choice of protein
- The food your dog is eating currently
- Your email (optional)
After submitting this information, your dog’s personalized meal plan will be generated and sent to you by email. You can then choose between a one-time purchase and a subscription plan.
If you opt a subscription plan, you can choose the frequency of delivery you prefer. Available options range from every two to eight weeks. The subscription is fully customizable, you can cancel or edit it at any time.
What Ingredients does Open Farm Dog Food Use?
Open Farm takes pride in the high quality of ingredients they use in their food.
The main ingredients in Open Farm dry dog food are:
- Meat. This is the first ingredient in each recipe. Types of meat used include turkey, chicken, whitefish meal, beef, and lamb. Meat is a good source of protein which is why Open Farm food has a high protein content.
- Grains and Other Carbs. These include oats, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and pumpkin. In addition to being a source of energy, they also provide a wide variety of minerals including potassium, zinc, and iron.
- Chia Seeds. These tiny seeds are a great source of unsaturated fatty acids, including heart-healthy omega-3s. They also provide fiber and calcium.
- Coconut Oil. This is another source of healthy fat that acts as a source of energy but also offers other benefits like improving coat appearance.
- Fruits and Vegetables. These include carrots, apples, beetroot, and cranberries. They provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support the overall health of a dog.
The main ingredients in Open Farm wet dog food are:
- Meat. This is the main ingredient in each recipe. Types of meat used are beef, turkey, chicken, salmon, mackerel, and herring. Some recipes even contain two types of meat, boosting their protein even further.
- Pumpkin. This is a great source of a type of vitamin A known as Beta-carotene.
- Vegetables. Veggies included in Open Farm’s wet food are spinach, green beans, and carrots. They provide many micronutrients, including potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin A and phytochemicals that have antioxidant properties.
- Turmeric. One of the most potent antioxidants in the world, turmeric will help your dog’s body fight oxidative stress triggered by disease-causing free radicals.
The main ingredients in Open Farm’s freeze-dried raw dog food are:
- Meat. This is the main ingredient in each recipe. Depending on the flavor, the types of meat used are beef, turkey, salmon, lamb, and pork.
- Squash. Close to pumpkin in nutrition, squash is also a good source of vitamin A and also provides some gut-healthy dietary fiber.
- Fruits and Vegetables. These include spinach, carrots, kale, and blueberries. Together they provide your dog with vitamins, minerals, and healthy antioxidants.
- Coconut Oil. This is a good source of fat which provides energy to the body.
The main ingredients in Open Farm’s gently cooked dog food are:
- Meat. The meat options in the cooked food are beef, salmon, turkey, and chicken. They are all excellent sources of high-quality complete protein that supports tissue growth and repair in your dog.
- Fruits and Vegetables. These include carrots, kale, zucchini, squash, and apples. Fruits and vegetables are the best sources of vitamins and minerals in the diet. They also provide healthy antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals.
- Coconut Oil. This is a healthy source of fat for the body.
The main ingredients in Open Farm’s dog treats are:
- Meat. This is the main ingredient in each treats recipe. The types of meat used are cod, beef, turkey, chicken, and pork. These ensure that your dog is getting enough protein even between meals.
- Field Peas. These act as an additional source of protein but also offer fiber and other micronutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and iron.
- Rosemary Extract. Derived from natural rosemary, this extract adds the same antioxidants found in the whole plant to your dog’s meals.
The main ingredients in Open Farm’s bone broth are:
- Bone Broth. The bone broth is made by lightly simmering beef, chicken, and turkey bones. Bone broth is one of the best sources of collagen in the diet. Collagen is a connective tissue that is an essential component of many important organs in the body, including blood vessels and the skin.
- Carrots. These are a good source of vitamin A, a very potent antioxidant and a key element in eye health.
- Pumpkin. This is a good source of fiber and beta-carotene.
Open farm also offers a range of dairy-based drink supplements. The main ingredients in Open Farm’s supplements are:
- Milk. The types of milk in Open Farm’s supplements are cow milk and goat milk. Both are good sources of protein and minerals, particularly calcium, which is essential for strong healthy bones.
- Herbs. Open farm’s supplements contain herbs such as cinnamon, ginger, chamomile, and turmeric. Each herb possesses many health benefits; for example, chamomile can help induce sleep and relaxation, turmeric is a powerful antioxidant, cinnamon supports digestion, and ginger is a great nausea aid.
- Fruits and Vegetables. Some blends contain fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, raspberries, carrots, and squash.
- Our fresh Pacific salmon recipe is made with fish that is wild-caught using only the recommended sustainable fishing practices that are 100% Ocean Wise certified, so you can feel good about the food in your dog’s bowl.
- Open Farm's Wild-Caught Salmon & Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food formula is loaded with meaty animal protein, whole ancient grains, and pure local produce without antibiotics, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Dogs crave meat by natural instinct, so our recipe makes it the first ingredient. We skip the legumes, corn, and wheat in favor of smart superfoods like non-GMO chicory root, turmeric, and coconut oil for complete diet balance.
Has Open Farm Dog Food Been Recalled?
No, Open Farm dog food hasn’t been recalled.
How Much does Open Farm Dog Food Cost?
Open Farm dog food starts as low as $12 for a bag of treats and varies widely depending on your dog. Among the food categories, dry food is the least expensive, starting at only $19.99. You can always get a 5% discount by signing onto the subscription.
Is Open Farm Dog Food Worth it?
Yes, Open Farm dog food is worth it. The food is healthy and meets all the AAFCO nutrition guidelines. It contains natural healthy ingredients that are ethically and sustainably sourced. We think the food is certainly worth it especially if you are a dog owner that prefers to shop responsibly.