Open Farm is a pet food company that aims to provide premium grade grain-free food as well as treats for pets. They focus on providing sustainability, accessibility, and high-quality ingredients as far as their products are concerned.
At veterinarians.org, we adored their attention to pets with special needs and the fact that some of their products cater specifically for these unique needs.
- Open Farm is a pet food company which is based in Canada
- You can purchase Open Farm products on openfarmpet.com
- The primary categories of products that they sell are food, treats, supplements, and food toppers
- Their products are both ethically and sustainably sourced
- Open farm is a brilliant choice for pet owners and pets from all walks of life
First-time customers can also get 20% off their first auto-ship order using the code VET20!
What is Open Farm?
Open Farm is a pet food company based in Canada. This pet food company aims to provide premium grain-free food and treats for pets. The Open Farm company focuses on sustainability, accessibility, and high-quality ingredients. They have a climate strategy commitment and certified humane products that are meticulously sourced, vetted, and traceable.
The company was founded after Jacqueline Prehogan rescued her first dog. As an animal lover, she wanted to find nutrient-rich rich pet food that wouldn’t compromise her ideals. After not finding anything that met her standards on the market, she, along with her husband and brother-in-law, founded Open Farm in 2014.
Who Owns Open Farm?
Open Farm is privately owned by co-founders Derek Beigleman, Isaac Langleben, and Jacqueline Prehogan. It has had several private equity funding rounds from General Atlantic and Encore Consumer Capital.
Where are Open Farm Products Made?
Open Farm pet food and its other products are made in Minnesota in the United States. These animal products are audited to ensure they have no preservatives, fillers, or artificial flavors in them. Their products are sourced from human-grade ingredients that are non-gmo.
What does Open Farm Sell?
Open Farm sells many pet food products, from meals to treats. Some of the products offered by Open Farm on their website include the ones listed below:
What Dog Products does Open Farm Sell?
Open Farm sells several different types of dog products. The primary categories include food, treats, supplements, and toppers. All these products are certified humane, meaning they are raised and handled to environmental standards. The seafood ingredients are also ocean wise recommended, and all of these ingredients are sustainable.
What Dog Food Does Open Farm Sell?
Dogs often have special diet restrictions that need unique ingredients. Sometimes dogs in different life stages will need to follow a particular regimen. The list of Open Farm dog food is listed below:
- Dry Food: There are many dry dog food options that include Surf & Turf, Grass-Fed Beef, Pasture-Raised lamb, and Ancient Grains. These superfoods are dense in essential nutrients and have a high-meat and low-carb configuration. Some of these contain brown rice, which is a great way to keep your dog’s heart healthy.
- Wet Food: Wet dog food categories come in harvest chicken, salmon, whitefish, and herring meat meals.
- Freeze-Dried Raw: Freeze-Dried Raw dog foods give dogs a mix of protein and organic fruits and vegetables. The first ingredient is typically a type of meat like lamb, chicken, or pork, followed by organic carrots, organic squash, or organic blueberries. You will also find non-gmo coconut oil packed into many of these dishes.
- Gently Cooked: Dog food from this category comes in four varieties and is offered at a more premium price. People can purchase Grass-Fed Beef, Surf & Turf, Homestead Turkey, Wild-Caught Salmon, or Harvest Chicken recipes. In addition to the different proteins, you will also find carrots, kale, apples, and butternut squash.
What Dog Treats Does Open Farm Sell?
Every dog loves a delicious treat. It is even better if these treats are guilt-free for the owner. Open Farm sells a single category of treats which includes the following:
- Dehydrated Treats: Cod Skins treats have a crunchy texture and are made from Ocean Wise approved cod. They are cooked briefly before being dehydrated. The cod is sustainably caught in cold water and is an excellent source of lean protein.
Their Dehydrated Beef treats are made from certified humane grass-fed beef and dehydrated at low temperatures. This beef is combined with field peas and rosemary extract to produce a delicious and nutritious dog treat.
Dehydrated chicken treats allow pet owners to breathe easy, knowing these are made from 100% traceable ingredients and humanely raised chickens. These chickens are vegetarian and fed without antibiotics or growth hormones. The Dehydrated Turkey treats are packaged in recyclable TerraCycle packaging that is sustainable.
Dehydrated Pork treats are farmer’s table pork treats that blend senior recipes and high-quality ingredients. It is a gluten-free blend that is free from glycerin.
What Dog Supplements Does Open Farm Sell?
Open Farm sells five different supplement categories for dogs that are designed to focus on different health improvements. These dog supplements include the following:
- Hip & Join Supplement Chews: This supplement has a formula that supports hip, joint, mobility, and cartilage health. It is made with green-lipped mussel and plenty of Vitamin C.
- Probiotic Supplement Chews: Probiotics help dogs that suffer from indigestion. They introduce nutrients that help support healthy gut bacteria and increase the regularity of bowel movements.
- Skin & Coat Supplement Chews: A supplement that aims to increase the moisture of a dog’s coat and skin. It is rich in Omega 3, which is an essential nutrient for a healthy canine. This recipe and ingredients promote a softer and shinier dog coat.
- Calming Supplement Chews: This package contains 90 soft chew tablets that promote calmness, relaxation, and balanced behavior. It contains vet-recommended ingredients to help with separation anxiety and frightening car rides. The main ingredients are hemp seed oil, passionflower, and chamomile. These natural, organic herbs relax muscles and soothe irritated skin and eyes.
- Immune Supplement Chews: A catch-all supplement made with reishi mushrooms and bromelain. You will also find turmeric and apple cider vinegar, each with supporting anti-bacterial properties that engage the dog’s natural immune system. Many ingredients serve as antioxidants, which prevent damage done to cells on a molecular level from unstable molecules in our environment.
What Dog Food Broths and Toppers Does Open Farm Sell?
Open Farm sells broths and toppers that can kick your dog’s meals up to the next level. Some of the product options are listed below:
- Bone Broth: One type of bone broth, the Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth, is a collagen-rich topper that is made with grass-fed bones and non-GMO vegetables. You can use it to help rehydrate freeze-dried products or use it as a kibble topper. It comes in 12 and 32 fl oz sizes. The Homestead Turkey Bone Broth contains slow-simmered vegetables like carrots, pumpkins, and turmeric that complement the farm fresh turkey bones. These carrots have beta-carotene that helps promote healthy cell growth in dogs.
Many dogs prefer the Harvest Chicken Bone Broth, which contains sustainable and humanely raised chicken bones that are combined with organic vegetables and herbs. The primary nutrient in this recipe is collagen, which promotes healthy joints and skin.
There is also a Bone Broth Bundle, a combination bundle that combines beef bone broth, chicken bone broth, and turkey bone broth.
- Goat Milk: This probiotic milk is certified humane and contains a powerful probiotic formula. It contains anti-inflammatory cinnamon spice and antioxidant turmeric spices. The goat’s milk comes from pasture-raised goats that can freely roam outside cages.
What Cat Products does Open Farm Sell?
Open Farms sells cat products that come in four different varieties: dry, wet, broths, and toppers. Each cat product can be divided further into different categories based on a cat’s life cycle and individual needs. Dry cat food is generally cheaper and lasts longer, while wet cat food is good at fighting dehydration. It is recommended that you deliver cat food at a feeding station to help avoid nausea from overeating or undereating.
What Cat Food Does Open Farm Sell?
Open Farm sells a wide variety of cat food options, each with different ingredients. Some of the cat food options include the following:
- Dry Cat Food: One type of dry cat food is the Homestead Turkey & Chicken Dry Cat Food. This turkey and chicken blend combines different proteins to ensure your cat gets the best combination. It is paired with cranberries and dandelion greens that contain important Vitamin C and fiber.
The salmon blend is excellent for supporting the growth of healthy skin and a shiny coat for your cat. It contains Oceans Wise-approved wild-caught salmon that contains Omega 3 fatty acids and other essential nutrients. These salmon are free from antibiotics and are caught sustainably.
Some prefer the Catch-of-the-Season Whitefish Dry Cat Food, a dry cat food blend that only contains ocean-caught fish. None of the fish come from fish farms, and all of the vegetables are non-GMO. These vegetables include cranberries, garbanzo beans, coconut oil, pumpkins, and apples.
Another popular choice is Pasture-Raised Lamb Dry Cat Food. This dry cat food contains lamb in New Zealand that is 100% pasture raised. Lamb is an excellent source of protein and healthy fats and is lower in allergenicity. This means that cats with sensitive stomachs can tolerate lamb much better than other meats.
- Wet Cat Food: One example in their product line is the Harvest Chicken Rustic Blend. It is a wet cat food that contains Omega 6 fatty acid that aids skin and hair growth. The mix also contains pumpkins, carrots, spinach, cranberry, and coconut oil. Each of these complements the protein with extra nutrients like fiber, Vitamin C, manganese, iron, copper, calcium, and potassium.
Another example is the Homestead Turkey Rustic Blend. This single-protein cat wet food contains a mixture of dandelion greens and coconut oil. The turkey is raised without antibiotics with 100% human-grade ingredients. It is high in protein and contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors. All the ingredients are 100% traceable. The Chicken & Salmon Rustic Blend is a combination meal with non-GMO ingredients that blends two different types of proteins. It contains no grains or potatoes, and the salmon is wild caught.
The Herring & Mackerel Rustic Blend is yet another recipe. It is a good source of DHA and Omega 3 fatty acids for an adorable cat. The mixed vegetables give it extra fiber, making it great for digestive health.
Some cat owners are big fans of the Grass-Fed Beef Rustic Blend. This wet recipe contains 100% human-grade beef. It is high in protein, and the beef comes from audited high-welfare farms.
The Wild-Caught Salmon Rustic Blend is a cat food recipe that contains wild-caught salmon and a blend of carrots and pumpkins. It also contains spinach, cranberry, and coconut oil, providing omega-9 fatty acids and numerous vitamins.
What Cat Food Broths and Toppers Does Open Farm Sell?
Broths and toppers make an excellent supplement to a cat’s food bowl. There are a few types of broths and toppers available, which are listed below:
- Bone Broth: Cat bone broth is rich in collagen from sustainably raised protein and non-GMO vegetables. The pumpkin in these blends is a good source of fiber and beta-carotene. Both of these nutrients help digestion and healthy skin growth. They are gently simmered in small batches and act as a nutritious way to rehydrate a raw recipe. These bone broths are rich in protein while staying low in fat, making them a healthy choice for a cat of any age.
- Goat Milk: The goat milk options for cats come in digestion blends, relaxation blends, and antioxidant blends. Each of these helps support different ailments a cat may be struggling with. If your cat struggles with anxiety, you may want the relaxation blend, while the digestion blend helps a nauseous cat.
Is Open Farm a Good Brand?
Yes, Open Farm is a good brand for a variety of reasons. One reason is that all of their products are ethically and sustainably sourced. Not only does this ensure that their ingredients are high-quality, but it also guarantees highly nutritious meals. Another reason Open Farm is a good brand is that they audit all the farms their proteins come from, giving pet owners a guilt-free way to reward their pets.
Where can I Buy Open Farm Products?
Do Vets Recommend Open Farm Products?
Yes, Vets recommend Open Farm pet food products because they contain organic and non-GMO ingredients. Vets often recommend food brands to help a pet live a long and healthy life.
Why Choose Open Farm?
Open farm is an excellent choice for pet owners with pets from all walks of life. Paying for high-quality meals for your pet now will pay dividends later on in your pet’s life cycle. With Open Farm products, you can help your pet maintain a shiny coat, reduce anxiety, and ensure they always get high-quality ingredients.
If you are a pet owner who likes making the world a better place, Open Farm is also an excellent choice. It has been featured in Forbes, the Huffington Post, and the New York Post for its sustainability efforts and animal ethics. All of the ingredients are 100% traceable, meaning you will know precisely the farm where each protein and vegetable comes from.
“The difference of a high-quality diet is reflected in the lives of our pets and takes the form of an overall improvement to their quality of life. Investing in premium food and supplements for your dog or cat’s nutrition will work wonders for them during disease, and throughout growing older.” – Alysper M. Cormanes, DVM