Best Organic Dog Food Summary
- Best Overall Organic Dog Food: Castor & Pollux ORGANIX Organic Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Affordable organic dog food made with free-range chicken that ensures your pet has a healthy meal each time.
- Best Canned Organic Dog Food: Newman’s Own Organics Canned Dog Food
Trustworthy canned dog food made with high-quality organic ingredients and suited for dogs of all ages.
- Best Grain-Free Organic Dog Food: Tender & True Organic Grain-Free Dog Food
Balanced grain-free, organic dog food made with chicken sourced from domestic US farmers.
- Most Versatile Organic Dog Food Formula: Party Animal California Dry Dog Food
Made with USDA-certified organic chicken as the first ingredient and rich in various fruits and vegetables.
- Best High-Protein Organic Dog Food: Purina Beyond High Protein Organic Dry Dog Food
Delicious dry dog food with organic chicken, organic coconut oil, organic sweet potatoes, and organic pea hulls.
- Most Options for Organic Dog Food: The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Dog Food
Human-grade and delicious organic dog food recipe made with a mix of antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies.
- USDA organic certified grain free dry dog food that is made with organic chicken raised without any added growth hormones or antibiotics
- Natural dog food that is nutrient packed with a blend of superfoods, including organic flaxseed, organic blueberries and organic sweet potatoes
- This Non GMO dog food recipe is made without corn, wheat, soy, chickpeas or lentils
What is Organic Dog Food?
Organic dog food is dog food made with methods and standards that are compliant with organic farming. Organic farming includes resource cycling, ecological balance promotion, and biodiversity conservation.
Organic dog food must be free from pesticides, preservatives, hormones, antibiotics, and artificial additives. The ingredients of any organic dog food must not be grown in chemical fertilizer, genetically engineered, or irradiated in any way.
Certified organic foods for dogs carry the label “organic“ and need to be compliant with all AAFCO and FDA standards.
Is Organic Dog Food Better?
Yes, organic dog food can promote better health and wellbeing for your pet. This is mainly because of the lack of harmful constituent ingredients.
The right dietary choices can help dogs manage allergies, anxiety, aching joints, and sore muscles. Dog owners that are confused with the array of dog food options on the market should seek help from a veterinary nutritionist.
What are the Benefits of Organic Dog Food?
From boosting gut health to supporting immunity to managing allergies – organic dog food comes with several benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the benefits of organic food for dogs:
- Digestive Health. An organic diet is much easier for the dog’s body to digest. Pet owners report regular bowel movements and correction of pre-existing diarrhea or constipation after switching to an organic diet. Plus, when feeding organic high-quality dog food, you can use smaller portions – organic food is loaded with the necessary nutrients and free from bulks and fillers.
- Skin Conditions and Allergies. Organic dog food is perfect for managing skin issues. Chemicals, additives, pesticides, and artificial components contribute to dog allergies. Therefore, removing these elements significantly reduces the chance of an allergic reaction. Such organic foods can also be used in the elimination phases of allergy tests.
- Healthy Weight. Organic dog food is free from bulk fillers. Therefore, your dog won’t have to overeat in order to feel full and content. Obesity is a real issue when it comes to dog health and we believe that prevention truly is the best medicine. An organic diet will ensure that your dog gets all of the nutrients necessary without any of the extra “junk” that fills so many bags of commercial dog food.
- Energy Levels. Additionally, organic food provides your pet with all the fuel it needs for being the best, playful version of itself due to the fact that organic ingredients contain larger amounts of nutrient-dense calories.
- Overall Health & Immunity. Your dog doesn’t need to be suffering from weight issues or skin ailments to benefit from an organic diet. In fact, natural dog food proves to be incredibly effective in disease prevention as well as a key component in ensuring a long, happy life. Plus, organic food is loaded with fruits and veggies that contain immunity-boosting nutrients.
- No Tricky Ingredients. Finally, organic dog food doesn’t contain animal by-products, potential allergens (like gluten), and undefined fillers. These ingredients are found in more commercial pet foods than you might think. Choosing organic ensures that your dog’s food contains only the highest quality of meat and produce.
The Best Organic Dog Food Reviewed
There are plenty of different organic dog food formulas on the market. To help pet owners navigate through the choices, we have selected and reviewed the best organic foods.
Summary: This organic dry dog food is made up of human-grade ingredients and delivers enhanced nutrition for your furry friend. It uses organic chicken and offers a great taste for your four-legged friend. The product is made in a certified kitchen in the USA.
- Organic free-range chicken
- Balanced and USDA certified formula
- Free from artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors
- With blueberries and sweet potatoes
- Small kibble unfit for large breed dogs
- Organic Chicken. This is the perfect ingredient that adds body to the meal. It offers the maximum protein content in the meal
- Organic Chicken Meal. This ingredient is not only high in protein but also great for adding the necessary flavor that your dog might need
- Organic Sweet Potatoes. This works to balance the diet by adding fiber to the meal. It is also full of antioxidants and other essential nutrients
- Organic Potatoes. Perfect for adding a bit of fiber and necessary carbohydrates
- Organic Peas. Adds the vegetable component to the meal and makes it balanced for your dog’s health
Review: This is the most affordable and well-established brand on Amazon today. They ensure the use of certified organic ingredients and offer delicious food for both large and small breed dogs. They are available as both dry and wet dog food.
Summary: This organic canned dog food is perfect for dogs of all age groups and made using premium organic natural ingredients. Additionally, it does not contain any wheat or corn. There is no use of artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Trustworthy and reputed brand
- Highly palatable dog food formula
- Poultry-based with fiber-rich organic brown rice
- Can be used on its own or as a dry kibble topping
- Wet food may cause diarrhea in some dogs
- Organic Turkey. Turkey is known to have better nutritional properties than any other poultry making it a great fit for your dog
- Poultry Liver. Chicken liver contains several key nutrients that offer a balanced diet for your dog
- Organic Chicken. Chicken is the most common source of protein and can help your dog feel a sense of being full after the meal
- Ocean Whitefish. Fish contains several anti-oxidants and oils that offer several benefits to your dog
- Organic Brown Rice. Rice is a great source of carbs and fiber. This can be light on your dog’s digestive system
Review: This dog food contains premium ingredients and can be served as it is or as a topping on your dog’s kibble. It contains organic ingredients and can help boost your dog’s health.
Summary: This grain-free dog food is made with USDA Certified organic chicken. With added vitamins, minerals, and other trace nutrients, this provides a well-balanced meal for your dog. Additionally, it is great for dogs of all ages and helpful if your dog eats a lot.
- Perfect for dogs of all ages
- Organic meat as main ingredient
- Free from antibiotics and growth hormones
- With chickpeas and flaxseed
- Can cause food allergies in some dogs
- Organic Chicken. This is the top pick ingredient in any meal and can provide the base of your dog’s diet
- Organic Chicken Meal. This ingredient, if made with quality ingredients can substitute raw food at every life stage
- Organic Tapioca Starch. This provides the necessary carbohydrates that your dog requires for an energy-packed day
- Organic Chickpea. Chickpea can be the perfect dog treat and also provide the beneficial nutrients that they need
- Organic Flaxseed Meal. Non-GMO flaxseed helps with digestive issues and can help with the overall health of your dog
Review: This dog food is available as both dry and canned food. It uses a premium chicken recipe that is suitable for young and adult dogs. It is also among the top-selling dog food brand on Chewy. The first ingredient is organic chicken which forms the base of the meal. Therefore, it is not only healthy but also tasty.
Summary: This dry dog food is a great source of protein that supports lean, healthy muscles. In addition to USDA-certified organic chicken, it also contains organic carrots, broccoli, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. It does not contain any corn, wheat, or artificial stuff.
- Premium quality ingredients
- With organic, cruelty-free chicken
- Maintain your pup’s lean muscle mass
- Rich in omega-3 and 6 fatty acids
- Ingredients sourced from the USA
- More expensive than similar products
- Organic Chicken. Organic chicken that is grown in a stress-free environment makes up the bulk of this dog food and is a great source of protein
- Chicken Meal. This is the second most abundant ingredient and offers nutritional value to your pet’s meals
- Organic Oats. These comprise the whole grains that were used to add essential nutrients and fiber to your pet’s diet
- Organic Barley. Barley is a good source of energy and can keep your pet warm on cold days
- Organic Peas . Peas work as a great source of vegetable fiber and help to boost your dog’s digestive system
Review: This dog food brand is among the most premium product available and is among the topper on the list. It offers several benefits including nutrition and enhanced digestion. It also keeps your pet warm and gives them a shiny coat.
Summary: This wholesome dry kibble is the perfect addition to your pet’s diet. Every bag that you buy contains the USDA Certified Organic Seal. Therefore it does not contain any synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics, growth hormones, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- Free-range chicken sourced in the USA
- Builds strong muscles
- Additionally packed with antioxidants
- Free from corn, wheat, soy, or by-products
- Canola oil is a controversial ingredient
- Organic Chicken. Forms the base of the meal and adds the necessary protein for your dog’s diet
- Organic Chicken Meal. Helps to add the bulk to the meal and also helps to build immunity
- Organic Cassava Root Flour. This adds the necessary starch and carbohydrates
- Organic Pea Starch. Helps to add fiber and provides the necessary energy to play and run around the whole day
- Organic Canola Meal. Acts like a binder to bring all ingredients together
Review: This dog food contains recognizable ingredients you can trust and natural probiotics that help with digestion. It might be a great addition to your dog’s diet as a meal in itself or as a topping with other dog foods.
Summary: This dog food uses natural ingredients that do not contain any chemicals, fillers, or even by-products. However, the only organic ingredient used in their recipe are certified organic grains. While the entire formula is not organic, the grains are. But all ingredients they source are all-natural otherwise.
- Great diet addition and potent nutrient booster
- Ideal for dogs with meat sensitivities
- It uses 100% human-grade ingredients
- Suitable for dogs of all age groups
- The protein levels might be a bit low
- Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes. Great source of carbohydrates, this helps boost your pet’s overall energy
- Dehydrated Peas. This adds fiber to your pet’s diet giving them an enhanced digestive system
- Dehydrated Cabbage. Help add anti-oxidants that your pet might otherwise miss out on
- Dried Organic Coconut. This is great for adding necessary fiber to your pet’s meal
- Dried Apples. Help to keep the doctor away by boosting your pet’s immunity
Review: This is a great source of essential nutrients that your pet might need in addition to protein in the form of meat or fish. This is good for dogs of all age groups and is a quick way to whip up wholesome dog food instantly.
What is the Best Organic Dog Food for Dogs?
Castor & Pollux ORGANIX Organic Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is the best organic dog food on the market. This is mainly because of how this product is manufactured.
There are a few factors that go into deciding the best organic dog food. Let’s review each of them.
- Transparent Labels. A reliable dog food brand will display all information in a clear and non-misleading way. Go through the labels carefully, and refer to the nutrition table for more detailed information.
- Type of Ingredients. Check all ingredients – even organic chicken is not healthy if your dog has chicken allergies. Always make sure all ingredients in the formula are good for your dog.
- Sourcing. Reputable dog food manufacturers are open about how they source their ingredients. This can give you a general idea of the quality of the ingredients. Ideally, all of the ingredients will be sourced locally.
- Minimal Processing. When choosing organic dog food (kibble, pate, or treats), ensure the product is minimally processed. Healthy food needs to be as close as possible to the real thing. This is because high-pressure processing (HPP kills good bacteria dogs need for a healthy gut.
- No Sketchy Ingredients. Stay away from food formulas with artificial colors or flavors, preservatives, byproducts, and unnecessary fillers. GMO ingredients, meat containing hormones, steroids, or antibiotics, and 3D/4D meats (made from dead, dying, diseased, or disabled animals) are hazardous.
How do I Know if a Dog Food is Organic?
There are a few ways by which we can know if any dog food is organic. If you see the “USDA Organic” label or “Certified Organic” seal on your food, it means that item must have an ingredients list and the contents must be 95% or more certified organic.
Furthermore, according to the USDA, the product must be free of synthetic additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and dyes, and cannot be processed using industrial solvents, irradiation, or genetic engineering. Finally, the remaining 5% of the product may only be foods or processed with additives from a USDA-approved list.