Related Articles: PetPlate
PetPlate Dog Food Summary
- PetPlate is a dog food subscription service specializing in freshly cooked food for dogs of all life stages.
- The PetPlate meals are only available on a customizable subscription basis. You get to choose how often and how much gets delivered to your dog.
- All PetPlate dog food is prepared, cooked, and packaged in the US.
- PetPlate offers six formulas of dog food: Barkin’Beef, Chompin’Chicken, Tail Waggin’ Turkey, Lip Lickin’Lamb, Power-Packed Pork, and Lean & Mean Venison.
What is PetPlate Dog Food?
PetPlate is a dog food delivery service founded by Renaldo Webb in 2016 and is currently based in New York. You may recognize the brand from a PetPlate Shark Tank episode that aired in 2016.
PetPlate dog food specializes in healthy, freshly cooked meals. The subscription service offers personalized meal plans to match your dog’s nutritional needs and taste. All PetPlate meals are designed by board-certified veterinary nutritionists and prepared by a chef to ensure maximum quality.
In addition to the entrees, PetPlate dog food also offers treats and supplements for dogs.
Where is PetPlate Dog Food Made?
All PetPlate dog food is made in USDA kitchens located in the United States.
How is PetPlate Dog Food Made?
PetPlate dog food is made from human-grade ingredients. All the food ingredients are fresh, whole, and unprocessed, which is excellent news for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
The ingredients are freshly prepped on site, cooked, and then packaged hot. Then, the food is flash-frozen to seal in all the freshness and nutrition.
Flash freezing is a food preservation method where the food is quickly frozen at extremely low temperatures. It is superior to traditional freezing since it preserves the freshness, taste, and nutritional value of the food.
Is PetPlate Dog Food Good for Dogs?
Yes, PetPlate dog food is good. PetPlate is whole human-grade food that offers a wide variety of nutrients to your dog. The service also offers personalization which ensures that your dog gets all the nutrients she needs to stay in good health.
PetPlate Dog Food Reviewed
Below is a summary of what we think makes PetPlate a great option for your dog. We have included a breakdown of all the formulas, what’s included in the subscription, and some of the pros and cons you can expect from using the service.
PetPlate Dog Food Formulas:
PetPlate offers a wide variety of formulas which includes six food flavors, treats, and supplements.
PetPlate Dog Food Summary:
PetPlate dog food is an excellent service. If you are looking for fresh food that your dog will enjoy and even benefit from, then PetPlate is right for you.
PetPlate dog food uses the best possible ingredients that ensure that the food is of the highest quality in regards to nutrition and taste. Your dog will get to enjoy delicious food that also nurtures her mind and body.
What’s in a PetPlate Dog Food Subscription:
In a PetPlate subscription, you get a two or three-week supply of dog food, depending on the plan you choose. There are two plans available: the Full Meal plan and the Topper Plan.
On the Full Meal Plan, all your dog’s meals are covered by PetPlate. When you sign up for this plan, you get two weeks’ worth of dog food delivered to your door every fortnight unless you change, pause, or cancel.
On the Topper Plan, only 25% of your dog’s calorie needs are covered by PetPlan. If you choose this plan, you get three weeks’ worth of dog food delivered to you unless you change, pause, or cancel.
Customers get a 61% discount on their first order if they choose to subscribe to any of the two plans.
PetPlate Dog Food Pros:
- Organic fresh, human-grade ingredients
- Meals are designed by experts (vets and chefs)
- Personalized meal plan
- Very convenient
- Option to add treats and supplements
PetPlate Dog Food Cons:
- Pricey compared to other types of dog food
- Requires freezer space, especially if you have a large dog or multiple dogs
- Comes with a significant amount of plastic packaging
PetPlate Dog Food Reviews:
Overall, customers are very pleased with PetPlate’s pet-food service. Customers say that the deliveries are always on time, and they never have to worry about where their dog’s next meal is coming from.
The plan saves them so much time as they don’t have to shop, prepare, and cook fresh food for their dogs every day. Most importantly, dogs love PetPlate as well.
They enjoy the food, and many are happy to lick the bowls clean after eating a whole meal. Many have also had an improvement in health after using the service for a while.
How does PetPlate Dog Food Subscription Work?
Signing up for the PetPlate dog food service starts with you entering your dog’s unique characteristics on PetPlate.com. At this stage, you will submit your dog’s features, including:
- Whether your dog is spayed or neutered
- Birth year and month (optional)
- Weight and ideal weight
- Activity level
- Description of your dog’s waistline
- Food sensitivities
- Need for dietary support
We’ve outlined the signup steps for you below with instructions.
After filling in all these details, you will have to choose from six flavors of food for your dog. PetPlate dog food encourages you to choose a variety to see which one your dog will love the most.
After selecting the flavors, you will enter your email, which will be used to keep track of your dog’s account.
Then you will be prompted to choose between the Full Meal Plan and the Topper Plan.
You will choose whether to add treats or supplements.
Finally, you will add your payment and delivery information.
You should receive your first shipment of PetPlate dog food within a couple of days, depending on your location. The food is packed with dry ice to ensure that it stays frozen and fresh during delivery.
What Ingredients does PetPlate Dog Food Use?
PetPlate dog food uses only human-grade high-quality ingredients. All the formulas are made to meet the minimum nutrient profile standards set by AAFCo for pet foods.
The PetPlate dog food doesn’t contain any fillers, junk, and artificial preservatives.
Here are the ingredients in the PetPlate Barkin’Beef formula:
- Ground Beef and Beef Liver. Beef is the main ingredient in this formula and acts as a source of protein. It is accompanied by beef liver which is also a good source of protein and other nutrients such as iron and vitamin A.
- Sweet Potatoes and Potatoes. These provide carbs along with micronutrients such as vitamin C and potassium.
- Carrots. Carrots are one of the best sources of vitamin A which is an essential nutrient for the immune system and skin health. They are also high-fiber food that helps maintain good gut health.
- Other Ingredients. Apples, peas, pumpkin, dicalcium phosphate, natural flavor, safflower oil, calcium carbonate, salmon oil, minerals (ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, manganese gluconate, magnesium oxide, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], vitamin D3 supplement), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), taurine, salt.
Here are the ingredients in the PetPlate Chompin’Chicken formula:
- Ground Chicken and Chicken Liver. These are the main sources of protein in this recipe.
- Sweet Potatoes. These provide energy-giving carbs and minerals like potassium.
- Green Beans and Lentils. Legumes act as an extra source of protein in this formula, in addition to providing micronutrients like folate. They are also great for bulking up meals without spiking the calorie content. This can be really helpful for overweight dogs trying to lose weight.
- Other Ingredients. Apples, dicalcium phosphate, safflower oil, natural flavor, ground flaxseed, calcium carbonate, salmon oil, salt, minerals (ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, riboflavin [vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], vitamin D3 supplement), potassium chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), taurine.
Here are the ingredients in the PetPlate Tail Wggin’Turkey:
- Ground Turkey and Turkey Liver. These are both good sources of complete protein. Turkey liver also provides other nutrients, including vitamin A, B vitamins, iron, and phosphorous.
- Brown Rice. Since it is a whole grain, brown rice adds fiber to the recipe. Fiber helps to maintain good gut health through its prebiotic properties. Brown rice also supplies a generous amount of vitamins and minerals like B1, B3, B6, and magnesium.
- Carrots and Green Beans. Vegetables bump up the micronutrient content of a meal. They also provide fiber and healthy phytochemicals, which help fight inflammation in the body.
- Other Ingredients. Apples, pumpkin, red bell peppers, wild rice, dicalcium phosphate, salmon oil, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, natural flavor, salt, minerals (ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, riboflavin [vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], vitamin D3 supplement), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), choline bitartrate, taurine.
Here are the ingredients in the PetPlate Lip Lickin’Lamb:
- Ground Lamb and Lamb Liver. The lamb meat is paired with lamb liver to give this recipe a rich protein content.
- Sweet Potatoes. Sweet potatoes act as a carbohydrate source that boosts the energy content of the food.
- Quinoa. This is a whole grain that boosts the fiber content of the recipe and also provides micronutrients like folate and other B vitamins.
- Other Ingredients. Broccoli, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, natural flavor, calcium carbonate, salmon oil, minerals (ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, manganese gluconate, magnesium oxide, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [Vitamin B1], vitamin D3 supplement), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), taurine, parsley.
Here are the ingredients in the PetPlate:
- Ground Pork and Pork Liver. Both are good protein sources. The liver also provides other nutrients like iron, vitamin A, and B vitamins.
- Barley. Barley is a good source of both digestible and undigestible carbs.
- Green Beans and Red Lentils. These legumes bump up the protein content of the recipe and also provide other nutrients like folate, fiber, and potassium.
- Other Ingredients. Carrots, red bell peppers, dicalcium phosphate, safflower oil, salt, ground flaxseed, salmon oil, calcium carbonate, salt, minerals (ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, magnesium oxide, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E acetate, riboflavin [vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], vitamin D3), potassium chloride, natural flavors, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), choline bitartrate, taurine
Here are the ingredients in the PetPlate Lean & Mean Venison:
- Ground Venison and Venison Liver. In case you didn’t know, venison is meat that comes from deer. It is excellent for dogs as it is lower in fat than common meats and is also less likely to contain hormones and antibiotics. It is just as rich in protein as common meat and also contains some micronutrients, particularly iron and B vitamins.
- Pasta and Potatoes. These act as carbohydrate sources that boost the energy content of the food.
- Apples. Apples are full of micronutrients like vitamin C and potassium.
- Other Ingredients. Green beans, sweet potatoes, carrots, red bell peppers, safflower oil, dicalcium phosphate, ground flaxseed, salmon oil, minerals (ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide, magnesium oxide), vitamins (vitamin E acetate, thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], folic acid [vitamin B9], cyanocobalamin [vitamin B12], vitamin D3), salt, calcium carbonate, natural flavor, salt, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), choline bitartrate, taurine, L-threonine
The ingredients in the PetPlate Chicken Apple Sausage Bites are organic chicken, organic apples, organic vegetables glycerin, organic pumpkin, organic vinegar powder, and organic rosemary extract.
The blend of chicken and fresh produce ensures that your dog gets a good balance of protein and essential vitamins, and minerals.
The main ingredients in PetPlate supplements are organic oats and organic chia seeds. Both of these are good sources of fiber and micronutrients. Oats provide energy, and chia seeds provide healthy unsaturated fats to the body.
The other ingredients in PetPlate supplements are organic vegetable glycerin, organic banana, organic pumpkin, organic cane molasses, organic coconut oil, organic whole dried eggs, dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Bacillus licheniformis fermentation product, natural organic flavor, organic rosemary extract, baking powder.
- Our high protein, grain-free beef recipe beats the competition by leaps and bounds. Perfectly crafted by our chefs to be nutritious and delicious, you’ll see why even the pickiest pups can’t stop barkin’ about how much they love this meal.
- Our meals are made with 100% human-grade ingredients and are kettle-cooked in a USDA kitchen, following the same safety standards used to make human food.
Has PetPlate Dog Food Been Recalled?
No, PetPlate dog food hasn’t been recalled.
How Much does PetPlate Dog Food Cost?
PetPlate dog food plans start at $0.43/day for the Topper Plan and $1.11/day for the Full Meal Plan. However, the cost varies widely according to your dog’s needs. Pet parents with larger dogs or multiple dogs will generally have higher costs.
The cost of PetPlate dog food also increases if you choose to add treats and supplements. A bag of 25-30 treats from PetPlate costs $8.95, while a bag of supplements with 28 cookies costs $13.95.
Is PetPlate Dog Food Worth it?
Yes, PetPlate dog food is worth it. Even though PetPlate costs a little bit more than traditional dog food, it is still worth it for many reasons.
First, the PetPlate dog food is made using high-quality human-grade ingredients that ensure not only optimal taste but also optimal nutrition for your dog. Secondly, the food is designed by experts who understand your dog’s needs. Finally, the service makes providing your pet with fresh dog food a very convenient experience that saves you time, effort, and money in some ways.