What Is the Best Plastic Dog House?
- Best Overall Plastic Dog House: Ferplast DogVilla Dog House
With its fold-out porch, interior drainage, and slanted roof, this dog kennel provides a well-ventilated and dry space for your pets.
- Best Plastic Dog House for Small Dogs: ZENY Water Resistant Plastic Dog House
The hollow plastic walls help to insulate the inside of this dog house, and the raised floor keeps small pets dry and off the ground.
- Best Igloo Style Plastic Dog House: Petmate Indigo All-Weather Protection Dog House
Boasting a payload of 1,500 pounds and an offset doorway to protect dogs from the wind, this igloo dog home is made in the USA with 90% recycled material.
- Best Easy Assembly Plastic Dog House: Petmate Aspen Pet Outdoor Dog House
There are only two pieces to this dog house that snap together with a few clips, making this extremely simple to assemble.
- Best Plastic Dog House for Medium Sized Dogs: Saicool Weather & Water Resistant Dog House with Air Vents and Elevated Floor
This small dog house is waterproof, which makes it great for protecting small and medium dogs from outdoor conditions.
- Best Ventilated Plastic Dog House: BestPet Plastic Dog House Waterproof with Air Vents and Elevated Floor
Waterproof, weatherproof, and elevated plastic house for dogs with proper air vents for safe and efficient ventilation.
- Best Outdoor Plastic Dog House: Starplast Easy to Assemble Weather & Water Resistant Outdoor Plastic Pet House
The plastic used to make this dog house is BPA-free and contains no phthalates, so it is non-toxic to heavy chewers.
- Ferplast DogVilla Dog House is made from anti-shock tough plastic that's waterproof and UV-rays resistant.
- Side panel opens into a porch providing additional living space and ventilation for your dog
- It is assembled using the fold-out door that is on the left or right side. It is perfect for smaller dog breeds.
Is a Plastic Dog House Good for Winter?
No, the plastic dog house is not the best option for winter.
During winter and in cold weather, the wood dog house is the best dog house.
Is a Plastic Dog House Better Than Wood?
No, a plastic dog house is not necessarily better than a wooden dog house.
It all depends on the application. For example, the wood dog house is better at retaining heat and is often more durable than plastic, but the plastic dog house is cheaper, easy to maintain, and does not require assembly.
Depending on the climate you live in, how energetic your dog is, and how DIY savvy you are, you may choose either type of dog house to suit your needs.
What Are Some Advantages of a Plastic Dog House?
Budget-friendly prices, easy assembly, convenience, and durability are the main advantages of the plastic dog house. Let’s take a look at each:
- Price. When compared to other materials dog houses are made of, plastic tends to be the most affordable.
- Assembly. Most plastic dog houses only require a bit of assembly, but many do not require any at all.
- Convenience. Most plastic dog houses do not require much assembly, if they require any at all. They are also lightweight and can easily be picked up and moved.
- Durability. Plastic has become one of the most durable materials on Earth. It is often more affordable than other materials and does a comparable job.
The Best Plastic Dog Houses Reviewed
Summary: The tough thermoplastic resin of this dog house makes it a great choice for outdoor use. The easy assembly can be completed in minutes and requires no tools. It features a wall that can fold down to create a porch for your pet that offers them better airflow and a bit more room to relax. The floor is raised off the ground and is made to drain moisture away from your pet once they are inside.
Features: Raised floor; Slanted roof; Fold out porch; Interior drainage system
Dimension: 28.75” x 23.25” x 20.9”
- Well ventilated
- Fold out porch
- Interior drainage system
- UV resistant and waterproof
- Multiple customers complained the pieces would not line up when they tried to assemble it
Review: Most customers who bought this dog house were happy with the quality, and their pets seemed to enjoy it as well. These buyers said it was everything they expected it to be and was “absolutely worth the price.”
The most common complaint was from people who received a damaged dog house.
Summary: The high-quality construction of this dog house provides a comfortable and superior activity space for your pets. The sloped roof drains water away from the entrance, and the raised floor keeps pets away from dirt and moisture.
This plastic dog house features dual air vents to keep the interior dry and fresh. The pet dog house is easy to assemble, and all required accessories are included.
Best For: Small and medium dogs
Features: Raised floor; Sloping roof; Dual air vents; Waterproof
Dimension: 27″ x 25.6″ x 27″
- Dual ventilation supports good airflow
- Raised base keeps water out
- Textured ramp helps pets get in and out of the dog house
- Removable roof makes cleaning easy
- Can be used as a dog or cat house
- Not ideal for large pets
- No doggy door
Review: Most dog owners who purchased this house were impressed. They were happy with everything from the price to the build and said it was easy to put together.
The most common complaint, however, was regarding the assembly. Consumers said the instructions were not included, and the process was problematic for them.
Summary: This large dog house is capable of housing dogs up to 125 lbs. and is made of 90% recycled materials. The shape of the house provides insulation from hot and cold weather, and an offset doorway shields pets from rain.
It features side motes for water runoff and raised floors to keep pets dry and comfortable. It is made in the USA with premium blended plastic for the best security and weatherproofing possible.
Best For: Dogs of all sizes
Features: Raised floor; Offset doorway; Large size; Side motes
Dimension: 43.8″ x 34″ x 25.8″
Material: Blended plastic
- The igloo shape is very durable
- Suitable for dogs up to 125 lbs
- Made in the USA with 90% recycled materials
- Weatherproof design
- Capable of handling up to 1,500 pounds stacked on top of it
- A bit pricey
Review: Over 80% of total ratings are positive, with the most common compliment being the build and construction. Dog owners were happy to find a sturdy dog house for their large and extra large dogs, as well as being happy they could provide an insulated dog house for their dogs, who spend most of their time outdoors.
Critical reviews say the sizing is inaccurate, and the product was damaged when they received it in the mail.
Summary: This durable plastic pet kennel is fit for dogs up to 50 lbs. It features a two-piece design that is quickly and easily assembled with only the use of a few clamps and clips.
An extended roof rim around the entrance helps to keep rainwater away, and a raised floor helps to keep the interior dry. This design is weather resistant and features one dog door so keeping safe from the wind is a breeze.
Best for: Dogs up to 50 lbs
Features: Rear air ventilation’; Extended roof rim; Easy assembly
Dimension: 26″ x 32″ x 24″
- Includes kennel training video
- Extended roof rim
- Easy to assemble
- Raised floor
- Rear air vents for better circulation
- Does not come with a door flap
Review: Happy pet owners were pleased to see their pets take to this dog house so quickly. They said their chickens, tortoises, and dogs all use it willingly, and they liked that it was so easy to put together.
Although they only made up 3% of total reviews, disappointed customers received packages that were missing pieces, and they were concerned the house would blow away because it is lightweight.
Summary: This plastic kennel is ideal for use in the backyard, patio, or deck. The design of this waterproof dog house has an asphalt roof, raised floor, and a single door that provides protection against the elements.
The easy-to-assemble and lightweight design includes all of the accessories needed to put this house together. The openable roof allows for easy cleaning, and the entire thing can simply be hosed down to provide a clean environment for your furry friend.
Best for: Small to medium size dogs
Features: Raised floor; Single door opening; Asphalt roof; Openable roof
Dimension: 22.83″ x 24″ x 21.65″
- Raised floor
- Openable asphalt roof
- Single doggy door opening
- Easy to assemble
- The plastic can become brittle with exposure to the sun
Review: There were only 10 ratings for this dog house and no reviews. All of the ratings were 4 and 5 stars.
Summary: The waterproof plastic this dog house is made of is also great at keeping the heat in. A removable roof makes cleaning a breeze, and the dual air vents ensure there is enough airflow.
The dog house is held together with clasps and screws and includes two ground spikes to attach it to the ground. It is easy to assemble and is designed to take one adult only 30 minutes to put together.
Best For: Dogs up to 100 lbs
Features: Heat insulating plastic; Dual air vents; Waterproof
Dimension: 41” x 37” x 38”
- Dual air vents
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Elevated floor
- Made of heat-insulating plastic
- Includes ground spikes to firmly attach it to the ground
- The removable roof can leak in the rain
Review: Happy dog owners said this outdoor shelter was very easy to assemble, and they liked the look. It kept their dogs dry and comfortable, and they said the sizing was great for them.
Critical reviewers were disappointed when their dogs wouldn’t use the house and said the roof leaked when it rained.
Summary: This large dog house is made to be easily assembled in less than 5 minutes. It is made of BPA-free and phthalate-free plastic, so it is non-toxic to your dog.
The anti-fade coloring is made to stand strong against fading, staining, or rusting in the elements, so it retains its look over time. It requires no tools to put together, can be easily cleaned, and is UV-ray resistant to prevent cracking and drying out in the sun.
Best for: Dogs up to 50 lbs
Features: Easy assembly; BPA-free; Non-fading color
Dimension: 33.8” x 33.1” x 32.3”
- Assembles in less than 5 minutes
- Large enough for dogs up to 50 lbs
- Non-fading color options
- BPA and phthalate free
- No raised floor or dog door
Review: Numerous positive reviews were left by buyers who said this house was easy to put together and perfect for their small to medium size dogs. Several reviews mention this makes a good chicken coupe and cat bunkhouse as well.
Negative reviews came from customers who received a damaged house in the mail and were unable to reach the seller when they reached out to inquire about a refund.
What Should I Look for in a Plastic Dog House?
When shopping for a plastic dog house, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Size. A dog should be able to stand and sit naturally inside a dog house. Getting the right size house is important to make your dog feel as cozy and safe as possible.
- Shape. Consider an offset doorway to keep the wind out or a cabin-style wood dog house for protection from the rain. A slanted roof will guide water away from the opening, and an igloo shelter will provide better protection from falling objects, like branches.
- Purpose. Outdoor dog kennels are typically more robust, while indoor dog crates are often more decorative.
- Material. Wooden dog houses look great and are more robust than most plastic dog houses but are more expensive and can require more maintenance. Other materials a dog house can be made of are particleboard, oxford fabric, and composite wood, like ECOFLEX. All of which have their benefits and downfalls.
How Can I Keep My Plastic Dog House Warm in the Winter?
There are a few easy DIY ways to heat a plastic dog kennel in the wintertime. We have listed some of them below:
- Space Heater. These are a great choice for large and extra-large dog houses. They do, however, require an external power source, and running an extension cord across the ground in the snow is not the best idea, so be mindful of how you power the heater.
- Solar Panels. Solar panels can be used to power a heating element inside the dog house to keep the inside of the kennel warm.
- Insulation. Lining a dog house with foam insulation will keep a dog’s body heat inside the house and keep the cold out.