What Are the Best Probiotics for Cats with Diarrhea?
Our Top Pick
Our top pick for probiotics for cats with diarrhea as it is safe, efficient, quality product, and easy to use.
|Get on AmazonGet on Honest Paws|
Best Easy Use
With 1 billion CFUs per gram, this probiotic does everything a probiotic is supposed to do for a cat.
|Get on AmazonGet on Chewy|
The only ingredient aside from a fiber source in this formula is a series of prebiotic and probiotic strains.
|Get on AmazonGet on Chewy|
This formula features different strains of probiotics as well as prebiotics for better bacteria growth.
|Get on AmazonGet on Chewy|
Enzymes in this probiotic help support digestion, while the probiotics help improve cat’s overall gut health.
|Get on Amazon|
This formula features probiotics, dietary fiber, and digestive enzymes to encourage healthy gut function.
|Get on AmazonGet on Chewy|
Are Probiotics Safe for Cats with Diarrhea?
Yes, probiotics for cats with diarrhea are safe.
In fact, probiotic supplements are often used for managing cat diarrhea. Pet probiotics are made with cat[friendly ingredients and are very easy to use.
Basically, probiotics for cats with diarrhea are safe, efficient, and practical.
Do Probiotics Help With Diarrhea in Cats?
Yes, probiotics for cats with diarrhea help.
Probiotics are beneficial microorganisms that assist the digestive system and promote a healthy gastrointestinal function. This good bacteria is also effective in treating other Gi tract issues such as constipation and can improve the overall gut health of your feline.
Do Probiotics Work for All Types of Diarrhea in Cats?
No, probiotics do not work on all types of diarrhea, at least not to the same capacity.
Diarrhea is a symptom of digestive problems rather than the cause, so treatment may depend on the cause of diarrhea. If the cause is an irritated digestive tract, then probiotics are a good choice because they are great at providing digestive support.
However, if the cause is something more serious like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or kidney disease, then probiotics may help, but a more direct treatment will likely be required.
If you are in doubt about the cause of your cat’s diarrhea, it is a good idea to see your DVM. It is especially important to see a vet if there is blood or mucous in your cat’s stool or if it is black and tarry.
What Are the Benefits of Probiotics for Cats?
The benefits of probiotics for cats are:
- Better Overall Health: A cat’s immune system relies on the health of the GI tract. Probiotics help improve the function of the GI tract and, in doing so, help to improve immune system function.
- Efficient Digestion. Probiotics help to promote a healthy gut by providing beneficial bacteria to your cat’s intestinal microbiome. This also means more solid and natural cat poop.
- Improved Mood. Probiotics can improve digestion and overall health, which will make your cat feel good and help to maintain a stable mood.
- No Bad Breath. Probiotics help to balance the cat’s gastrointestinal tract, which starts at the mouth. A healthy, balanced mouth and gut make for fresher breath.
The Best Probiotics for Cats Reviewed
There are many probiotics for cats with diarrhea. To help owners find the right one, we reviewed some of the best cat supplements, readily available on Amazon and Chewy.
Summary: This is among the top-rated probiotics for dogs on platforms such as Amazon. It is made using premium ingredients for unrivaled effectiveness. It also stimulates the growth of beneficial gut flora.
The product also contains digestive prebiotics that boosts overall well-being, immunity, and mood. Finally, the product has been custom-formulated to suit your cat’s needs and comes in an easy-use, powdered, and chicken-flavored form.
Ingredient Analysis: In addition to different strains of beneficial bacteria (Bacillus coagulans, Bifidobacterium animalis lactis, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, and Lactobacillus plantarum), the product contains inulin (starchy type of prebiotic that stays in the intestines and helps good bacteria grow), Solarplast (spinach leaf extract that is loaded with dietary fiber and antioxidants), and rice extract blend (which adds beneficial carbohydrates and fiber).
- Formulated with probiotics and prebiotics
- Helps regulate diarrhea and constipation
- Contains superior ingredients
- Boosts immunity overall well-being
- Easy-use, chicken-flavored powder
- Rice hull can cause allergies in some cats
Review: These probiotics for cats with diarrhea promote healthy aging and helps your dog lead an active lifestyle. It is rich in antioxidants that provide a much-needed health boost.
Summary: This probiotic offers the benefits of probiotics and digestive support. The powder form allows for easy use, and there are 30 packets of probiotics in each box so that you will have enough for a month’s worth of daily use.
It features FortiFlora strains of probiotics to improve a cat’s health through their digestive system and the state of their gut flora. With 1 billion CFUs per gram, this is a great way to improve a cat’s digestive health.
Ingredient Analysis: Liver flavor and dried brewer’s yeast are the first two ingredients, and these provide the taste in this probiotic powder. Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product is the strain of bacteria. It also has vitamin E, vitamin C, and taurine.
- Comes in an easy to use single serve packet
- Provides vitamins and some minerals
- Safe for cats of all sizes and ages
- Proprietary microencapsulation process for enhanced stability
- Contains antioxidants for immune system support
- The scent is too intense for some pet owners
Review: Many of the over 13,000 reviews on Amazon were positive. Pet parents said this probiotic formula helped clear up their pet’s diarrhea when vets couldn’t figure out what was wrong with their cat. Others say they call it “magic dust,” and it helped encourage their cats to start eating again.
Dissatisfied customers raised concerns about the use of animal digest in the ingredients. However, it is not listed in the ingredients list online, and they said they were disappointed to find it was made in China.
Summary: This probiotic is certified USDA organic, so pet owners can rest assured knowing it does not contain additives, fillers, or preservatives. It is made without corn, wheat, or soy and features 5 billion CFUs per scoop.
This tasteless probiotic powder can be added to any meal in a cat’s diet. It is safe for both cats and dogs and is made in the USA for optimum quality.
Ingredient Analysis: Organic acacia is the first ingredient and provides this probiotic with fiber which makes up 90% of the total nutrients in this supplement. A series of prebiotic and probiotic strains such as organic inulin, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Bifidobacterium bifidum are then added to complete the profile of the supplement.
- USDA-certified organic ingredients
- No additives, fillers, or preservatives
- Tasteless and easy to give to picky dogs
- Contains 5 billion CFUs per scoop
- Made with different strains of bacteria
- The multiple strains of probiotics in this supplement may be too much for some pets and disagree with their stomach
Review: Most pet owners who purchased this product were happy with the results. People whose animals suffered from diarrhea and constipation had seen improvement in their pet’s condition after using this probiotic. Their pets no longer had loose stool and could finally do their business as normal.
Critical reviews made up nearly 10% of total reviews, however. The most common complaint, by far, was that this supplement had made their pets sick.
Summary: This probiotic formula is made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility for the highest level of quality control and safety. There are 20 different species of bacteria in this that help with everything from digestive and urinary support to immune system support.
Every batch is made small to be better able to control the quality and ensure the safety of each collection. It comes in an easy-to-serve powder so that it can be easily given daily to your cat.
Ingredient Analysis: The ingredients in this probiotic powder include S. cerevisiae, L. fermentum, L. helveticus, B. breve, and B. lactis, all of which are effective in preventing digestive upset and support overall gut health.
- Contains 5 billion CFUs per dose
- 20 species of beneficial strains
- Comes in an easy-use powder form
- No fillers, allergens, or artificial additives
- Made in the USA with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- The smell is too strong for some pet owners
Review: Numerous buyers expressed happiness with this product. They said it had helped them avoid expensive vet bills, with most saying it helped their cat’s digestive system in as little as 24 hours.
The most common complaints regarded the product’s smell and said their cats became sick after consuming this probiotic.
Summary: This daily probiotic contains enzymes to treat vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, and gas. It helps cats of all life stages to develop stronger immune systems and digestive systems. The ingredients are sourced in the USA and do not contain things like corn, grain, or dyes.
It is never cooked, so the potency of the probiotic strains is preserved throughout the manufacturing process. The factory this is made in is inspected annually by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and is tested by a third-party lab for quality control.
Ingredient Analysis: Pumpkin is used in this formula, giving the probiotics a good base of fiber and vitamins that help regulate digestion. Enzyme blend is then added to help convert food into nutrients like amino acids, glucose, and fatty acids. Two billion CFUs of probiotics are finally included to promote healthy gut function.
- 2 billion CFUs
- Enzymes help digestion
- Includes pumpkin for digestive support
- Never cooked to preserve the potency
- Tasty chicken flavor
- Proudly made and tested in the USA
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Review: Many people who reviewed this probiotic gave it four and five stars. They said it was “better than Purina FortiFlora” and proclaimed they wouldn’t trust another probiotic for their cat.
Critical reviews made up over 10% of total reviews, however. These people complained the probiotic made their cats sick or they just wouldn’t eat it when added to their food.
Summary: Digestive enzymes added to this probiotic blend help with nutrient absorption and normalize digestive functions. This helps to restore gut health and improve a cat’s overall health.
The advanced formula is made to reduce allergies and yeast infections, relieve gut problems, and promote healthier skin and coats. It is made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility to ensure the highest level of quality control.
Ingredient Analysis: Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. brevis, and L. casei provide some of the probiotic strains in this formula, while cellulase, amylase, and lipase make up the digestive enzymes. The only other ingredient in this formula is maltodextrin, used as a prebiotic to encourage probiotic growth.
- Contains digestive enzymes
- Safe for cats of all ages
- Comes in a large 320-dose container
- Reduces allergies and yeast infections
- Made in the USA
- Seller on Amazon does not accept returns
Review: The most common title in the reviews is “it works!” It seems buyers are happy with this product, with some people reviewing it multiple times to “get the word out there” about it.
Negative reviews came from people who received the probiotics expired or were about to expire. Other customers who had a negative experience said it made their pet’s allergies worse, and they were upset they could not return it to the seller.
What should I Look for in Probiotics for Cat Diarrhea?
When looking for probiotics for cats with diarrhea, consider the following factors:
- Probiotic Strains. First, check the type of beneficial microorganisms included in the product. Some supplements contain a single strain and others multiple strains. Which is best for your cat depends on the cause of its diarrhea.
- Colony Forming Units. Colony forming units (CFU) are the number of live microorganism strains in each dose of a probiotic. These will often range from 100 million CFUs to 5 billion CFUs or more.
- Probiotic Form. There are numerous types of probiotics. They can come in powder, pills, chews, etc. With so many forms available, there is sure to be something out there for every cat.
- Reputable Brand. Evaluate reviews from other customers of a given brand and see what kind of experience they have had. The brand should be reputable and transparent. The best brands often contain the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) quality seal.
How Long Does it Take for Probiotics to Stop Diarrhea in Cats?
Generally speaking, a probiotic will take anywhere from one day to several weeks to be effective in treating diarrhea and other digestive issues.
If your cat’s diarrhea lasts more than 1-2 days, however, you should see a vet as there may be something much more serious going on.
How long a probiotic takes to treat diarrhea will depend on the cat’s age, activity level, and overall health. If a cat is younger or more active, it is likely to recover sooner than a cat who is older, very young, or overweight.