What are the Best Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infection?
- Best Overall Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infection: Honest Paws Pre+Probiotics
This is our top pick when it comes to probiotics for dogs who are known to suffer from infections in their ear canal.
- Best Natural Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infections: Open Farm’s Probiotic Supplement Chews
Uses vet-recommended formulas with only 100% traceable and functional ingredients.
- Best Multi-Strain Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infection: PetLab Co. Probiotics for Dogs
Made using premium ingredients, this probiotic is great if your dog suffers from constant head shaking, itching, or loose stools.
- Best Chewable Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infection: Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Supplement for Dogs
Formulated with Wild Alaskan Salmon Fish Oil, this probiotic is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that are great for itchy skin and seasonal allergies.
- Best Probiotic for Dogs with Ear Yeast Infections: PetVitalityPRO Probiotics for Dogs
If your dog suffers from yeast infections in its inner and outer ear or simply suffers from hearing loss, this probiotic can do the trick.
- Best Affordable Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infection: TummyWorks Probiotic Chews for Dogs
Made with digestive enzymes and prebiotics, this product is great for diarrhea, upset stomach, gas, constipation & bad breath.
- Best Grain-Free Probiotics for Dogs Ear Infection: Deley Naturals Advanced Supplement Probiotics for Dogs
This grain-free probiotic is made using all-natural ingredients and is free from artificial colors or flavorings.
Do Probiotics Help Yeast in Dog’s Ears?
Yes, probiotics for dog ear infection can help. Probiotics are beneficial in controlling yeasts in your dog’s ears. They are also known to improve your pet’s immune system, which helps fight off certain types of chronic ear infections.
There are three forms of ear infections – otitis externa (affects the outside ear), otitis media (affects the middle ear), and otitis interna (affects the inner ear). If left untreated, ear infections can result in severe eardrum damage and even hearing loss.
Ear infections in dogs are common and can be caused by various issues such as yeast overgrowth, ear mites, bacteria, and foreign objects. Dog ear infections are more likely in pups with floppy ears.
Will Probiotics Help Dog Ear Infections?
Yes, probiotics for dogs ear infection can help. When used under the vet’s guidance and careful monitoring, probiotics can have a lasting effect on your dog.
Additionally, by following the manufacturer’s guidelines, probiotics make an excellent addition to the ear infection treatment plan.
Interestingly, a 2020 study found that the “cerumen microbial community shifts between healthy and otitis affected dogs.” This finding accents the importance of good bacteria in managing canine ear infections.
There are several benefits of using probiotics –
- Ear Infections. Probiotics help counter the ear infection symptoms in the pet’s ear. Probiotics help keep a balance between the good and harmful bacteria in the dog’s body. This reduces the chance of deafness, much to the relief of dog owners.
- Builds Immunity. Probiotics are known to strengthen the immune response, which leads to improved dog health overall. As a result, your dog falls ill less often, and there is a lesser chance of bacterial and yeast infections.
- Manages Allergic Reactions. Dog probiotics have anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce allergic reactions in your dog. It also reduces itchiness caused by food allergies and environmental allergens. Ear issues are a common sign of allergies in dogs.
Can Probiotics Make Dog Ear Infections Worse?
No, probiotics for dogs ear infection should not make the issue worse.
Probiotics are considered a safe product considering they are natural ingredients. Like any other supplement, probiotics can cause side effects in overly sensitive dogs. Luckily, the side effects are rare and mild and usually include GI-related issues.
You can decrease the risk of side effects by practicing a slow probiotic introduction – start with a smaller probiotic dose and gradually increase the number of beneficial bacteria, allowing your dog’s gut to get used to the new supplement.
How do Probiotics for Dog Ear Infections Work?
Probiotics for dogs ear infection work on several levels.
They provide direct competition for disease-causing bacteria and are shown to play a role in the immune response of dogs enabling them to fight infections. Plus, they release anti-inflammatory substances like short-chain fatty acids, which reduce inflammation and can help speed up healing.
The Best Probiotics for Dog Ear Infections Reviewed
From natural probiotics to dog food with probiotics, there are many options. To keep things simple we have reviewed some of the best probiotics for dogs ear infection. These supplements are highly rated and readily available on Amazon and Chewy.
Summary: This probiotic helps improve your dog’s ear infections and digestive health overall. It is also known to strengthen their immune systems by maintaining proper gut flora through beneficial microorganisms. Be it a Cocker Spaniel or a Golden Retriever, you can be sure you are giving your pet something healthy.
Recommended Uses: Digestive troubles, boosting immunity, skin & ear health
- Inulin: Derived from chicory root, it transforms into short-chain fatty acids that nourish cells, help with digestion health, and have various other health benefits.
- Solarplast: Spinach leaf extract that supports cellular restoration and repair and supports healthy aging
Probiotics Strains: Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium animalis lactis, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Lactobacillus plantarum
- Helps build immunity
- Reduces bacterial infections
- Counters smelly breath
- Does not interfere with topical ear applications
- Reduces symptoms of ear infections
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: This is a beneficial product for your dog’s overall health. One stick per day is enough to do the trick. However, you can also consult your vet for the required dosage.
Summary: Shield your dogs from the discomfort of ear infections by giving them Open Farm’s Probiotic Supplement Chews. Each of these probiotic chews was made to help support your dog’s normal gut flora, bowel movement, natural defense against infection, and overall immune system using vet-recommended formulas with only 100% traceable and functional ingredients. Get 20% off your first auto-ship order with code VET20.
Recommended Uses: Stomach/intestinal health, oral health, immune support, and allergy relief for dogs
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin is a good source of fiber and helps support digestive health.
- Ginger: Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory properties and is high in antioxidants, hence aiding your dog’s natural defenses against ear infection.
Probiotics Strains: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, L. Casei, L. fermentum, L. Reuteri, L. Plantarum, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Bacillus coagulans. These probiotics help support healthy digestion and gut health.
- 20% off your first auto-ship order with code VET20
- Provides optimal dental support for dogs
- Supports normal gut flora & bowel movement
- Boosts healthy immune function
- Has 90 delicious soft chews
- 100% traceable ingredients
- No significant cons
Review: Due to its numerous advantages to a dog’s digestive and oral health, this recipe has received an above-satisfactory review from many dog owners on Amazon, earning 4.8 out of 5 stars. To quote one satisfied customer, “I love the soft texture; makes it easy to divide for small dogs. No unpleasant odor. It has taken about a week for the dogs to like the chews.”
Summary: Made using a special formula, this product helps promote healthy yeast production. Additionally, it also generates a healthy immune response thanks to its world-class ingredients. It is made using a base of Inulin (prebiotic for dogs), honey, and pumpkin. It also contains 8 strains of beneficial bacteria that are known to improve gut health, optimize skin health, and support coat comfort. Available in a delicious pork flavor, these soft chews are going to be a sure hit with your dog.
Recommended Uses: Immune response, digestive support, skin & ear issues
- Agave (Inulin): Contains a high volume of inulin fiber that aids in digestion
- Pumpkin: Adds dietary fiber and supports the growth of healthy bacteria and yeasts
- Honey: Works as an immunity booster and offers a high concentration of antioxidants
- Salmon Oil: Contains fatty acids that help with immunity
Probiotics Strains: Bacillus coagulans, Lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Streptococcus thermophilus
- Helps build gut health
- Supports normal immune response in your dog
- Contains effective ingredients
- Helps improve your dog’s GI tract
- Contains a unique blend of antioxidants
- May cause allergies in some dogs
Review: This premium American product is great for digestive health as it helps promote a beneficial immune response. It also leads to healthy yeast production, which adds further benefits.
Summary: This probiotic contains vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants that improve your dog’s overall health. It contains five strains of probiotics with 250 million CFU of healthy bacteria, which improves your pet’s digestion. It also contains Salmon Oil which is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids EPA & DHA. This is known to support your pet’s delicate skin that relieves itching and hotspots.
Recommended Uses: Seasonal and environmental allergies, digestion support, immunity booster
- Colostrum: Helps boost immunity
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Relives seasonal allergies and supports healthy skin and coat
- Salmon Oil: Helps reduce inflammation and supports healthy skin
Probiotics Strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus brevis, and Lactococcus lactis
- Contains colostrum which improves health
- Improves immune function, and digestion
- Easy to chew product
- Supports healthy microbiome
- Helps manage seasonal allergies
- May cause an allergic reaction is some dogs
Review: These probiotics help to improve immune, skin, and gut health. They also help to keep your dog’s ears clean overall by reducing inflammation.
Summary: This premium probiotic helps with diarrhea, loose stool, upset stomach, and yeast infection. Additionally, it also provides relief from allergy, skin and coat conditions, hot spots, and urinary tract infections. The product has been formulated such that it is easily chewable and in the form of a tasty treat. It improves and restores your dog’s health, especially after antibiotic and steroid treatment.
Recommended Uses: Immunity booster, digestion support, skin & ear issues
- Papaya: Contains fiber and antioxidants, which improve gut health
- Yeast Extract: This is a great source of nucleotides that add to your dog’s immunity
- Fructooligosaccharides (FOS): Dietary fiber that support the growth of healthy bacteria
- Flaxseed Meal: Contains fiber that aids in digestion and improves gut health
- Honey: This is a powerful immunity booster that helps keep common diseases at bay
- Natural Duck Flavoring: Adds a delicious flavor that your dog will not be able to resist
Probiotics Strains: Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Lactobacillus fermentum
- Increase gastrointestinal health
- Boosts immune system
- Enrich your dog's diet with antioxidants
- Boost energy and stamina
- Reduces risk of future health issues
- More expensive than other similar products
Review: This product helps counter coat conditions, hot spots, and urinary tract infections in your dog. It also contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients for added benefits.
Summary: These chews are able to provide relief against allergy relief, hot spot treatment, diarrhea, and yeast infections. They also help extract energy and nutrients from your pet’s food which improves their health. It also helps boost immunity and protects your pet against germs and diseases. Finally, the product does not contain any additives or preservatives which could otherwise cause harm to your pet’s health.
Recommended Uses: Improves skin health, gut health, immune booster, and allergy relief
- Oat Flour: Contains fiber that helps with digestion and improves gut health
- Rice Flour: Great source of carbohydrates and offers nutrients that help with your dog’s overall health
- Natural Chicken Flavoring: Used to add a delicious flavoring to your dog’s diet
Probiotics Strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus fermentum, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium longum, and Enterococcus faecium
- Improves skin health
- Relieves scratching and itchiness of the skin
- Improves heart and brain health
- Improves mobility
- Leads to a healthier coat
- The flavor might not suit some dogs
Review: These chews are great supplements for your dog if they suffer from allergy relief, hot spots, and diarrhea. It also helps with yeast infections and bad breath in your dog.
Summary: In addition to improving your dog’s gut health, this probiotic also helps with irritable bowels, gas, bloating, and constipation. It also helps improve your dog’s bad breath, which is caused by unhealthy gut flora. With 4 billion CFUs and 6 essential enzymes, the product helps boost your dog’s immunity overall. This probiotic also helps with the absorption of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
Recommended Uses: Relieve irritable bowels, fixes bad breath, helps with skin & ear issues
- Palm Oil: Helps keep the integrity of the soft chew
- Pea Flour: Great grin-free source of fiber that helps with digestion
- Flaxseed Meal: Contains fiber which helps in digestion and maintaining digestive health
- Natural Chicken Flavoring: Adds a delicious flavor that your dog will not be able to resist
- Inulin: Well-known prebiotic that is converted into short-chain fatty acids for added benefits
- Digestive Enzymes: Protease, amylase, lipase, cellulase, lactase, and bromelain
Probiotics Strains: Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Lactobacillus fermentum
- Improves gut health
- Relieves irritable bowels
- Helps with skin and coat problems
- Restores digestive health
- Promotes absorption of nutrients
- More expensive than other similar products
Review: Deley Naturals Advanced Probiotic for Dogs helps improve your dog’s health overall. It works great if your dog is suffering from constipation, loose stools, and anal gland issues.
How Long does it Take for Probiotics to Work in Dogs with Ear Infections?
Probiotics start colonizing the dog’s gut as soon as they reach the intestines.
However, do not expect miracles – it usually takes between a couple of days and several weeks to see visible improvement in your dog’s ear infection.
How do I Use Probiotics for My Dog’s Ear Infections?
When it comes to ear infections, you should see the vet as soon as possible. The vet will use an otoscope to check the dog’s ears and a microscope to examine the ear wax. Based on the findings, the veterinarian will recommend the right treatment strategy.
Additionally, probiotics for dogs ear infection can also be used with other treatment plans without any interference. However, it is still best to consult your vet before you decide on the course of treatment.
The most common treatment plans (in addition to probiotics) include:
Antibiotic treatment. The treatment of choice is antibiotics. They are great for ear infections and infections in general, but they do not come without side effects. For example, antibiotics cannot distinguish between good and bad bacteria.
Home Remedies. You can do so much for your dog to make the treatment process smoother and more comfortable. Here are some general tips:
- Healthy Diet. A good quality diet is essential in boosting the immune system and supporting gut health, vital for fighting infections.
- Immune-Boosting Supplements. Adding omega-3 fatty acids to your dog’s menu is a great way to strengthen its immune response and support skin health.
- Ear Cleaning. Dirt is one of the leading causes of infection. Clean your dog’s ears regularly to prevent dirt and wax buildup. To do this, use an ear cleaner made specifically for dogs.
- Formulated to deliver digestive support, promote healthy yeast production, and encourage a normal immune response.
- Contains healthy ingredients and 8 strains of beneficial bacteria that work as a digestive aid, optimize skin health, and support coat comfort.
- Easy to use on either young puppies or senior dogs.
How do I Choose the Best Probiotic for Dog Ear Infections?
Finding the best probiotics for dogs ear infection can be tricky, especially if you do not know what to look for. To make sure you get the best probiotic for your dog, follow this short checklist:
- Various Bacteria Strains. Ideally, the probiotic supplement should contain three to four strains of good bacteria like Bifidobacterium animalis, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus coagulans, and Lactobacillus acidophilus. This is because different bacteria ensure different health benefits.
- Colony Forming Units (CFU). This is a measurement of the number of good bacteria found in the probiotic. In general, for maintenance purposes, the average dog needs between 1 and 4 billion CFUs per day.
- Prebiotics and Other Ingredients. To thrive and exert their benefits, probiotics need prebiotics (dietary fiber). Therefore, most brands add prebiotics to their formulas. They also include synergistic compounds like digestive enzymes, vitamins, and minerals.
- No Harmful Ingredients. Choose probiotics for dogs ear infection that is free of common allergens (dairy, soy, single proteins), cheap fillers (grains, corn, wheat), and GMO nutrients. These ingredients support inflammation and can worsen your dog’s ear problems.
- Form and Flavor. Probiotics supplements for pets are available in various forms – powders, capsules, treats, and liquids. They also come in dog-friendly flavors like chicken or beef. Purchase the probiotic form and flavor that are convenient for you and tasty for your pet.
- Reputable Brand. Always review the probiotic brand. A reliable brand will be transparent and display reviews from other customers using the probiotic product. It can also offer practical services like money-back guarantees and free shipping.
Once you have the best probiotics for dogs ear infection at home, you can use it in combination with natural probiotics like Greek yogurt or old-fashioned kefir.