What are the Best Probiotics for Senior Dogs?
- Best Overall Probiotics for Senior Dogs: PetLab Co. Probiotics for Dogs
This probiotic is suitable for senior dogs thanks to its safe formulation that improves your pet’s overall health and well-being.
- Best Probiotics for Active Senior Dogs: PetHonesty 10-in-1 Dog Multivitamin & Probiotics with Glucosamine
A blend of good bacteria and health-boosting nutrients that have ten different health benefits for senior dogs.
- Best Grain-Free Probiotics for Senior Dogs: Strawfield Pets Multivitamin+Probiotic Soft Chews for Senior Dogs
A grain-free and peanut butter-flavored chewable probiotic supplement that is easy to use and made in the USA.
- Best Probiotics for Senior Dogs with Sensitive Stomachs: Zesty Paws Senior Advanced Probiotic Bites
An advanced blend of premium probiotics and prebiotics in the form of easy-use and chicken-flavored soft chews.
- Best Probiotics for Senior Dogs with Allergies: PetHonesty Senior Dog Allergy Relief Chews & Probiotics
A health-boosting mixture of probiotics, colostrum, mushrooms, and natural ingredients that provide allergy relief.
- Best Budget-Friendly Probiotics for Senior Dogs: Strellalab Dog Probiotics Treats for Immunity and Digestion
An affordable 3-in-1 blend of probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes for strengthening digestive and immune health.
PetHonesty's one-a-day 10 for 1 Senior Multivitamin is filled with important supplements, vitamins, and minerals your dog needs to support their current diet and overall health.
These delicious soft chews are easy for senior dogs to chew and digest and can proactively help your dog with common health issues that develop with age. As dog's age, they need an extra boost of help in supporting their joints, digestion, organ health, energy levels, immune system, and more.
Are Probiotics Good for Senior Dogs?
Yes, probiotics for senior dogs are good. A senior dog’s health needs much more attention and care than dogs in other life stages.
A healthy gut and a strong immune system are imperative for older dogs. Probiotics can help with both. Here are some of the benefits of adding probiotics to your senior dog’s diet:
- Better Digestion. The main function of a probiotic is to support food digestion. As dogs grow older, their digestion abilities decline, which compromises their gastric and intestinal health.
- More Good Bacteria. Probiotics are essentially live cultures that support gut health. Probiotics increase the number of these beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
- Strong Immune System. Incorporating probiotics in your senior dog’s daily diet will improve their immune strength and prevent them from getting sick often.
- Improved Breath. Bad breath is a common issue among older dogs. Probiotics help manage the oral microbiome, thus supporting a fresh breath.
- Other Benefits. Finally, probiotic supplements for senior dogs can also help with other issues such as food allergies and weight gain.
How Do You Know if Your Senior Dog Needs Probiotics?
Senior dogs in need of probiotics will show signs and symptoms a healthy dog is not experiencing. For example, dogs would benefit from a probiotic supplement in the following scenarios:
Whether your dog has one or multiple symptoms, we recommend visiting a vet before switching to a probiotic-supplemented diet for your dog.
The Best Probiotics for Senior Dogs Reviewed
To help pet parents find the best probiotics for dogs in their senior years, we have selected and reviewed several best-selling probiotic supplements. Check out our top picks readily available on Amazon and Chewy.
Summary: These probiotic chews consist of a unique combination of antioxidants and live microorganisms, thereby increasing the number of good bacteria in your dog’s stomach. Made using a mouth-watering pork flavor, these chews are easy to use and easily absorbed. They are perfect for both senior dogs and small puppies. You can also expect to see a better coat on your dog and less itchiness on the skin.
Recommended Uses: Vitality, stomach troubles, immune response, and mood regulation
- Agave (Inulin): Powerful ingredient that is rich in fiber. As a result, it can improve several aspects of the digestive system.
- Pumpkin: Adds dietary fiber and supports the growth of healthy bacteria and yeasts.
- Honey: Honey is considered a great immunity booster. It is also known to regulate mood as it contains several antioxidants.
- Salmon Oil: Contains fatty acids, which not only improve immunity and digestive health but also strengthen cognitive abilities.
Probiotics Strains: Bacillus coagulans, Lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Streptococcus thermophilus
- Increases your dog’s natural defenses
- Contains high-quality ingredients
- Helps strengthen your dog’s immunity
- Boosts overall health and well-being
- Prevents itchy skin and stomach issues
- Only has a single-strain probiotic formula
Review: Made using world-class ingredients, these probiotics for dogs with diarrhea are manufactured in the USA in FDA-registered facilities. This makes them safe to use on all dogs.
Summary: A duck-flavored probiotic supplement with multiple health benefits for senior dogs. This probiotic and multivitamin supplement has ten distinct health benefits, including bone and joint health, cognitive health, heart health, and more. This supplement is blended with superfoods like carrots and sweet potato and boosted with glucosamine, omega-3 fatty acids, and selenium yeast to enhance your senior dog’s overall health.
- Joint health and mobility
- Brain, heart, and organ health
Ingredient Analysis: Oat flour, fish oil, ground flaxseed, glucosamine, chondroitin, psyllium seed husk, carrot, mushroom blend, papaya, Aspergillus oryzae, Aspergillus niger, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis,
- Contains multiple probiotic strains
- Enriched with several superfoods
- Contains fish oil and mineral supplements
- Joint-friendly ingredients for mobility
- Duck-flavored and made in the USA
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Review: Based on 22,022 global ratings, these probiotics for senior dogs have an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customers state that it has given their dogs a new, healthier life with consistent use.
Summary: A chewable natural probiotic supplement in natural peanut butter flavor. This blend contains 500 CFU of live probiotics from 5 strains that improve dogs’ gut health. This supplement is boosted with multivitamins, prebiotics, Vitamin E, and superfoods like pumpkin to nourish your dog’s immune function.
- Digestion aid
- Joint and bone health
- Skin and coat health
Ingredient Analysis: Glucosamine, pumpkin, organic hemp powder, chondroitin, chicory root, milk thistle, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactococcus lactis, cassava flour, peanut flour, brewer’s yeast
- Grain-free and enriched with vitamins & minerals
- Soft pet probiotic chews fit for senior dogs
- Boost the immune system and heart health
- Promote healthy skin and shiny coats
- Support joint, liver & kidney function
- Complaints about faulty packaging
Review: Based on 981 global ratings, these probiotics for senior dogs have an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Pet parents state that it is a tasty supplement that energizes their dogs from the first use.
Summary: Made with high-quality prebiotics, PerforPro is clinically proven to improve gut health and promote probiotic growth in senior dogs. This blend contains naturally sourced pumpkin and bromelain that takes care of your dog’s stool consistency and provides much-needed relief from constipation or diarrhea. This supplement is chicken flavored and can be used as a treat.
- Stomach upset and diarrhea
- Gas relief
- Allergies and hotspots
Ingredient Analysis: Psyllium husk, gut health blend (amylase, protease, lipase, cellulase, lactase, bromelain), probiotic blend (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus fermentum), Bacillus subtilis DE111, chicken, garbanzo flour, pea flour, pumpkin, fructooligosaccharides
- Contains multiple probiotic strains
- Healthy blend of prebiotics and enzymes
- Promotes normal bowel function
- Premium immune system support
- No artificial additives & preservatives
- More expensive than similar products
Review: Based on 1,778 global ratings, these probiotics for senior dogs have an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Customers claim it works best for senior dogs’ stool issues, including bloody stools.
Summary: This probiotic supplement is specially formulated to eliminate allergic issues in older dogs. Blended with organic mushrooms, colostrum, and probiotics, these duck-flavored soft chewable treats improve the immune health of dogs and make them less prone to seasonal allergies.
- Itching problems
- Seasonal Allergies
Ingredient Analysis: Organic mushroom blend (13 types), Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus fermentum, Enterococcus faecium, colostrum, omega-3s (from small fish oil and flaxseed), blueberry powder, duck digest, oat flour
- Made with organic and natural ingredients
- 5 billion CFU per duck-flavored chew
- Features a blend of healthy mushrooms
- Rich in healthy omega-fatty acids
- USA-made with globally sourced ingredients
- Some dogs dislike the duck flavor
Review: Based on 1,080 global ratings, this dog supplement has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim that these probiotics for senior dogs have quickly removed allergy issues in their senior doggies.
Summary: Soft chewable treats in a chicken flavor-packed with probiotics improve the gut health of senior dogs. This probiotic blend is boosted with active fiber sources that help digestion and consistent stool. The formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs as well. Plus, it comes at an affordable price.
- Picky eaters with digestive issues
- Upset stomach relief
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Bloating and gas relief
Ingredient Analysis: 5 probiotics blend, prebiotic blend, enzyme blend, and papaya
- With digestive enzymes and fiber
- Dog-friendly chicken-flavored treats
- No added sugar and preservatives
- Come in a large package (120 chews)
- Available at an affordable price
- “Blend“ does not specify the exact strains
Review: Based on 3,523 global ratings, this daily probiotic has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim these probiotics for senior dogs have worked great for digestive and flatulence issues in their dogs.
How Long Should I Give My Senior Dog Probiotics?
The duration of giving probiotic supplements varies depending on the senior dog‘s overall wellness and the underlying cause for using the product.
It could be daily for a month or two, depending on how fast your dog achieves the maximal health benefits of probiotics. We highly recommend consulting a veterinarian to understand the duration and daily dosage of the supplement for your dog’s digestive system.
What Kind of Probiotic Should I Give My Senior Dog?
The best probiotics for senior dogs are soil-based probiotics (SBOs). SBOs are strains of spore-forming bacteria that survive the journey through the dog‘s gut and reach the colon.
As dogs get older, the gut flora diminishes, and the diversity of the gut bacteria changes. These SBOs prevent good vs. bad bacteria imbalances and support digestive health.
The best soil-based probiotics for senior dog are:
- Bacillus coagulans
- Bacillus subtilis
- Bacillus indicus
To boost the probiotics’ effect, combine them with high-quality prebiotics such as FOS (fructooligosaccharides) or inulin.
- Formulated to deliver digestive support, promote healthy yeast production, and encourage a normal immune response.
- Contains healthy ingredients and 8 strains of beneficial bacteria that work as a digestive aid, optimize skin health, and support coat comfort.
- Is easy to use on either young puppies or senior dogs.
- Made using high-quality ingredients from the US and prime locations worldwide
- Aids in your dog’s occasional itchy skin, yeast production, or loose stools.
What Should I Look for in Probiotics for Senior Dogs?
To ensure that your choice of probiotics for senior dogs is safe and effective for your senior dog, dog owners should keep the following things in mind:
- Probiotic Strains. There are two considerations in this category. First, make sure that the bacterial strains are spore-forming. Second, ensure that several different bacterial strains can contribute to the diversity of the gut microbiome. Usually, five different strains are a choice.
- Colony Forming Units (CFU). This refers to the number of microorganisms in the product. The more CFU in the supplement, the higher its potency. Which potency is best depends on the underlying reason for using probiotics for senior dogs.
- Added Nutrients. The senior dog’s digestive system slows down and becomes less efficient with age. Therefore, it is a good idea to get a probiotic supplement enriched with digestion boosters such as digestive enzymes, prebiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- No Harmful Ingredients. Probiotics for senior dogs should be free from potentially harmful ingredients such as fillers, allergens, and artificial sweeteners.
- Supplement Form. Probiotics for seniors come in different forms – from probiotic powders to chewable treats. If purchasing probiotic chews, ensure they are soft (senior dogs have trouble chewing on crunchy dog food).