What Toy is Best for a Puppy?
- Best Overall Puppy Toys: Goughnuts Heavy Duty Black Maxx Pro Ring
Designed to keep your puppies out of harm’s way by preventing them from biting off and ingesting bits.
- Best Teething Puppy Toys: Zeaxui Luxury Puppy Toys for Teething Small Dogs
Due to there being 9 uniquely designed different toys in this package, it is the best overall choice.
- Best Puppy Toys For Anxiety Relief: PETCARE Anxiety Relief, Cleaning Teeth, and Interactive Puppy Toys
The soft rubber that these dog toys for puppies are designed with makes them the best for anxiety relief.
- Best Dog Bone Replica Puppy Toys: Nylabone Puppy Chew Variety Toy & Treat Triple Pack
Dogs that are familiar with how dog treats look will find this toy to be appealing and very challenging to play with.
- Best Puzzle Puppy Toys: Dr. Catch Puzzle Feeder Toys for IQ Training & Mental Enrichment
This is the best dog puzzle toy that will satisfy the curiosity of most dogs and provide ample mental stimulation.
- Best Puppy Toys for Dental Health: Aipper Puppy Chew Toys for Fun and Teeth Cleaning
There are various toys in this package that are perfect for a new puppy from a medium to a large dog breed.
- Best Treat Dispensing Puppy Toys: KONG Puppy Binkie Soft Teething Rubber, Treat Dispensing Puppy Toy
This dog chew toy can dispense treats like peanut butter, making it the best treat-dispensing dog toy.
What Kind of Toys Should a Puppy Have?
There are a variety of different puppy toys that a puppy or new dog should have, and a couple of things that need to be considered when purchasing new puppy toys:
Tug Toys: Tug toys are great for playing tug-of-war with your dog. The game is an excellent bonding experience and fun to play.
Puzzle Toys: Puzzle toys are mentally stimulating and interactive dog toys that keep your dog alert and mentally challenged.
Chew Toys: Chew or teething toys help satisfy puppy teething and help prevent aggressive chewers from biting everything in sight. Rubber toys make excellent chew toys for puppies.
Ball Dog Toys: Finally, you can use ball toys. Both pet-specific balls and tennis balls are suitable for puppies and playing fetch.
Is it Okay to Give Puppies Chew Toys?
Yes, it is okay to give your puppy chew toys.
Giving puppies chew toys is a good idea, especially when you realize that chewing will help keep your dog’s teeth clean and healthy. However, you need to inspect the puppy toys from time to time to ensure there are no broken pieces that can hurt your puppy. Also, small pieces pose a choking hazard.
The Best Puppy Toys Reviewed
Finding the right puppy toy for your doggy can be tricky – after all, there are many puppy toys designs and models. To help you find the right toy, we have selected and reviewed several puppy toys available on Amazon and Chewy.
Toy Type: Rubber chew toys
Pet: Medium-Breed Dogs
Lifestage: All life stages
Recommended Uses: Give this to your pup when they exhibit signs of boredom or tension. If your dog begins chewing on this toy, close supervision is advised.
Summary: Made to suit the interactive needs of medium-breed pups, Goughnuts Virtually Indestructible Chew Toy is designed to keep your puppies out of harm’s way by preventing them from biting off and ingesting bits that might cause intestinal obstructions. That way, you can enjoy different indoor and outdoor plays with your pup! Enjoy a fun game with your dog knowing that this chew toy is heavy-duty, and is multiple times harder than regular rubber dog toys in the market.
- Engineered for maximum safety and durability
- Specially designed for aggressive chewers
- Perfect for medium-breed dogs
- Provides a wholesome level of play and interaction for your puppies
- A little bit pricey compared to other dog chew toys
- Pet Suitability (10/10): This toy is fit for aggressive chewers and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor games.
- Material Quality (10/10): This is a heavy-duty chew toy for puppies, and is made with top-quality materials.
- Cost Effectiveness (8/10): Goughnuts Virtually Indestructible Chew Toy has a higher price tag than other dog toy brands, but its top-tier quality matches its cost.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): Garnering over 5,000 ratings on Amazon, many pet owners were amazed by the quality of this puppy chew toy. They reported that this is the only toy their aggressive-chewing pooches were not able to destroy.
- Care and Cleanability (10/10): It can be washed if necessary and requires no care or maintenance.
- Product Variety (10/10): This product consists of 5 different varieties dog owners can freely choose from.
Toy Type: Plush dog toys, Chew toys, & Rope toys
Lifestage: Ideal for dogs of all life stages.
Recommended Uses: This product is recommended for smaller breeds of dogs who are in the teething stage.
Material: Plush, Plastic, Rope
Summary: You get a total of 9 different toys included with this package. Four of them are squeaky plush dog toys, three are rope toys, and one is a treat ball. These toys are perfect for puppies that are energetic and going through teething stages. Their durable design makes them resistant to breaking apart from chewing.
The combination of these toys is great for dogs that enjoy chewing, tugging, and shaking objects around. These toys are designed to prevent dogs from chewing furniture around the home, helping to ease boredom and promote cleaner teeth.
- Suitable for multipet households
- Durable and bite-resistant
- The squeaker will entertain your dog
- Good for tug-of-war
- Encourages intelligent training
- Some dog breeds can rip through the toys
- Not ideal for heavy-chewing, bigger dogs
Customer Reviews: This product is rated 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon. Pet owners highlight that their dogs loved these toys and that they helped their dogs learn to chew the toys instead of hands and other objects.
- Pet Suitability (10/10): We rate this so highly because the wide variety of different toys included in this package appeals to so many types of dogs.
- Material Quality (x/10): The different puppy toys in the variety pack are made of different dog-friendly materials, such as plastic, rope, and plush.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): With a total of nine uniquely designed puppy toys in this package, you’re getting a good deal for what you’re paying.
- Customer Feedback (10/10): Customers highly rate this product because it works well to keep their dogs occupied. Customers like how it’s great for teething puppies and heavy chewers.
- Product Variety (10/10): Nine different types of dog toys are included in this package. You get four squeak toys, three rope toys, one treat ball, and one poop bag roll.
Toy Type: Chew toy
Lifestage: Smaller breeds of dogs aged between 0 and 8 months.
Recommended Uses: This product is perfect for young and small breeds of dogs that are going through the teething cycle.
Material: TPR natural rubber
Summary: For young dogs that are teeth, this 6-piece set of chew toys will help to get rid of anxiety and boredom while relieving itching in their mouth. The rubber used in these products is non-toxic, soft, and contains a good measure of elasticity, making it perfect for a dog’s mouth.
As dogs chew these toys, their teeth will be cleaned at the same time. As a pet parent, these toys will encourage you to interact with your dog, and that can boost your overall relationship with them.
- Reduces anxiety
- Releases energy
- Cleans the teeth
- Encourages playtime with your dog
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor occasions
- Not for overly aggressive chewers
- Might pose a choking hazard
Customer Reviews: This product is rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customers highlight how good it is in helping their dogs through the teething process while also reducing anxiety.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving PETCARE Anxiety Relief, Cleaning Teeth, and Interactive Puppy Toys an overall 9/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (9/10): This product is perfect for smaller dogs going through the teething phase. It only loses a point because it may not be suitable for bigger, heavier-chewing dogs.
- Material Quality (10/10): The TPR natural rubber in this product is durable, strong, and will stand the test of time.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): At $10.88, you get six puppy toys that your dog can play with, making it a great deal.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): While most customers find their younger dogs to love this product, there are a select few customers that report their dogs destroying it.
- Product Variety (10/10): Dogs will love the amount of variety included in this package. One toy can be used for relieving boredom, while the other can clean teeth.
Toy Type: Chew toy
Lifestage: Small, young dogs who are teething.
Recommended Uses: This product is recommended for younger dogs who are teething.
Summary: These chew toys help promote better chewing habits in dogs. They are geared toward smaller puppies that are going through the teething process. Some of the flavors they come in are chicken, bacon, lamb & apple, and chicken & bacon.
This product is great at relieving the discomfort brought on by teething. It teaches positive chewing habits, and the material is very soft. These puppy toys contain tasty flavors that most dogs will enjoy, but ensure your dog doesn’t try to eat them.
- Helps relieve anxiety
- Great for teething dogs
- Teaches good chewing habits
- Keeps dogs entertained
- Shaped like bones
- Some dogs will break these apart
- Potential chewing hazard
Customer Reviews: This product is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customers mention that it’s sturdy, affordable, and good for teething puppies.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving Nylabone Puppy Chew Variety Toy & Treat Triple Pack an overall 10/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (10/10): This flavorful chew toy package of three is suitable for smaller breeds of dogs ranging up to 25 pounds that are going through the teething cycle.
- Material Quality (10/10): We rate this 10/10 because it’s strong, durable, and should remain intact while puppies chew on it while teething.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): We like that these puppy toys are flavored and that they can encourage healthy chewing habits at a reasonable price.
- Customer Feedback (9/10): Customers like how these toys keep their dogs occupied while going through the teething process. There are a few customers that mentioned their dogs were able to break these apart.
- Product Variety (10/10): There is a ton of product variety with this package. You can choose from chicken, bacon, and lamb & apple, flavors. The toys also come in packs of 1, 3, or 6.
Toy Type: Interactive
Pet: Dogs, cats
Lifestage: Small breeds of all ages.
Recommended Uses: This product is recommended for mental stimulation playtime with your dog.
Summary: This interactive puzzle feeder toy is ideal for both dogs and cats. It encourages your pets to find treats and food by opening the slots that contain them.It’s a slow feeder that helps to encourage your dog or cat to slow down the pace at which it eats. This can help with food digestion.
This puzzle toy is a good way to keep your dog or cat mentally stimulated while teaching it to exercise its sense of smell. Using a puzzle puppy toy like this is suitable for lowering the chances of destructive behavior and boosting intelligence at the same time.
- Mentally stimulating
- Encourages slower eating
- Reduces anxiety
- Strengthens IQ
- Some find that cats might use it more than dogs
- The sliders move a little too easily
Customer Reviews: This product is rated 4.4 out of 5 on Amazon. Customers highlight that it helps their dogs stay stimulated for a good amount of time and that it’s well worth the money.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving Dr. Catch Puzzle Feeder Toys for IQ Training & Mental Enrichment an overall 9/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (9/10): Smaller dogs will find this puzzle toy to be the most suitable. Dogs with larger paws may not be able to interact with it in the same way.
- Material Quality (7/10): The puppy toy is made of plastic, but there are no more details regarding the type of plastic.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): Considering how much time and fun your dog will get out of this toy, it’s very cost-effective.
- Customer Feedback (10/10): The majority of customers mention their dogs loving this puzzle. A few mentioned it may take a bit of time for their dogs to get used to it.
- Product Variety (10/10): There are similar puzzle toys with different difficulty levels.
Toy Type: Chew toy
Lifestage: Small to medium breeds of all ages.
Recommended Uses: This product is recommended for dogs that could use teeth cleaning.
Material: Natural cotton, Rubber
Summary: There are a total of 18 different dog toys included in this package You get 5 different squeaky, chewy plush toys, 7 rope dog toys, a tug-of-war toy, a treat dispenser ball, a toothbrush toy, a flying disc toy, a few additional poop bag rolls.
The best thing about these toys is that they keep your dog’s teeth healthy and clean. They effectively reach all areas of the mouth, including the difficult-to-reach incisors that tend to accumulate plaque. These products are tested for safety and come with a lifetime guarantee that your dog will appreciate them
- Great at cleaning dog teeth
- Lifetime guaranteed
- Safety tested
- Encourages you to spend more time with your dog
- Some heavy-chewing dogs will destroy the toys
- The ball might leave sharp pieces if chewed apart
Customer Reviews: This product is rated 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon across 8,480 ratings. It’s highly rated for its ability to keep dog teeth clean, prevent decay, and keep dogs mentally stimulated.
- Pet Suitability (10/10): We rate this product so highly because it’s suitable for small to medium breeds and contains so many toys that will appeal to them.
- Material Quality (10/10): Natural cotton and rubber are used to make these toys. They are safe on the mouth and massage the gums while dogs play with them.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): Not many puppy toy packages contain 18 different toys, and that makes the cost-effectiveness of this package so good.
- Customer Feedback (10/10): Almost all of the customers that rated this product had something positive to say about it. There were one or two that mentioned their young puppies were able to damage it.
- Product Variety (10/10): Product variety is 10/10 because you’re getting such a large variety of toys in a single package.
Toy Type: Dispensing chew toy
Lifestage: Smaller breeds and younger dogs.
Recommended Uses: This is recommended for small, young dogs up to 35 pounds that are going through the chewing phase.
Summary: The soft rubber that this Kong dog toy is manufactured from makes it ideal for dogs to relieve some discomfort due to teething. It helps to promote good chewing habits by relieving any pressure in the mouth that is caused by teething.
You can add treats and snacks to this toy, which helps to encourage your dog to chew on it even more. This toy is also fun to use while you cuddle with your dog.
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Relieves tension in the teeth
- Dispenses treats
- Encourages jaw development
- Durable material
- Some dogs might be able to wreck it quickly
- Certain dogs may not enjoy it
Customer Reviews: This product is rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customers rate it highly for its durability, effectiveness in keeping dogs occupied, and ease of cleaning.
Veterinarians.org Review: Our team at veterinarians.org is giving KONG Puppy Binkie Soft Teething Rubber, Treat Dispensing Puppy Toy an overall 10/10 star rating. A breakdown of our rating is listed below:
- Pet Suitability (10/10): This product is suitable for younger puppies who are teething. Its size and dimensions make it appropriate for smaller breeds.
- Material Quality (10/10): The durable and sturdy rubber used to manufacture this product will keep dogs enticed for a long time.
- Cost Effectiveness (10/10): This is affordably priced at only $8.99, and because it is well-built and durable, you likely won’t have to purchase another one in the near future.
- Customer Feedback (10/10): The customer reviews for this product are positive and have a high score, indicating satisfaction.
- Product Variety (10/10): These puppy toys are available in two sizes (small & medium) and two colors (pink & blue).
What Should I Look for in Puppy Toys?
There are a couple of things you should look for in puppy toys:
- Size: Make sure that the puppy toys are the right size for your dog. Getting a toy that’s too small can end up being a choking hazard.
- Interactive: While some dogs enjoy squeak toys that they can interact with, other dogs don’t. You’ll want to keep a close watch on your dog to see which ones it enjoys the most.
- Safety: Safety should be your number one concern when choosing a dog toy. Make sure the dog toy doesn’t contain any sharp pins or springs that can be dangerous if swallowed.
- Durability: Dogs love to chew things, and because of that, you want to ensure that dog toys are durable and will last through periods of heavy chewing.
How Many Toys Should a Puppy Have at Once?
Dogs need a couple of toys to keep them mentally stimulated. Usually, puppies under six months of age can have 2 puppy toys at once, puppies between six and nine months can play with three toys, and puppies over the age of one can have four toys at the same time.
A dog can play with a toy for a long time. But if you have too many toys, it can be overwhelming for your dog. You can encourage your puppy to play with one toy at a time by putting them away when they are done playing with them.