Table of Contents
Best Salmon Oil for Cats Summary
- Best Overall Salmon Oil for Cats: Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
This Alaskan salmon oil for dogs & cats is our top pick as it boosts the overall health of your pet.
- Best Natural Ingredients Salmon Oil for Cats: Vital Pet Life Salmon Oil for Dogs & Cats
This oil contains omega-3 fatty acids derived from pure and natural salmon fish oil and improves your pet’s skin health.
- Best Salmon Oil for Cats Chews: Essential Pet Alaska Wild Salmon Oil Soft Chews
Available in the form of a tasty, small-bite, soft chews, this treat is designed to be a hit with your pets.
- Best Pure Salmon Oil for Cats Formula: Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Made with locally sourced ingredients, you can expect 100% pure salmon oil in every single drop.
- Best Budget-Friendly Salmon Oil for Cats: PetHonesty Liquid Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Made with 100% natural wild Alaskan salmon, this oil offers a healthy package that boosts immunity and skin health.
- Best Sustainable Salmon Oil for Cats: Dr. Joseph’s Vetpro Complete 100% Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
With no chemicals or byproducts, this salmon oil for cats is sourced and made with environmentally friendly practices.
- Reduce Shedding + Improve Skin and Coat - Plano Paws Wild Caught Omega 3 for Cats is made with pure Anchovies, Herring, Mackerel, and Sardines from the clear ocean waters off the coast of Iceland.
- Low Odor, Safe + Effective - Our pet liquid fish oil is human grade and molecularly distilled to remove all harmful toxins and heavy metals to support joint health, skin, coat, heart, + immune system.
- For All Breeds and Ages - Our fish oil for cats liquid pump makes it easy to give your cat omega 3 oils they need to stay healthy and happy. Just squirt the fish oil onto your kitten or cats food.
Is Salmon Oil Good for Cats?
Yes, salmon oil for cats is an excellent choice. Salmon oil contains essential fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6. They reduce inflammation in the body and improve the cat’s skin and coat.
Salmon oil for cats works on different body systems and comes with several health benefits. In simple terms, salmon oil supports the cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems. It also boosts cognition, helps maintain healthy body weight, and prevents hairballs.
What are the Benefits of Salmon Oil for Cats?
Salmon oil for cats works on several levels. Here are some of the benefits of adding salmon oil supplements to your cat’s menu:
- Joint Support. Salmon oil contains EPA and DHA (long-chain polyunsaturated omega fatty acids) with potent anti-inflammatory features. They are particularly beneficial for arthritic cats with achy joints.
- Heart Protection. Salmon oil helps prevent heart disease as its constituents reduce the levels of triglycerides (a type of crude fat linked with cardiovascular issues). It also works as an anticoagulant.
- Skin Health. Salmon oil helps relieve dry and flaky skin. The omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are great for skin and coat health. Low levels of omega acids lead to skin issues – irritation and itchiness.
- Kidney Function. Fish oil reduces high blood pressure and decreases protein loss in the urine. It also limits the production of pro-inflammatory chemicals that can damage the kidneys and cause kidney disease.
- Better Cognition. Salmon oil is known to improve cognitive function, especially in older cats. It was also responsible for decreasing pattern-pacing behaviors. This is thanks to the DHA content.
- Weight Management. Omega-3 fatty acids control the plasma insulin levels and help control certain metabolites associated with weight gain. This reduces the risk of obesity, thus preventing many health problems.
- Hairball Control. Improved overall skin and coat health due to salmon oil help reduce hairball formation and coughing. The healthier the cat’s skin and coat are, the less hair loss hence fewer hairballs.
Can Salmon Oil Make Cats Sick?
No, salmon oil cannot make cats sick when used responsibly. The supplement is considered to be extremely safe for cats.
However, if misused, it is linked with certain side effects. For example, if a cat consumes too much salmon oil, it will probably develop stomach upset (vomiting and diarrhea).
If your cat has been taking excessive quantities of oil for a prolonged period of time, it might develop a fishy odor, oily coat, and drowsiness. Since fish oil is high in calories, it can cause weight gain.
It is best to consult a vet before giving your cat supplements.
The Best Salmon Oil for Cats Reviewed
There are many salmon oil supplements on the market. With so many options, it is hard to find the best product. To keep things simple, we have selected and reviewed some of the best salmon oils and treats for cats.
Summary: This premium fish oil formula is a great source of health-boosting omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA). It works as a great skin health booster and supports the cat’s immune system, thus fighting off pathogens.
- Tastes great for cats
- Supports skin, coat, joints, heart, and immune system
- Contains omega-3 & omega-6 fatty acids
- Easy to use & mess-free
- Increases skin moisture content
- May cause allergies in some cats
Review: This is among the best fish oil supplement that is available online. You can simply add a bit of it to your cat food. It works great against dry skin and does not contain any preservatives.
Summary: This wild Alaskan salmon oil is the exact supplement for your furry friend. The fatty acids in this oil promote healthy skin and act as an anti-inflammatory. It is made with ingredients sourced from the USA.
- Improves coat health and reduces itchy skin
- Boosts cognitive function
- Works well for joint health
- Can be used with any pet food
- Has minimal side effects
- Might lead to an allergic reaction in some cats
- Has to be used according to your pet’s body weight
Review: This oil is made with high-quality natural ingredients and is a great supplement to add to your pet’s diet. It can be used with wet or dry food and caters to your cat’s needs in terms of health.
Summary: These tasty, small bite soft chews are made with premium-grade fish oil for cats. Rich in essential fatty acids, they not only improve your cat’s diet but also cure flaky skin and skin allergies. Plus, they are made in the USA and are easy to use.
- Easy to dispense
- Value for money
- Great taste
- Manufactured in FDA registered facility
- Gives healthy and smooth skin
- Might be difficult to store
Review: Pet owners love the fact that these soft chews are made with premium ingredients. They are also happy with the straightforward use and the supplement’s ability to support the cat’s overall wellness.
Summary: This salmon oil is great for cats suffering from heart disease and kidney disease. Additionally, it is also great for your cat’s skin and counters issues like itchiness and dandruff. The oil also contains the goodness of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
- Improves heart health
- Can be used with both cat and dog food
- Reduces scratching and shedding
- Improves joint health increasing accessibility
- Great tasting formula
- Requires to be stored in a cool area
Review: Customers say this product is great for the pet’s skin health. Unlike most fish oil products, this does not contain any preservatives and has minimal side effects.
Summary: This oil for cats is made with wild salmon from the coast of wild Alaska. It contains high levels of DHA and EPA, among other fatty acids that work to improve your pet’s coat. It also builds your pet’s immunity and promotes joint health.
- Easy to dispense
- Great flavor and taste
- No carrier oils or additives present
- Improves skin health
- Made in the USA
- The dispenser may break easily
Review: Pet owners say that this salmon oil is a blessing – it tastes great and can be used to top your pet’s food (dry or wet food). Plus, it comes at an affordable price.
Summary: This Alaskan salmon oil is safe for cats of all breeds and sizes. It can be easily pumped into your pet’s food. It contains immunity-boosting fatty acids that make your pet active and give them energy for daily play.
- Contains a great tasting flavor
- Improves skin health
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves heart health
- Sustainably sourced
- May cause an allergic reaction
Review: This salmon oil for cats is excellent is great for your pet as it boosts their immunity, improves bone health, and leads to a healthier coat. Pet owners are also happy with its eco-friendly sourcing and manufacturing.
What is the Best Salmon Oil for Cats?
Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is our top pick when it comes to the best salmon oil for cats. There are certain factors that one needs to consider before they click checkout when shopping for salmon oil for cats:
- Fish Type. It is crucial to know the type of fish your oil comes from. In general, salmon, sardines, and anchovies have high levels of DHA and EPA.
- Cold-Pressed. If the fish oil is processed at high temperatures, its fatty acids may get damaged. Therefore, it is crucial for the oil to be cold-pressed.
- Distilled. When raw, fish oil might contain toxins that might be harmful to your pet. It is crucial that the oil you purchase is distilled and free from impurities.
- Third-Party Tested. If the oil is third-party tested, you can be sure of the purity. This is a key factor that needs to be taken into consideration.
- A tasty & body nourishing treat for cats & dogs - Zesty Paws Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is a natural fish oil additive supplement that supports the skin, coat, hips and joints, heart, and immune system.
- Healthy, powerful Omega fatty acids - This premium Salmon Oil is rich with Omega-3 & Omega-6 fatty acid from EPA & DHA, that can help keep skin & coats soft & support the holistic health of your pet.
- Help your pet stay in great shape - The rich Omegas in Salmon Oil help to aid hip, joint, heart, and immune function to keep your pet healthy.
How Often Can I Give My Cat Salmon Oil?
If your cat weighs 15 pounds or less, it is suggested that they are given around 1/2 teaspoon of oil per day. This oil can be poured directly over their food. If you observe positive effects in the next couple of weeks, you can reduce the quantity to 1/4 teaspoon per day.
For larger cats, the dosage can be 1 teaspoon initially and then reduced to 1/2 for good measure. The oil can be served with their morning meal. Additionally, if you have the oil in the form of a soft chew, you can give them outside of their meals.
How Much Salmon Oil Can I Give My Cat?
Salmon oil contains EPA and DHA, which are the key ingredients. The amount of oil you give your cat depends on their body weight. However, a generic formula to use is 30-50 mg of EPA+DHA (combined) per kg of body weight.
For an exact answer, read the dosage information on the supplement’s label – this is because different manufacturers offer different products with varying potencies. For a more informed decision, you can even talk to a vet before dosing your cat.
How Long Does it Take for Salmon Oil to Work on Cats?
Generally speaking, salmon oil for cats takes between two and three weeks to exert its beneficial effects. However, the exact timeframe depends on several factors, such as the salmon oil’s quality and strength and the cat’s overall health.