Table of Contents
Best Salmon Oil for Dogs Summary
- Best Overall Salmon Oil for Dogs: Vets Preferred Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Dogs
Best salmon oil for dogs with a wide variety of benefits such as healthier coats and high energy levels.
- Most Efficient Salmon Oil for Dogs: Petsmont Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Formula
This salmon oil for dogs available in an efficient pump and squirt bottle, thus making it easy to use.
- Best Salmon Oil for Immunity: PetHonesty Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs
Highly beneficial salmon oil for dogs that improves the overall immunity and helps fight off infections.
- Most Sustainable Salmon Oil for Dogs: Natural Dog Company Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs
Made using Alaskan fish, this salmon oil for dogs is produced sustainably and is good for the environment.
- Most Affordable Salmon Oil for Dogs: Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs & Cats
Without any artificial preservatives, this salmon oil for dogs is among the most affordable brands on the market.
- Best Natural Salmon Oil for Dogs: Vital Pet Life Salmon Oil for Dogs
Made using fresh ingredients sourced from nature, this fish oil supplement is the perfect addition to your dog’s mealtime.
- Most Safe Salmon Oil for Dogs: DOGSWELL Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
This fish oil for dogs promotes a healthy immune system and is among the safest salmon oil for your dog.
- Most Easy-To-Use Salmon Oil for Dogs: Grizzly Omega Health for Dogs
In a convenient package, this salmon oil is the easiest to use dog supplement available on Amazon.
Is Salmon Oil Good for Dogs?
Yes, salmon oil is good for dogs. In fact, salmon oil is a natural supplement with many health benefits for dogs.
However, before giving salmon oil to your dog, it is advisable to talk to a veterinarian. Just because fish oil for dogs is safe and beneficial does not mean your doggie needs salmon oil supplements.
What are the Benefits of Salmon Oil for Dogs?
Salmon, and fish oil for dogs in general, come with several health benefits. Omega-3, which is an integral part of this oil, is the healthy compound that is responsible for improved health. From brains and bones to skin allergies and inflammation, omega-3s can help with a myriad of conditions.
Let us take a look at the health benefits of dog salmon oil.
- Helps with Skin Allergies. Salmon oil is a godsend for dog breeds such as Golden Retrievers or Jack Russells, as they are more prone to developing skin conditions or allergies. The oil helps to build a barrier of strong cells that prevents a reaction when the skin comes into contact with allergens such as dust, pollen, or grass.
- Combats Inflammation. Omega-3s (docosahexaenoic acid or DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA) help reduce inflammation throughout the dog’s body. This helps combat gastritis, itchy skin, and inflamed and painful joints.
- Improves Cognitive Function. Pure salmon oil is really good for your dog’s brain. This holds true for dogs of all ages, but especially for puppies. This is because the DHA in the oil has a major role in brain development.
- Maintains Soft and Shiny Coats. Salmon oil essentially helps to balance skin moisture (from the inside) and leads to healthy skin. You can expect your dog to have a healthier and shinier coat.
- Supports the Immune System. After taking the oil, your dog’s body will be able to fight off common allergies thanks to an improved immune system. Your dog will not fall ill often and thus lesser vet visits.
- Fights Cancer. It is said that salmon oil can help prevent canine cancer and help slow the growth of cancer once it has begun spreading. It certainly also helps with conditions caused by cancer, such as cachexia.
- Improves Overall Health. In addition to the above benefits, the omega-3s, EPA, and DHA help maintain a healthy heart, kidney, and liver function. This will extend your dog’s life and keep them happy and active overall.
The Best Salmon Oil for Dogs Reviewed
There are many fish oil for dogs on the market. To help pet owners navigate the options, we have reviewed some of the best salmon oil supplements for dogs.
Summary: This Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, making it beneficial for dogs ranging from a Pug to a German Shepherd. Additionally, it also has anti-inflammatory properties and contains 409.5 mg EPA and 455.0 mg DHA. This oil can also help fight itchy, dry skin, shedding, and allergies.
- Helps restore the pet’s skin and coat health
- Boosts the immune system
- Reinforces joint health and provides joint support
- Excellent for dogs with arthritis
- With veterinarian-grade fish oil
- Made in GMP facilities in the USA
- Might cause an allergic reaction in some dogs
Review: This is among the best oil that can be added to your dog’s kibble or soft chews. In addition to being immunity-boosting, it also helps improve the overall condition of your dog’s skin.
Summary: This oil helps to support your pet’s skin, coat, vision, brain, and gut, all while boosting the body’s natural immune response. It also contains omega fatty acids that help improve joint pain and bone health.
- Helps fight off dog allergies
- Builds appetite and supports nutrition
- Promotes skin, vision, brain, and gut health
- With salmon and pollock oil
- Comes in an easy-to-use pump bottle
- The product might need to be kept under refrigeration
- Could lead to an allergic reaction
Review: Available in a convenient bottle, this fish oil supplement is great for your pet’s health. It not only builds immunity but also keeps your pet active and energetic.
Summary: This salmon oil has the highest concentrations of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which help your dog’s brain, heart, skin, coat, and joints. It also contains Hemp Oil and Vitamin E oil that further support your dog’s overall health.
- High-quality salmon oil supplement
- Salmon oil formula with added hemp oil
- Rich in vitamin E and antioxidants
- Improves brain and heart health
- Comes in an easy-to-use pump bottle
- Must be stored in a dark and cool place (eg. fridge)
Review: This is among the most well-balanced salmon oil available on the market. It keeps your dog healthy and builds immunity from within.
Summary: This oil can become your dog’s favorite treat, thanks to its smell and taste. It can be added to dry food as a topping. It helps counter recurring skin problems and is enriched with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Boosts the dog’s immune system
- Supports cognitive function and joint health
- Made with wild salmon and beneficial nutrients
- Helps with itchy, flaky, and dry skin
- Delicious taste all dogs love and eat
- Could cause an allergic reaction in the dog’s skin
Review: This salmon oil is made with wild salmon caught in Alaska. Therefore, you can be assured of the quality of the product. Additionally, it is produced using environmentally friendly and sustainable methods.
Summary: This salmon oil comes with a powerful anti-itch and allergy support. It also relieves dry skin, a dull shedding coat, hot spots, or itching and irritation. It can be used as a food topper on your dog food, thanks to its amazing taste.
- Premium formula safe for dogs and cats
- Made with wild salmon from Alaska
- Improves the dog’s overall coat health
- Available in a convenient pump dispenser
- Can be used as a tasty food topper
- Must be kept in the refrigeration
Review: Among the most tasteful oils available on the market, this product can help keep your pet happy and healthy. It can also provide relief against skin problems such as dry skin and itching.
Summary: This oil is certified 100% sustainable as they use salmon that is wild and traceable. It contains essential omega 3 fatty acids to give your dog an amazing and shiny coat. It also acts as a defense against allergies.
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Supports the dog’s health naturally
- 100% all-natural and safe formula
- Comes with a pump or a flip cap for convenience
- Can be used as a topping for the dog food
- Needs to be stored in cool and dark conditions
Review: This oil improves bone health and also supports a healthy immune system. Therefore, it is perfect for your older dog. It is also available in a convenient bottle for easy use.
Summary: This oil helps to boost the body’s natural immune response and also provides relief from dry skin, itching, and irritation. It also contains omega fatty acids that help improve immunity in your dog.
- Made with salmon caught in the USA
- Helps counter skin issues and dandruff
- Efficient in managing inflammation
- With sustainably sourced ingredients
- Features NASC-quality seal
- Reports about the pump getting damaged
Review: This oil is made using environmentally friendly procedures. The salmon used to make this oil has been caught in Alaska, making it a product made in the USA.
Summary: Made from wild Alaskan Pollock oil, this product contains significant levels of DHA and EPA. Therefore, it easily supports a healthy immune system and healthy skin and coat. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helps build healthy skin and coat
- Made with wild Alaskan salmon and pollock
- Can be added to pet foods as
- Contains high levels of DHA and EPA
- Rich taste that is palatable to dogs
- Needs to be stored in a cool and dark place, ideally a fridge
Review: This salmon oil is among the most popular oils available in this category. It provides relief against skin problems and builds overall immunity to fight off common infections and allergies.
What is the Best Salmon Oil for Dogs?
Vets Preferred Premium Wild Alaskan is the best oil available, especially if you want your dog’s coat shiny and healthy. However, before choosing your salmon oil brand, you need to keep a few things in mind.
A good salmon oil brand should check the following boxes.
- Natural Ingredients. The ingredients in the salmon oil must be sourced sustainably and locally. Pure salmon oil must also be free from unnecessary and artificial additives.
- Convenient Package. Ideally, the salmon oil supplement will come in a convenient and easy-to-use package, such as a spray or pump bottle.
- Dog-Friendly Flavor. Even the best salmon oil can be useless if the dog refuses to eat it. Most brands ensure the supplement has a dog-friendly flavor for easy administration.
- Brand and Price. Finally, you need to pay attention to the brand’s reliability – always read reviews from previous users. Also, check if the price tag is acceptable for you.
- SALMON OIL FOR DOGS: Wild Alaskan Dog Salmon Oil helps dogs achieve a shiny and healthy coat with omega-3 fatty acids.
- HELPS DRY SKIN, ITCHING, FLAKING, SHEDDING, & ALLERGIES: Our Wild Salmon Oil for Dogs has all-natural nutrients help to keep animal coats soft while supporting overall health.
- VETERINARIAN-GRADE FISH OIL: The best fish oil for dogs is veterinary formulated using only wild, non-farmed salmon fresh-caught in the pure waters of Alaska.
What are the Side Effects of Salmon Oil for Dogs?
There are several side effects that one can expect while using salmon oil. As much as people may sing the praises of salmon oil, overdoing it can have devastating consequences.
- Delayed Healing. Being a potent anti-inflammatory, do not give your dog too much salmon oil while they have an injury or have just had surgery. This is because the white blood cells, which would usually be sent to the inflamed area, will be diverted away. This would mean a much slower healing process and a much higher likelihood of infection.
- Tummy Troubles. An excess of salmon oil can lead to weight gain and gastric issues. This includes nausea. During such a situation, it is key that you monitor your dog’s reaction to the excess oil supplement.
- Increased Sleepiness. Excess salmon oil can make your pet more sleepy and lazy overall. It will lead to less play and more snoozing around, which can be bad for your pet’s health. A lazy pet is more prone to cardiovascular diseases and becoming obese.
- Skin Problems. Salmon oil is usually good on the skin of your dog. However, taking too much salmon oil can lead to a fishy odor on the skin, increased itchiness, an oily coat, or skin flakes. You might also observe a fishy odor in your dog’s breath which is indicative of overuse.
How Much Salmon Oil can You Give a Dog?
To determine how much oil you should give your dog, always closely follow the dosage on the packaging.
If you are planning on using the oil to treat a specific condition, there is a chance that you might need to increase the dose. If that is the case, then be sure to consult your vet before administering the oil.
If you are merely adding it as a supplement, the recommended dosage is calculated according to your dog’s weight:
- 0-26lbs = 4ml
- 27-53lbs = 8ml
- 54-106lbs = 12ml
- 107lbs = +16ml
Most brands of salmon oil will have dosage information on the bottle and are just like reading a dog food label. Make sure to read that before deciding on how much oil to give your pet, as the potency might vary with the product.
Can I Give My Dog Salmon Oil Every Day?
Yes! If you stick to the quantity that your dog can digest, then there is no harm in giving your dog salmon oil every day. That being said, be sure to consult your vet before starting to use any oil.
The benefits of salmon oil for dogs are plentiful. Healthy cells make for healthy dogs, and omega-3s help to keep cell membranes healthy throughout your dog’s body.
What Happens if I Give My Dog too Much Salmon Oil?
Giving your dog too much salmon oil can result in many side effects. These include weight gain, gastric issues, nausea, and a runny tummy.
Additionally, these symptoms could also be due to an overdose. Thus, it is important to monitor your dog’s reaction to the supplement. Some reactions may disappear after using it for a while, and others might become more serious in time, in which case it is best to take a trip to the vet.
Overdosing generally means that you have given a higher dose of salmon oil than what’s recommended over an extended period of time.
Based on credible research, a safe dose of salmon oil for dogs is between 20-55mg EPA and DHA (combined) per pound of body weight.
Now, if your dog has overdosed on salmon oil, it will have symptoms such as weak immunity, internal bleeding, coagulation disorder, lethargy, diarrhea, and vitamin E deficiency.
If you notice such signs, immediately take your dog to the vet. Additionally, keep a note of the quantity of fish oil and their administration time in a logbook. This can help the vet make an informed decision while treating your dog.
How do I Give My Dog Salmon Oil?
Adding salmon oil to your dog’s diet should be relatively easy. These supplements are available in the form of treats, pills, and oil, which can be added to their food.
In some cases, if the dog is very diet-sensitive, your vet might advise a topical fatty acid treatment. However, it is best to give the others a go first because a topical approach would most likely be rather, well, smelly.
What Age Can I Give My Puppy Salmon Oil?
You can start giving salmon oil to your pup after they have fully weaned. This is around eight weeks of age.
However, it is recommended to let a vet decide if your puppy is ready for supplements.
How do You Store Salmon Oil for Dogs?
To store your salmon oil, keep it in a cool and dark location, or else it can easily become rancid when exposed to higher temperatures.
Additionally, if you have a refrigerator, it would be recommended as a storage option. This is because the cool temperature in a fridge will be able to keep your supplements fresh for a longer time.