Science Diet Cat Food Summary
- Best Overall Science Diet Cat Food: Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dry Cat Food
Premium quality and balanced dry cat food enriched with taurine that supports cardiovascular health in cats.
- Best Science Diet Cat Food for Indoor Cats: Hill’s Science Diet Adult Indoor Dry Cat Food
This dry cat food is specially formulated according to the lifestyle of indoor cats and promotes healthy digestion.
- Best Natural Science Diet Cat Food: Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Adult, Multiple Benefit
Made using natural ingredients, this particular food gives your cat lean muscles and improves their mobility around the house.
- Best Weight Management Science Diet Cat Food: Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Adult, Perfect Weight for Weight Management
Thanks to a special blend of ingredients, this cat food is the perfect weight management tool your overweight cat needs.
- Best Science Diet Cat Food for Digestion: Hill’s Science Diet Adult Cat Dry Perfect Digestion
This healthy cat food helps to improve digestive well-being and offers a healthy microbiome in your cat’s body.
What is Science Diet Cat Food?
Science Diet Cat Food is a reputable pet food company. Originally, it was known as Hill Rendering Works and dated back to 1907. It was inaugurated by Burton Hill in Topeka, Kansas.
The company added a milling division that had the ability to manufacture animal feed. This earned the company a new name – Hill Packing Company.
By the 1940s, the company entered into a contract with Dr. Mark L. Morris, a veterinarian who was responsible for some of the first clinical diets for animals. This led to the manufacturing of Canine k/d, which was a special diet for dogs who had kidney disease.
Over the years, this partnership grew, and the company rebranded itself as Hill’s Pet Nutrition. This led to the formation of the popular Hill’s Science Diet.
Later on, in 1976, Colgate-Palmolive Company purchased Hill’s Pet Nutrition. Today, Science Diet Cat Food sells products in almost 86 countries all over the world.
Where is Science Diet Cat Food Made?
Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food and pet products are manufactured in facilities owned by the company all over the United States. Thanks to a robust and dedicated research department, Hill’s Pet Nutrition makes premium-grade pet foods.
Today, there are upwards of 220 veterinarians, food scientists, technicians, and Ph.D. nutritionists who work together to create these products. Their base in Kansas is a world-class research facility, making the brand an authority on animal nutrition.
How is Science Diet Cat Food Made?
According to Hill, the Science Diet Cat Food recipes are made using ingredients that meet stringent quality standards. Additionally, these ingredients are human-grade and therefore safe.
Every ingredient that is used is examined for its nutritional benefits and safety. These ingredients are sourced from North America, Europe, and New Zealand.
Is Science Diet Cat Food Good for Cats?
Yes, Science Diet Cat Food is good. The food is made using ingredients (such as savory chicken, among others) that are formulated into a balanced mix. This caters to the needs of your pet and promotes healthy and gentle digestion.
Science Diet Cat Food Formulas Reviewed
Finding the right Science Diet Cat Food for your feline friend can be hard. To help cat owners make an educated decision, we have reviewed the brand’s best formulas.
Summary: This is among the best cat food available on Amazon and Chewy. It is perfect for digestive health, shiny fur, lean muscles, and a healthy immune system. This helps your feline friend have accessibility to higher furniture and couches for more cuddles. It also helps your cat maintain a healthy weight, thanks to its natural fiber content. Available in the form of dry kibble, it contains high-quality protein and natural flavors, much to your cat’s delight.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Immune boosting
- Contains taurine for heart health
- Improves kidney & bladder health
- Builds and maintains lean muscle
- Packed with vitamin E
- No artificial additives
- Might cause digestive problems in some cats
- The taste might not suit some cats
- Chicken: Helps to build lean muscle and improve mobility
- Whole Grain Wheat: Offers fiber in your cat’s diet
- Corn Gluten Meal: Could lead to an allergic reaction in some cats
Review: This is the perfect entree and a great substitute for wet cat food, mainly for cats in the adult life stage. It is also great if your cat has a sensitive stomach.
Summary: This indoor adult dry cat food is as good as any canned cat food, thanks to its premium ingredients. It ensures manageable cat litter thanks to fish oil, chicken liver flavor, and choline chloride, which improve digestion. It also contains ocean fish and soybean oil in addition to natural flavors that boost immunity. Some websites also offer a discount during checkout.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Healthy digestion
- Perfect for cats with an indoor lifestyle
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Easy litter box clean up
- Contains quality protein and natural fibers
- Veterinarian recommended
- Cannot be used as kitten food
- Does not have a grain-free formula
- Chicken Meal: A substitute for fresh chicken; offers protein
- Wheat Gluten: Contains fiber but could lead to an allergic reaction
- Dried Beet Pulp: Contains antioxidants and other nutrients
Review: This product contains natural fibers that aid in digestion. Additionally, it also contains calcium sulfate, which helps in urinary health.
Summary: This product contains added protein which helps to build muscle along with L-carnitine which helps in the conversion of fat to energy. Additionally, it contains natural ingredients which make it easy to digest, reduce hairballs, and build energy. However, this product is not recommended for kittens and pregnant cats and requires a consultation from a vet for best results.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Multi-benefits
- Supports ideal weight for adult cats
- Contains quality protein
- Natural fibers support digestive health
- Helps in urinary hairball control
- Made in the USA with global ingredients
- Soybean oil as a source of fatty acids
- Whole Grain Wheat: Contains fiber but could cause an allergic reaction in some cats
- Chicken Liver Flavor: Added as a substitute for chicken
- Soybean Oil: Helps in digestion but may not be the best option for cats
Review: This product is available in dry kibble form and helps to support cats with various body types. It also contains quality protein, which helps to build muscle and improve mobility.
Summary: This product helps your cat lose weight through a delicious and effective nutritious formula. It contains beneficial ingredients such as L-lysine (which controls herpes) and Potassium Chloride (which boosts flavor) that improves your cat’s quality of life. While this product is specially made for adults, you can opt for Hill’s Science Diet Kitten formula for your baby cats.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Weight management
- Breakthrough weight management food
- Contains Roasted Vegetable & Chicken
- Made with natural ingredients
- Veterinarian Recommended
- Builds lean muscle
- Cannot be used as a kitten food
- Does not have a grain-free formula
- Chicken Liver Flavor: Works as a great substitute for chicken
- Coconut Oil: Helps in lubrication and contains beneficial minerals
Review: This indoor chicken recipe dry cat food is exactly what your cat needs if they have a weight problem. This product helps to keep their weight in check and maintains overall health.
Summary: This product helps to improve your cat’s gut microbiome. This leads to better digestion and more regular stools. It contains the right blend of ingredients that help to boost immunity and the overall well-being of your feline friend. It contains ActivBiome+ Technology that provides balanced nutrition and gut health.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Improved digestion
- Offers ultimate digestive well-being
- Creates a healthy microbiome
- Promotes regular and healthy stools
- Contains an exclusive blend of prebiotics
- Made with high-quality chicken
- Might lead to digestive troubles in some cats
- Not suitable for kittens
- Corn Gluten Meal: Contains fiber but could lead to loose stools
- Chicken Fat: Adds a tasty flavor to the food to make it more palatable
- Whole Grain Oats: Offer fiber to your cat’s diet and improve digestive health
Review: This product helps to maintain your cat’s weight, especially if they are prone to digestive troubles. Additionally, this product is popular among cats who are known to be picky eaters.
What Cat Food Formulas does Science Diet Make?
Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food offers several formulas in the dry and wet cat food categories. Here is a list of some of the brand’s best-selling dry cat foods:
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Grain-Free cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Multiple Benefit cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ No Corn, Wheat, Soy
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 11+ Chicken Recipe cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Urinary Hairball Control cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Perfect Weight cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Light cat food
The wet food line includes:
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Turkey & Liver Entrée cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Kitten Liver & Chicken Entrée
- Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin Tuna & Vegetable Entrée cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Hairball Control Ocean Fish Entrée cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Tender Chicken Dinner Cat Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Chicken & Spinach Casserole Cat Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Senior Vitality Chicken & Vegetable Stew Cat Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Kitten Healthy Cuisine Roasted Chicken & Rice Medley
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Healthy Cuisine Roasted Chicken & Rice Medley cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Healthy Cuisine Seared Tuna & Carrot Medley cat food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 11+ Healthy Cuisine Seared Tuna & Carrot Medley cat food
Other lines from the same brand include Hill’s Prescription Diet and Hill’s Healthy Advantage. They are prescription formulas crafted to support the nutritional needs of cats with specific health issues.
Has Science Diet Cat Food Been Recalled?
Over the years, Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food has been recalled only a few times. The most recent recall was back in 2019 when high levels of Vitamin D were found in some batches of foods. As a result, the brand strengthened its stringent quality assurance.
In 2015, the brand had to recall a few varieties of dog food because of labeling issues. 62 bags of pet food were recalled back in 2014 in Nevada, California, and Hawaii after they were found to be infected by Salmonella. Finally, back in 2007, Hill’s was recalled along with several other pet food brands because of melamine contamination.
Is Science Diet Cat Food Worth it?
Yes, Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food is totally worth it. The brand works with a team of qualified experts and runs a state-of-the-art research facility. As a result, they manufacture premium pet foods.
Science Diet Cat Food offers blends that are suitable for both cats and kittens. Plus, if your cat is suffering from a specific problem, you can be sure to find a product specially made for that.