What is the Best Slow Feeder Cat Bowl?
- Best Overall Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Cilkus Slow Feeder Bowl for Cats
The ridges in this bowl are spaced far enough apart to be easily cleaned without providing enough room for cats to gobble their food.
- Best Easy Clean Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Petstages Kitty Slow Feeder Cat Bowl
This bowl’s durability, safety, and affordability give it everything to make this the best overall package.
- Most Reviewed Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Outward Hound Fun Feeder Slo Bowl
With over 1 million sold and over 86,000 reviews on just Amazon, this slow feeder is a tested method to slow down a cat’s eating.
- Best Value for a Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Biubiucat Elevated Slow Feeder Cat Bowl
This raised food bowl comes with a water bowl at an affordable price.
- Best Tilted Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Y YHY Slow Feeder Cat Bowl
This bowl features a 15-degree tilt and is elevated to provide comfort and accessibility to mobility-restricted cats.
- Most Options for a Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: UPSKY Slow Feeder Cat Bowl
This slow-feeding bowl is available in a large selection of colors and designs.
- Most Mentally Stimulating Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Lfpkixise Slow Feeder Cat Bowls
The elongated shape of this puzzle feeder requires cats to move from one end to the other to find the best way to get at the food.
- Most Durable Melamine Slow Feeder Cat Bowl: Lionwei Melamine Slow Feeder Cat Bowl
Made of food-grade melamine plastic that is odor-free and non-toxic, this slow feeder ranks highly in sturdiness, durability, and longevity.
- Fun Interactive Feeder Bloat Stop Cat Bowl Preventing Feeder Anti Gulping Healthy Eating Diet Pet Bowls Against Bloat, Indigestion and Obesity.
- Fish pool design attract your pet to enjoy eating slowly, brings added fun and improves its agility. Reasonable distance between ridge and valley can effectively delay the pet eating speed.
- Can be easily cleaned by handwash and dishwasher, Non-toxic and Odor-free, Lead.Totally safe for your pet to use and also save your time.
Why do Cats Need Slow Feeders?
The slow feeder cat bowl is a helpful tool that makes mealtime safer and more enjoyable. Here are some of the reasons cats need slow feeders:
Are Slow Feeder Bowls Good for Cats?
Yes, the slow feeder cat bowl is good.
Here are some of the benefits of slow feeder bowls:
- Reduced Food Intake. Reducing your cat’s food intake doesn’t have to be a purely purposeful endeavor. Feeding them with slow feeders will force them to eat slower, which will allow their brains to realize they are full earlier than they would if they were eating from a normal bowl. This encourages the cat to stop eating before it becomes too full or eats too much, and this alone can be a good weight management technique.
- Mental Stimulation. Puzzle bowls provide cats with mental stimulation that offers a range of benefits. When cats use their brains to solve problems, you’re encouraging their brains to form neural pathways that will keep their minds sharp.
- Entertainment. Providing cats with something to do is important for keeping them happy. A happy cat will be less likely to exhibit destructive behavior. Entertaining your cat with things like puzzle bowls, a room with a view, and dedicated play time each day will promote healthy mental faculties and emotional stability in your cat.
- Improved Quality of Life: It is recommended to play with your cat for a minimum of ten minutes a day. A slow feeder bowl can offer cats a simulation of that action and can make them feel better about what they ate and how they ate it. When a cat is happy with mealtime, it will likely be happy with other factors in its life.
The Best Slow Feeder Cat Bowls Reviewed
There are different slow feeder cat bowls. To help you find the right one for your pet, we have reviewed several bestsellers.
Features: Made of melamine plastic, raised fish-shaped ridges to prevent cats from being able to reach all of their food at once, dishwasher safe, non-toxic, and lead-free
Bowl Size: 6.2 and 8.7 inches
Bowl Material: Melamine
Summary: This slow feeder cat food bowl features fish-shaped ridges that allow the cat to reach its food, but not all at once, to avoid bloating and obesity. The ridges are spaced reasonably far apart and are made of melamine plastic. It is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning and is odor-free, non-toxic, and free of lead. It comes in two sizes to suit the needs of every sized cat and is available in several colors.
- Dishwasher safe
- Non-toxic and lead-free
- Raised ridges prevent bloating
- Made of food-grade melamine plastic
- Non-slip rubber base
- Unpleasant smell when the product is new
Review: Most consumers praised this slow-feed cat bowl for its high quality and ability to prevent cats from gulping their food. They said it has decreased their cat’s vomiting and overeating, with numerous reviewers saying it has actually caused their cat to lose weight. Negative reviews, however, made up nearly 10% of total reviews on Amazon and Chewy. Users complained the bowl was too shallow, and their cat made a mess while eating. Some also complained about a chemical smell coming from the bowl.
Features: Puzzle feeder options, numerous fun animal shapes,
Bowl Size: 5.5 inches
Bowl Material: Plastic
Summary: This slow cat feeder is available in cat puzzle bowls to encourage slower eating. It comes in a treat puzzle dispenser as well as a cat food dispenser version to improve mental stimulation and eating habits. The raised edges of each design decrease eating speed and extend feeding times to reduce the chance of unwanted bloating. This best-selling cat dish is 5.5 inches across and holds up to 3/4 cup of food.
- Phthalate and BPA-free materials
- Non-slip base that prevents spilling
- Holds up to 3/4 of a cup of dry kibble
- Puzzle feeder, treat dispenser, and pet bowl varieties
- Provide a mentally stimulating mealtime
- Not ideal for wet food
Review: Reviews of this cat feeder were mixed, with over 10% of total reviews rating it 1 or 2 stars. Satisfied customers were happy with the puzzle variations of this product and said it had helped their cats eat slower and be more engaged during meals. Negative reviews by customers complain the puzzles may be too challenging, with one person saying in a serious tone this was akin to animal cruelty.
Features: Many variations of color and pattern, dishwasher safe, holds 3/4 cup to 4 cups of food, puzzle feeder variations available, non-slip base
Bowl Size: 5.5 inches
Bowl Material: Plastic
Summary: This lead and phthalate-free slow feeder is available in numerous puzzle patterns and sizes. The tiny version holds up to 3/4 cup of dry food, while the large size holds up to 4 cups. It is BPA and PVC-free and dishwasher safe. With over 1 million sold, this interactive slow feeder is a tried and true method to slow down eating and promote healthy digestion in your pet.
- Available in many colors and patterns
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean
- Holds up to 4 cups of kibble
- Non-slip base that prevents messes
- Lead and phthalate-free materials
- The edges can be too sharp
Review: This slow feeder is an obvious hit, with only 4% of ratings being below 3 stars. Positive reviews rave about how effective this is at encouraging their pets to eat slower. Numerous consumers have bought multiple patterns of the same bowl to give their pets different mental stimulation every day. Critical reviews expressed disappointment in the sharp edges the bowl can sometimes have.
Features: Elevated design, comes with a food and water bowl, mess-free design catches water and food before it hits the floor
Bowl Size: Bowl tray measures 14.13” x 8.34” x 2.75”
Bowl Material: ABS plastic
Summary: This slow feeder is made with ABS plastic for extra durability. The elevated design allows pets to eat without having to bend down excessively. The six-piece design allows the tray to catch food and water before it hits the floor making this a mess-free slow feeder. It is all made with food-grade BPA-free plastic that is environmentally friendly to produce.
- Raised cat bowl that is easy on the joints
- Mess-free design catches spills
- Comes with both a food and water bowl
- Made of ABS, BPA-free plastic
- Eco-friendly piece of pet supply
- Lightweight and easy to trip
Review: There was only one negative review and numerous 1 and 2-star ratings. Happy customers were satisfied with the quality of the set and were happy the bowl was elevated. They enjoyed the mess-proof design and liked that it came with a water bowl. The review said they would be returning the bowl because their kitten was able to move it across the floor when trying to get on top of it to eat.
Features: Elevated design, tilted food bowl, ceramic bowl, spill-proof design
Bowl Size: 6.9”x4.5”
Bowl Material: Ceramic
Summary: The 4.4” height on this tilted slow feeder bowl meets cats at their natural crouched height to prevent unnecessary strain on their neck. It features raised ridges in the bowl to encourage healthy eating speeds and provide mental stimulation in the process. This ceramic cat bowl is designed to be spill-proof with an anti-slip bottom. It is only available in one size that fits the needs of most cats and small dogs.
- Ceramic tilted cat bowl
- Spill-proof design
- Promotes mental stimulation
- Unique fish patterns inside the bowl
- Can be used for small dogs
- Only available in one size
Review: Happy customers claim this bowl had helped their cat and dog lose weight and slowed their eating drastically. They like the elevated height that eliminates the need for their pet to bend down to eat their food, and say the heavy ceramic bowl paired with the non-slip feet provides a secure placement on the floor. Dissatisfied buyers still gave this product 2 stars and said the bowl was hard to pick up and could cause skin outbreaks if the bowl is not cleaned often. There were no 1-star ratings on Amazon.
Features: Non-slip bottom, non-toxic, recyclable
Bowl Material: PP resin
Summary: The intricate design of this puzzle feeder comes in many different variations. It is made of PP resin that is safe, non-toxic, and recyclable. It is made for medium to long-nosed house pets like most breeds of cats and small dogs. It can hold up to 2 cups of dry food and has a food-grade coating that makes it easy to clean.
- Non-slip bottom
- Available in many puzzle designs
- Safe, non-toxic, and recyclable
- The food-grade coating makes cleaning a breeze
- Holds up to 2 cups of kibble
- Not suitable for flat-faced cats
Review: Most customers were pleased with this slow feeder bowl. Owners of cats and dogs of different sizes said this worked well for dogs up to medium size. Some state they bought multiple variations to give their dogs a different mental workout daily. Disappointed buyers say their dog just flipped the bowl over and ate the food from the floor, and cat owners say the ridges are too tall for their cats.
Features: Non-slip pads,
Bowl Size: 12”x6”
Bowl Material: ABS plastic
Summary: Made of ABS plastic, this slow feeder prevents choking and bloat with eco-friendly and non-toxic material. It is easy to clean with a relatively shallow design to get your fingers between the ridges. Anti-skid pads on the bottom provide a secure footing while your cat or dog eats. The elongated design helps to increase the mental stimulation of using this bowl by requiring the animal to walk around the bowl and find the next best point of entry.
- Made with eco-friendly ABS material
- Non-slip pads for stability
- Interactive feeder prevents obesity
- Elongated design helps to increase brain activity
- Available in puppy and kitten variations
- The design may be too intricate for some cats
Review: Happy buyers were thrilled to see their cat quickly warm up to using this bowl. They state their cat no longer vomits after meals and said the bowl was very easy to clean. Nearly 10% of total ratings were negative. The most common complaint is it either didn’t slow down their cat’s eating at all, or it was too difficult for the cat, and they stopped eating from it altogether.
Features: Dishwasher safe, melamine construction, varied texture to provide more mental stimulation,
Bowl Size: 8.7”
Bowl Material: Melamine
Summary: This melamine slow feeder bowl is stylish and functional. Featuring slightly elevated ridges, it slows down gulpers, thus preventing issues like indigestion, vomiting, and obesity. It can be used for both dry and wet cat food. The slow feeder bowl comes in three different colors and is suitable for cats and small dogs.
- Dishwasher safe
- Varied texture for mental stimulation
- Made of food-grade plastic
- Non-toxic and odor-free
- A smooth surface avoids scratches to the face and tongue
- The bowl may be too shallow to work for some cats
Review: Many customers were happy to have bought this bowl. Some said “just get it,” while others talked about how it slowed their pets’ eating down and prevented vomiting immediately after. There was only one critical review, and it simply said it didn’t work for their cat.
What Should I Look for in a Slow Feeder Cat Bowl?
When shopping for a slow feeder cat bowl, it is important to consider the following features:
- Size. Most cats will not need more than 3/4 cup of dry food a day. Although this is not a lot of food, slow feeders are not meant to be completely filled with food. Look at the label and see how much food a given slow feeder can hold. Some slow feeders, most often dog bowls, can hold up to 4 cups of dry food, which is entirely too much for a cat. Be sure to get the correct size bowl for your cat to avoid overfeeding them or giving them the chance to overeat.
- Food Compatibility. Most slow feeder cat bowls are meant for dry food only. The ridges may be too pointed, or the valleys in the bowl may be too narrow for wet cat food. If your cat eats primarily wet food or a mixture of wet and dry, then it is recommended to find a bowl that can be used with both wet and dry cat foods.
- Material. There is a wide variety of materials a slow feeder can be made from. Melamine is the most common plastic used in producing slow feeder cat bowls, but there are other options as well. Stainless steel, silicone, and ceramic slow feeder are safe and non-toxic materials that make high-quality cat food bowls.
Is a Slow Feeder Bowl Better Than a Regular Bowl?
Yes, a slow feeder bowl is better than a regular bowl in some scenarios.
For the potential of a slow feeder cat bowl to be realized, the cat must have a tendency to overeat or eat too quickly. The purpose of slow feeders is to reduce the amount of food taken in within one sitting.
Many cats can control how fast they eat and how much, but many others cannot. For those who cannot control their food intake, a slow-feeder cat food bowl can be a great option and can be better than a regular cat food bowl.
How do I Get My Cat to Use a Slow Feeder Bowl?
Getting your cat used to a slow feeder bowl is relatively easy. Just follow these steps:
- Step 1: Place the empty slow feeder next to their regular cat food bowl. This will get them used to be around it when eating, and they can quickly learn to trust it.
- Step 2: Put some treats in the slow feeder bowl when you feed regular food from its regular food bowl. Over a short amount of time, maybe just a couple of days, the cat will be eating treats from the bowl with no problem.
- Step 3: Split the amount of cat food you feed your cat daily between the two food bowls. You may add treats to the top of the food in the slow feeder if your cat is still skittish about the bowl at this point.
- Step 4: Fill the slow feeder with the usual amount of food and leave the regular bowl next to it but empty. This way, the cat still has a familiar setting but is eating from its new bowl. After the cat is comfortable with this step, you may remove the old bowl, and your cat will be used to eating from a slow feeder.