Table of Contents
Best Small Dog Backpacks
- Best Overall Small Dog Backpack: RUFFWEAR Switchbak Dog Backpack The perfect combination of comfort and control of a harness paired with the functionality of a rucksack.
- Best Small Dog Backpack for Travel: IDOMIK Dog Backpack: Cute design made of very soft and durable material to protect your dog’s skin and fur.
- Best Lightweight Small Dog Backpack: Outward Hound Lightweight Dog Backpack: Excellent lightweight and saddle-style backpack for dogs that love an adventure in the woods.
Best Small Dog Backpack Carriers
- Best Overall Small Dog Backpack Carrier: YUDODO Pet Dog Sling Carrier Lightweight, durable, and comfortable hands-free design with compact storage.
- Best Detail-Oriented Small Dog Backpack Carrier: Pawaboo Pet Carrier Backpack Made of high-quality material, and with a highly detail-oriented overall design.
- Best Breathable Small Dog Backpack Carrier: Texsens Pet Backpack Carrier Sits squarely on your shoulders and is breathable enough for a field day with your dog.
- Best Small Dog Backpack Carrier with a View: BEIKOTT Dog Backpack Carriers Bag Unique pet travel bag with a transparent design that allows seeing the whole world around.
What Can You Put in a Small Dog Backpack?
You can put a lot of dog gear in a small dog backpack. Here are some of the items you can put in a dog carrier backpack:
- Dog treats
- Dog food
- Collapsible bowl
- Water bottle(s)
- First aid (bandages, antiseptic)
- Toys, balls
- Poop bags.
The Best Small Dog Backpacks Reviewed
So, what are the best small dog backpacks? We have reviewed the best ones for you.
Summary: The Switchbak is the perfect combination of comfort and control of a harness paired with the functionality of a pack. Its best features are two low-profile pockets that can carry small essentials. They close with zippers so that treats don’t fall out. This small dog backpack has two leash attachment points – one in the back and one on the chest.
Best use: Best for dogs who tend to wiggle out of harnesses and backpacks and those who tend to pull on leashes.
Sizes available: 4 sizes – XS, S, M, L/XL
Handle: One low-profile padded handle when your dog needs help getting over obstacles.
Number of pockets: 2
Adjustable: 5 adjustment points
Leash Attachment Point: 2 leash attachment points – chest and back
- Foam padded for comfort
- Has tonal reflective accents for better visibility
- Five adjustment points
- Has an integrated point for The Beacon
- Foldable and expandable
- Sizing inconsistencies
- Might be a little too tight for a water bottle
Review: While most users loved it, sizing is a bit of a hit or miss. Some dogs didn’t fit any of the offered sizes despite the five adjustment points. Others, meanwhile, found that it fit perfectly.
Summary: The IDOMIK Dog backpack is made of great durable and breathable nylon and oxford material. Your dog will stay cool while wearing this backpack. There is a main pocket at the back that features a large frog face. It has a large zipper closure, roomy enough to fit dog snacks, collapsible bowls, and a small water bottle.
Best use: Ideal for small dogs who often go out to the city to run errands with their person.
Sizes available: 2 sizes – S, M
Handle: No handle
Number of pockets: 1
Adjustable: 1 adjustable buckle
Leash Attachment Point: 2 – Double D rings on the top, one on the bottom.
- Cute design
- Roomy pocket
- Double D rings for dogs that like to pull
- Eye-catching color
- Quick-release buckle
- Only one pocket
- Only only adjustment point
- Lone pocket stores horizontally
- Only two sizes for small/medium dogs
Review: Pet owners love this adorable small dog backpack. Even though it only has one pocket, it stores plenty of snacks and toys. Plus it is durable and looks great.
Summary: This is an excellent small dog backpack for pups who love a fun adventure. Trails, runs, and hikes have never been this fun, and Rover carries his own weight! It comes with basically anything you would want in a dog backpack — a handle at the back for those tricky spots, two large pockets on the side, two leash attachment points. Plus, it is made of great, durable material.
Best use: Long hikes, Long walks, Road trips, trail runs
Sizes available: 4 sizes – Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large
Handle: 1 – on the back
Number of pockets: 2 large saddle-style pockets
Adjustable: 5 adjustment points
Leash Attachment Point: 2 attachment points – Back and collar
- Lightweight, breathable material
- Two large side pockets
- Four sizes for different size dogs
- Stylish design
- Eye-catching color
- If not adjusted properly, it can cause chafing in dog underarms
- Does not fit a large bottle
Review: Dog owners love how adjustable the backpack is, allowing for a perfect fit on their pets. It’s a favorite for people who go on long treks.
The Best Small Dog Backpack Carriers Reviewed
Here, we have reviewed the best small dog backpack carriers to help you make the right choice.
Summary: Made of breathable and lightweight fabric, this is a very comfortable pet travel carrier you can sling over your shoulder to carry your dog around with you. It has a comfortable hands-free design with compact storage.
Best use: Great for carrying breeds like Minature Pinscher, Chihuahua, Yorkshire Terrier, Pomeranian, Mini poodles, Miniature Schnauzer, Teddy cups, etc. You can even fit a cat in one of the cat backpack.
Sizes available: 3 sizes – Small, medium, large
- Hands-free design
- Breathable and water-resistant fabric
- Comfortable for all small breeds
- Wide chest straps for comfortable wear
- Not ideal for a large person
- Strap no adjustable
- Very small dogs may find it hard to look out the top
Reviews: This small pet backpack is loved by most dog owners. Some felt that their large dogs weren’t very comfortable, so they had to move around a lot till they were comfy.
Summary: A dog carrier bag ideal for small dogs and small cats, the Pawaboo Pet Carrier Backpack is made of high-quality material, and the design is highly detail-oriented. The hooks, zippers, and elastic openings ensure that your dog can fit inside comfortably
Best use: Ideal for carrying small dogs and cats when you go out to run errands or go out for a quick walk in the park or on bike rides.
Sizes available: Small, Medium, Large, Extra large
- Gives pet owners a great laugh
- Comfortable design
- Not all dogs love this
Review: Pet owners love this dog and cat carrier, not just for high usability and great design, but because they doubled over laughing. One customer on Amazon described it as the best purchase she ever made. Another said that their dog fell asleep in it. This dog front carrier is a great buy if you like to baby your pooch.
Summary: This is literally a pet dog carrier to carry your pet in. It is great for small dogs (up to 15 pounds) and gives them more room to breathe than others in the market. Made of breathable mesh side fabric, this dog hiking backpack gives your pet the ability to look at all three open sides of the backpack. This best dog backpack carrier is well ventilated and comes with chest buckles to reduce the dog’s weight on your shoulders.
Best use: For small dogs and cats who like to go out but don’t like to walk.
Sizes available: One size
- Eye-catchy design
- Removable cozy mat design for easy cleaning
- No zip lockers
- No hip strap
Review: This is most commonly used for pet cats, but a decent amount of customers have used it as a small dog backpack as well. Almost all the customers wished it had a hip safety strap and zip lock for extra comfort and safety.
Summary: This is another pet carrier that cat owners most commonly use. But many dog owners also say that their dogs enjoy it too. It has a lot of comfort and security while giving your pet the best outdoor experience. Just like any small dog backpack, it has adjustable padded shoulder straps. It is well ventilated, safe, and convenient.
Best use: For cats and small dogs
Sizes available: One size
- Transparent design
- Well ventilated
- Security leash attached
- Soft mat
- Comes with a collapsable bowl
- Transparent screen not scratchproof
- Pets don’t always love it
Review: Pet owners say it is one of the best backpacks they have ever used. They like the airflow and pet front of the backpack. Plus, they are satisfied that the product can be used as a dog cat carrier and not just for small dogs.
How Much Weight Can a Small Dog Carry in a Backpack?
You want to be 100% sure that your dog is not carrying more than 8 to 10% of its total body weight. In fact, it is probably better to go under than over.
Make sure your dog is ready to wear a backpack in the first place. You do not ever want to put too much weight in your small dog backpack. While it may not affect them in the immediate future, it could have fatal long-term effects on their joints (knees and hips) and back.
What Size Backpack Should I Get for My Small Dog?
Most companies give a well-detailed description of how you should measure your dog so that you can get the ideal size for them. Most of them come in sizes of:
- Small (Minature Pinscher, Chihuahua, Poodle)
- Medium (Beagles, Corgi)
- Large (Labrador or Golden Retriever, Boxer, Pitbull)
- Extra-large (German Shepherd, Saint Bernard).
- The Switchbak combines the comfort and control of a harness with the functionality of a pack; It features 2 low-profile, zippered pockets to carry small everyday essentials.
- This harness is foam padded for comfortable extended wear; The 5 points of adjustment allow you to find the right fit for your dog.
- Features a low-profile padded handle to help your dog over obstacles; The stowable, padded belly straps provide comfort and stability for lifting and while carrying weight.