What Is the Best Car Seat for a Small Dog?
Our Top Pick
This dog seat comes with an adjustable strap and is made with high-quality and comfortable materials.
|Get on Amazon|
This dog car seat is made from steel, making it durable and sturdy, and it has a clip-on safety leash for security.
|Get on Amazon|
With an easy-to-adjust strap system and padded seat, this pet carrier is designed to provide comfort and safety.
|Get on Amazon|
Best for Hyperactive Dogs
This portable car seat comes with a clip-on safety leash that ensures that your pup won’t go anywhere.
|Get on Amazon|
Easy to Store
This small dog seat for vehicles will fit any size car and has a foldable design, making it easy to carry and store.
|Get on Amazon|
Best Bed Combo
This unique product is perfect for long road trips or if you want to bring your dog along with you on vacation.
|Get on Amazon|
With a safety harness, this car seat is perfect for active dogs who need extra support.
|Get on Amazon|
Is Dog Car Seat Safe for Small Dogs?
Yes, the small dog car seat is safe.
A small dog car seat will keep your pet securely in place no matter what happens during travel time – even if you have an accident or have to take evasive action during driving conditions like heavy rainstorms or snowstorms where there is ice on the roads or pavement surface.
What Are the Benefits of Using Small Dog Car Seats?
- Safety. An adequately installed small dog car seat will help keep your canine companion secure, even if they try to wiggle out of their harnesses or get loose. Most pet car booster seats are designed with safety in mind, so they’ll be able to withstand the pressure of even the most energetic pups.
- Comfort. The fabric used in most dog car seats is designed to not rub against the animal’s skin or cause any discomfort. The material is also breathable, which helps keep your pet cool during hot weather pet travels.
- Durable Construction. Most small dog car seats are made from durable materials such as vinyl and nylon, so they can withstand heavy use without tearing apart at the seams like cheaper options may do in just a few months of regular use by your pet.
- Multiple Pet Travels. If you have multiple pets that need to travel with you, having multiple small dog car seats could benefit them all. You can place each animal in its seat so that they feel comfortable at all times and don’t have to worry about being crowded out or having someone else’s scent around them during the trip.
The Best Small Dog Car Seats Reviewed
There are many small dog car seat models available, so choosing the best for your dog can be difficult. Here, we review the seven best popular car seats for small dogs.
Summary: Henkelion is one of the best car seats for your small dog. This is a perfect vehicle accessory for any dog, especially if you have a small breed. The Henkelion is made of high-quality and durable material that makes it last longer.
The car seat is lightweight and easy to install and remove, making it easy to use. This front seat kennel has been tested by experts to ensure its safety and durability.
Features: Waterproof, adjustable belt, breathable material
Sizes Available: 15″ x 15″ x 10″
Weight Capacity: 30lbs
- Easy to install and take off
- The fabric is breathable and water resistant
- Adjustable seatbelt
- It can be folded for easy storage
- Durable and safe
- Ergonomic for both humans and pet dogs
- Available in only one size
Review: With over 8,000 positive reviews, pet parents love this Dog Car Seat. They say it’s easy to put together and install, and their dogs love riding in it. Some even say it’s helped their dog with car sickness and are happy their dogs will be safe from airbag impact during a crash.
Summary: The Marslabo dog booster seat is an excellent option for those who need to travel with their pet but don’t want to spend a small fortune on a fancy pet carrier or crate. This metal dog car booster seat is designed to fit right in your vehicle’s backseat and can serve as an alternative to other seats made specifically for pets.
This pet car seat features a padded bottom that will keep your furry friend comfortable during the ride. It also comes with a safety leash that can be clipped onto the provided strong metal buckle, so there is no need to worry about your pet escaping the vehicle.
Features: Double-layer oxford, metal frame, metal buckle, adjustable design
Sizes Available: 13″ x 16″ x 9″
Weight Capacity: Pets up to 30 lbs
- Solid and high-quality construction
- Easy to install, use, and store
- Provides comfort and safety
- Comes with a storage pocket for pet gears
- Has a convenient adjustable strap
Can be used for medium dogs too
- Not suitable for large dogs like Labradors or German Shepherds
Review: Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon, small dog owners love this high-back car seat. They say it’s sturdy and easy to use, and their pup loves it. The safety seat has a metallic frame plus a mesh fabric car seat cover to keep your dog safe and comfortable.
Summary: The PetSafe Happy Ride Easy to Adjust Strap Car Seat is a simple but effective way to keep your doggie safe and secure in the car. The adjustable harness makes it easy to get the right fit for your dog. The seat belt can be adjusted with one hand and then tightened with a simple pull on the strap at the back of the seat.
There are three different sizes available, from small (for dogs up to 10 lbs) to extra large (for dogs up to 25 lbs). The design also makes this seat suitable for cats.
Features: Deluxe fleece liner, polyester oxford shell, machine washable liner, safety tether
Sizes Available: 12″ x 8″ x 14″
Weight Capacity: 5 kilograms
- Easy installation with universal straps
- Comfortable padded seat
- Adjustable shoulder strap for added safety
- Durable: stands up to wear and tears
- The seat is covered with a soft, plush fabric
- Relatively small depth
Review: With over 10,000 happy buyers on Amazon, this hammock-styled dog bed is worth the investment. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Dog parents say it’s sturdy and well-made, and their small and medium-sized dogs love riding in it.
Summary: This Swihelp portable car seat is the ultimate in dog safety. It’s a portable car seat that can be used as a dog booster seat or carrier, with a safety strap that attaches to your vehicle’s headrest, keeping your furry friend safe and secure.
The sturdy PVC frame maintains structural integrity all the time, ensuring that your pet is safe and secure. It is one of the best dog car seats that can be used in trucks or cars and on airplanes.
Features: Waterproof, 600D oxford material, PVC mesh net, antirust D ring
Sizes Available: 40 x 32 x 24 cm
Weight Capacity: 6 kilograms
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to install in your car
- It comes with a clip-on safety leash
- Adjustable PVC support pipe
- Easy to clean
- May not fit properly if your car’s seat belt buckles are too close or far apart
Review: Dog parents say their pets love this portable travel carrier. They say this bucket seat is comfortable and safe when their pets travel in it. They also like how easy it is to set up and take down when needed.
Summary: BYGD breathable and foldable car seat is designed for your pet; it is made with premium quality material. The fabric is breathable, soft, and comfortable. It can fit any size car and has a foldable design, making it easy to carry and store.
The seat belt can be adjusted according to your need. It has a convenient handle that allows you to carry your dog easily while traveling.
Features: Adjustable buckle design, strong anti-aging webbing, oxford cloth
Sizes Available: 15.7″ x 11.8″ x 9.8″
Weight Capacity: N/A
- Lightweight design
- Foldable design
- The seatbelt guide secures your dog in the car seat
- It comes in three different colors
- Easy to install dog harness
- Designed only for smaller dogs
Review: Pet parents love this foldable car seat for small dogs. They say the pet bed is the best option for anyone who wants to travel safely and comfortably with their fur babies.
Summary: BurgeonNest is a super-comfortable way to transport your dog; it’s a fully detachable and washable dog car seat. It is designed to provide maximum comfort for your dog in the car during long journeys.
The BurgeonNest is ideal for small dogs that weigh 25 lbs or less. The dog car seat has a soft interior with high-density foam padding, providing your small pup extra support while sitting in the BurgeonNest.
Features: Non-slip rubber bottom, sturdy oxford fabric, double stitches
Sizes Available: 19.68″ x 21.65″ x 9.84″
Weight Capacity: 25lbs
- Fully washable and detachable
- It comes with an adjustable headrest
- Waterproof and stain resistant
- Multiple colors available — black and blue
- Adjustable to fit your dog or cat
- No tools are required for installation
- Only one size is available; not suitable for larger dogs
Review: Rated 4.6 stars out of 5 on Amazon, this dog carrier is many pet parents’ favorite. They say it’s sturdy, comfortable, and easy to install — and their small dogs love riding in it.
Summary: This is the perfect solution for your small pets. It keeps your pet safe and secure while traveling in the car and is easy to install and use. The ROODO dog booster seat has adjustable straps that fit comfortably around your dog’s body.
It also has a leash attachment so you can keep your pet close to you while driving. The design allows it to fit any size dog, from small to large breeds. The booster seat is very easy to install in your car. All you need to do is attach it to the seatbelt on one side of your car and then attach it to the other.
Features: Collapsible metal frame, built-in seat belt, machine washable cover, height adjustable sling
Sizes Available: 17.5″ x13″ x 8.5″
Weight Capacity: 20 pounds
- Adjustable harness
- Quick release buckles
- Comfy seat belt strap
- Removable and machine washable
- It comes with an easy-to-use buckle
- No significant cons
Review: With a global rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars, this car seat is loved by many. Pet parents say the ROOFOLD booster seat is sturdy, well-built, and easy to install. It’s also comfortable for the pet and easy to clean.
What Should I Look for in a Small Dog Car Seat?
When shopping for the best small dog car seat, you need to consider the following features:
- Size. First, consider the dog’s size. The car seat needs to be small enough to keep the dog well-positioned, yet big enough to allow comfort. Getting a large dog car seat for a small dog is unsafe and not space efficient.
- Comfort. Your pet should be able to sit and lie down comfortably in the car seat. If they can’t, it’s probably not going to be comfortable for them when you’re driving around town with them in tow.
- Material. Consider a model that is made of nylon or mesh. Nylon is more durable and will last longer than mesh, but the mesh is easier to clean and dry quickly after getting wet.
- Adjustable Harness System. Look for an adjustable harness system that will fit snugly around their body, so they don’t have extra room to move around.
Where Should Small Dogs Sit in the Car?
Small dogs should sit in a crate or carrier behind your seat, where they will be safe and secure. The carrier should have openings on two sides so you can reach and pet your dog easily.
If you don’t have a crate or carrier, you can use a dog seat belt harness instead. The harness should fit snugly so the dog cannot move around too much while driving.
How do You Secure a Small Dog in a Car?
There are several ways to position your small dog in a car to be comfortable and safe. Here are some tips:
Use a harness instead of a dog’s collar. Small dogs can get tangled in their collars if they’re not secured properly. A harness will help secure them more safely in place.
Place the dog seatbelt across the chest and behind the back rather than across the neck. This will prevent injury to their neck or trachea if something happens during travel time.
Don’t restrain them too tightly with the seatbelt; make sure there’s enough room for them to wiggle free so that they don’t get injured by getting caught on something else inside the vehicle like a door handle or window button.
Make sure there’s nothing within reach of your dog that could cause them harm while traveling, such as loose wires or items that could fall off shelves or surfaces in the vehicle.