What Is the Best Small Dog House?
- Best Overall Small Dog House: Petmate Small Aspen Pet Outdoor Dog House
This small, two-piece dog house does everything a small dog house needs to do and does it well.
- Best Plastic Small Dog House: ZENY Water Resistant Plastic Dog House
Made of hollow plastic that traps air and provides some insulation, this small dog house is UV-resistant and easy to clean and assemble.
- Best Multi-Purpose Small Dog House: Ferplast DogVilla Dog House Ideal for Small Dog Breeds
This dog house features a wall that can be folded down into a porch for better ventilation and to offer your pet more room.
- Best Easy-Assembly Small Dog House: Petsfit No Tools Required Folding Indoor Dog House
This folding dog house can be stored easily as it is foldable and does not require tools for assembling.
- Best Small Dog House for All Seasons: MidWest Homes for Pets Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House
This natural wood cabin-style dog house is available with an insulation kit to make it perfect for every season.
- Best Outdoor Small Dog House: Petmate Precision Extreme Outback Small Log Cabin Dog House
Featuring an asphalt roof, raised floor, and solid wood construction, this house is made to withstand the elements.
- Most Affordable Small Dog House: Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed Warm Cave Nest for Small Dogs
Priced at just above $30.00, this dog house for small-breed dogs is the most affordable on this list.
- Petmate Small Aspen Pet Outdoor Doghouse offers traditional transport carriers, wire training, and playpen kennels
- The roof guard's rim is extended, and an elevated interior floor help keeps your pet dry. Also great for strays and outdoor cats for pets that weigh up to 15 pounds.
- The home is assembled using snap latches. No tools are required
What are the Benefits of a Small Dog House?
The small dog house comes with several benefits. Here are some of them:
- Protection. Providing a place to retreat during cold weather, rain, or when wild animals are nearby is essential to the safety of your small dog.
- Decoration. An attractive small dog house can provide a good deal of decor for your yard. The small size can add a cute piece to your backyard view.
The Best Small Dog Houses Reviewed
Small dog houses are cute and functional. Here are some of the best models reviewed, so you can find the right small dog house for your canine friend.
Summary: The assembly of this dog house is simple, only requiring the top and bottom halves to be snapped together. The single dog door design makes it so you can face the door away from the wind to offer your pet more protection from the elements.
A rear vent offers ample airflow to provide fresh air and keep the interior dry. An extended roof rim around the middle of the house helps to keep water away from the house and keep the interior dry.
Features: Two-piece assembly; Extended roof rim; Single dog door
Dimension: 26.5” x 18” x 16.5”
- Extended roof rim
- Raised floor
- Heavily ventilated
- Very easy assembly
- Only available for small pets
Review: Numerous buyers were so happy with this dog house they purchased a second one. These buyers were pleased with the construction quality, the ease of assembly, and the durability of the house while saying it is one of the best dog houses they have ever had.
The only repeating complaint about this dog house is the pieces would not snap together.
Summary: The high-quality construction of this dog house provides a comfortable and superior activity space for your pets. The sloped roof drains water away from the entrance, and the raised floor keeps pets away from dirt and moisture.
This plastic dog house features dual air vents to keep the interior dry and fresh. The pet dog house is easy to assemble, and all required accessories are included.
Best For: Small and medium dogs
Features: Raised floor; Sloping roof; Dual air vents; Waterproof
Dimension: 27″D x 25.6″W x 27″H
- Easy to assemble
- Raised floor
- Well ventilated
- Only suitable for small and medium dogs
Review: Most dog owners who purchased this house were impressed. They were happy with everything from the price to the build and said it was easy to put together.
The most common complaint, however, was regarding the assembly. Consumers said the instructions were not included, and the process was problematic for them.
Summary: The tough thermoplastic resin of this dog house makes it a great choice for outdoor use. The easy assembly can be completed in minutes and requires no tools. It features a wall that can fold down to create a porch for your pet that offers them better ventilation and a bit more room to relax.
The floor is raised off the ground and is made to drain moisture away from your pet once they are inside. All in all, this is an excellent dog house.
Features: Raised floor; Slanted roof; Fold out porch; Interior drainage system
Dimension: 28.75” x 23.25” x 20.9”
- Well ventilated
- Fold out porch
- Interior drainage system
- UV resistant and waterproof
- Multiple customers complained the pieces would not line up when they tried to assemble it
Review: Most customers who bought this dog house were happy with the quality, and their pets seemed to enjoy it as well. These buyers said it was everything they expected it to be and was “absolutely worth the price.”
The most common complaint was from people who received a damaged dog house in the mail.
Summary: The ability to fold flat makes this one of the easiest dog houses to store when not in use. It can be assembled without tools and features a raised floor and a hinged roof for cleaning and ventilation.
The solid fir wood is coated with an eco-friendly varnish to protect it from exposure but can be painted over to customize the dog house. It is available in two sizes to fit dogs up to 50 pounds.
Features: Foldable; Ventilated, and elevated floor
Dimension: 30”L x 21”W x 24.5”H
Material: Fir wood
- Foldable for easy storage
- Wooden construction
- Protected with eco-friendly varnish
- Ventilated and elevated floor
- The roof easily opens for cleaning
- Roof is not slanted
Review: Reviews on Amazon were largely positive, with over 91% leaving four and five-star reviews, These people say it is “worth the money,” and numerous cat owners said it makes for a great litter box retreat.
Only 5% of ratings were negative, and the most common thread was the quality of the materials. These consumers said there were “gaps everywhere,” and the page on Amazon was “misleading.”
Summary: The foldable design of this dog house makes it perfect for storing. It features a slanted roof and raised floor to keep pets warm and dry.
It is available in sizes suitable for dogs from 20- 50 pounds. As a bonus, there is an available insulation kit that you can purchase to make the dog house warm in cold weather for your dog.
Features: Insulation kit; Elevated floor; Wooden sides; No tool assembly
Dimension: 21.74L x 33.59W x 25.28H
- Available with an insulation kit
- Sizes range from small to large
- Requires no tools to put together
- Adjustable feet
- Water-resistant stained wood and asphalt roof
- A bit pricey
Review: Many consumers rated this product highly and said the assembly was a breeze. These customers were also happy with the one-piece floor and the adjustable feet that allowed them to place the house on uneven ground.
Unhappy buyers were quick to complain about the quality of the materials and said they would not trust it with heavier animals.
Summary: With solid wood construction, this outdoor wooden dog house is made to be both appealing and practical. The slanted asphalt roof helps to keep rainwater away from the opening and provides a weatherproof seal.
This outdoor dog kennel features a raised floor to keep pets off the ground and away from dirt and moisture. It is held together by stainless steel hardware to ensure long-lasting protection from the elements.
Features: Stainless steel hardware; Slanted asphalt roof; Raised floor; Easy 3-step assembly
Dimension: 35.2″ x 25.4″ x 5.1″
Material: Solid wood
- Raised floor
- Slanted roof
- Solid wood construction
- Stainless steel hardware
- 3 step assembly
Review: Most customer reviews expressed satisfaction with this pet product. Buyers were happy with the appearance as well as the build quality and say their pets love to spend time inside the house.
The most common complaint seemed to come from people who received a damaged dog house or those who were unimpressed with the quality of the wood.
Summary: Made from a durable polyester fabric, this pet house uses self-warming fabric to provide insulation for your pet. An anti-skid bottom keeps the dog house in place. The roof can be removed to make disassembly a breeze.
There is an included dog bed that is removable to provide an easier cleaning experience. It is cushioned with the elastic sponge and is best suited for pets under 18 pounds.
Features: Easy assembly; Removable roof; Removable dog bed
Dimension: 16″L x 15″W x 16”H
- Self-warming fabric
- Detachable top
- No tool assembly
- Detachable pet bed
- Anti-skid bottom
- Not leak-proof
Review: Most satisfied reviews mentioned the appearance and quality of the fabric as things they liked about this dog house. They said it made for a great cat house, but even positive reviews said they were unsure about the bottom. It is prone to tearing, according to user reviews.
Those who were dissatisfied with it were primarily upset that it was not as large as they had thought, with a few saying their 11 lbs chihuahua or Shih Tzu had trouble fitting comfortably inside the house.
What Should I Look for in a Small Dog House?
Here are some of the factors you need to consider when shopping for a small dog house:
- Material. The material you choose will largely depend on whether or not the house will primarily be inside or outside. Although indoor outdoor dog houses do exist, some materials are better suited to face the elements than decorative end tables. A wooden pet house, for instance, can serve a great purpose indoors and outdoors as it is durable and visually appealing, but an ECOFLEX dog house is best suited for the outdoors due to its high durability.
- Floor. Removable floors are common in x-large dog crates but not often in small pet kennels. A removable floor is easier to clean than a one-piece, built-in floor, however, a built-in floor will provide more stability. A raised floor is common in pet shelters meant for the outdoors as well. This is a feature of weather-resistant dog houses and helps to keep pets off the ground and away from dirt and moisture.
- Roof. A high-quality outdoor dog house will likely have asphalt shingles for a roof. Small dog houses do not always have this feature, though. Instead, they may substitute a plastic roof or a flat wooden roof. Whatever the material, ensure it fits the house appropriately and does not leak or provide a draft.
- Insulation. This can be added to an existing dog house, but a DIY insulation kit can be very handy in the cold months. If you are looking to add insulation to a dog house, keep in mind it may reduce the size of the interior, so be sure to measure correctly to avoid making the inside of the house too small for your pet.
- Size. You don’t want a large dog house unless you have a big dog. Dog homes should be sized appropriately to the dog. A dog should be able to stand, sit, and lay down comfortably inside a kennel without bumping into the sides, and if they are outdoors often, room for the water bowl and a dog bed may also be appropriate.