Table of Contents
Solid Gold Cat Food Summary
- Most Versatile Solid Gold Cat Food: Solid Gold Winged Tiger Holistic Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food for Adult & Senior Cat
With a wide range of flavor options and nutritional choices, this is among the most versatile product by the brand.
- Most Nutritious Solid Gold Cat Food: Solid Gold Indigo Moon Grain Free & Gluten Free High Protein Holistic Dry Cat Food for All Life Stages
This cat food has no harmful ingredients such as additives or fillers and is considered among the most nutritious cat food offered by the brand.
- Most Unique Solid Gold Cat Food: Solid Gold Five Oceans Wet Cat Food
This unique cat food contains no gluten and grains while formulated with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Best Value-For-Money Solid Gold Cat Food: Solid Gold Mousse Pate Wet Cat Food
This pocket-friendly cat food is a delicious treat that your cat will surely love as it offers a combination of taste and nutrition.
- Best Solid Gold Cat Food For Indoor Cats: Solid Gold Let’s Stay In Holistic Grain and Gluten-Free Dry Indoor Cat Food
Holistic cat food that is grain-free and gluten-free and features a special recipe that caters to the unique needs of indoor cats.
What is Solid Gold Cat Food?
Solid Gold Cat Food is a pet food brand dedicated to making high-quality food for pets.
After noticing a significant difference between German dogs and the pet dogs from the USA, Sissy Harrington-McGill founded Solid Gold Pet Food. She was a competitive Great Dane handler and was surprised to see that the Danes of Europe lived three to four years longer than those from the States. She concluded that the cause for this was a difference in their diet.
Through this observation, Sissy worked to bring German dog food to the USA, and the original Solid Gold formula was named Hund-N-Flocken, a German name translating to “dog flakes.”
Following its launch in the 1970s, the brand became among the first to use a holistic label by incorporating what the company calls “carefully curated superfoods”. The company expanded rapidly and became a prominent name within 50 years of its history.
The company was recently acquired by the Health & Happiness Group International Holding Ltd. (H&H Group). This is the brand’s first venture in the global pet food market.
Where is Solid Gold Cat Food Made?
Solid Gold Cat Food has revealed that they source their ingredients from all over the world. This includes pollock from Alaska, duck from France, and venison from Australia. However, the brand does not get any of its ingredients from China.
The US headquarters of the company is in St Louis but they don’t manufacture any of their products. Despite that, the company is strict about the manufacturing process and keeps a vigilant eye on sourcing and production.
Solid Gold’s dry cat food is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods in the United States. The wet foods are made in Thailand.
How is Solid Gold Cat Food Made?
Solid Gold Cat Food is made with carefully selected and nutritious ingredients. The cat food is not exceptional when it comes to nutrition but is definitely of high quality.
Their dry food section is high in protein and low in carbs. In contrast to other kibbles, Solid Gold Cat Food gives more emphasis to animal protein, and the first ingredient is always meat. The included grains (pearled barley, brown rice) are easily digestible.
The Solid Gold wet food is also good and contains all major supplements that one can expect from them. The formulas are rounded with vitamin E, A, and B12 supplements, choline chloride, and minerals like calcium and potassium chloride. Plus, the wet recipes are free from carrageenan.
Solid Gold Cat Food is mid-priced and of above-average quality. The brand is not only reliable but also offers a range of options.
Is Solid Gold Cat Food Good for Cats?
Yes, Solid Gold Cat Food is good.
Solid Gold Cat Food has a rich nutrient content, significant levels of probiotics, and important ingredients like taurine that your cat needs. Additionally, it does not contain preservatives or meat by-products.
The brand is also among the most popular on online platforms such as Amazon and Chewy. Solid Gold Cat Food improves the immune system, boosts gut health, makes cat litter manageable, and controls hairballs in adult cats.
Solid Gold Cat Food Formulas Reviewed
There are different Solid Gold Cat Food options. Here we take a look at some of the brand’s best-selling products.
Summary: This cat food features a formula that is gluten-free and provides balanced nutrition to your cat. If your cat has a large appetite, this cat food is perfect for them. It is made with premium-grade quail, which is a lean protein. It also contains the signature superfoods that the brand is known for. That includes omega fatty acids which help to improve your cat’s gut health and build immunity leading to a more playful kitty.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adults and seniors; Sensitive stomach
- Ideal for less active cats
- Supports muscle growth and metabolism
- Features essential amino acids
- Made with superior ingredients
- Great for cats with allergy problems
- The flavor might not suit some cats
- Quail: This is a great lean protein and can help build strong muscles in your cat. This gives them agility and the energy to play each day.
- Ocean Fish Meal: This adds fishy proteins to the food and also contains high-quality amino acids that build your cat’s immunity.
- Chicken Meal: While this is a great source of protein, it is not a favorable ingredient, according to several vets in the field.
- Chicken Fat: Preserved with mixed tocopherols, fat helps provide a sustained source of energy and also keeps your cat warm on cold days.
Review: This cat food is great for your feline friend, especially if they have not been very active lately. It provides the required nutrition that your cat needs.
Solid Gold Indigo Moon Grain Free & Gluten Free High Protein Holistic Dry Cat Food for All Life Stages
Summary: This cat food features a high-protein formulation as it is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients along with other healthy fats and vitamins. All this is combined with a flavor profile that most cats love. The product is made with cage-free, all-natural chicken that is blended together with nutrient-packed egg. These ingredients are further combined with the brand’s unique blend of functional superfoods. This helps build gut health and offers overall immune support.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: All age groups; Grain-free and gluten-free
- Grain and gluten-free dry cat food
- Contains 20 superfoods like carrots, pumpkin, kelp, and lentils
- Available in chicken and Alaskan Pollock flavors
- Contains monounsaturated fats and vitamin C
- No meat by-product meal
- Less nutritious than canned cat food
- Might have less quantity of DHA (fatty acids)
- Chicken: This is one of the best and most commonly used sources of nutritious and lean animal protein.
- Eggs: An excellent source of animal protein and other health-boosting nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and healthy fatty acids.
- Blueberries: This is a great antioxidant and a rich source of various vitamins and minerals. It also contains fiber which improves digestion.
- Cranberries: This is another source of antioxidants and can provide the required energy to your cat.
Review: This dry cat food offers a delicious flavor that cats love. It does, however, contain a few ingredients that can raise questions.
Summary: This holistic cat food is made using only natural ingredients that are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. The protein is sourced from the ocean as it combines tuna with a delicious gravy. The product is not only grain-free and gluten-free, but it is also nutritionally complete and provides a balanced meal to your cat and growing kitten. It can also be served as an accompaniment along with dry food or simply as a treat.
Type: Wet cat food
Best for: Kitten and Adult
- Does not contain whole grain
- Serve as a meal compliment or topper
- Great source of added hydration
- Crafted for cats of all life stages
- High in flavor
- There are more affordable options available
- Contains canola oil (a controversial ingredient)
- Tuna: A great source of protein, tuna also contains fatty acids and fish oils that boost your cat’s immunity.
- Canola Oil: This helps your cat by providing the essential nutrient linoleic acid to their diet. However, this ingredient is frowned upon by some vets.
- Carrots: This is a great source of fiber and also improves eyesight. It helps with digestion and also provides various vitamins and minerals.
Review: This cat food offers five different flavors to keep your cat occupied during meal time. Additionally, it contains no corn, wheat, or soy.
Summary: This cat food is not only nutritious, but it is also filling. It does not contain any grain or gluten and therefore helps to improve your cat’s overall health. Each recipe is formulated with goat milk that is considered an easy-to-absorb and easy-to-digest calcium source. It also contains vitamin B which helps to develop stronger bones in your cat. This cat food helps keep your cat hydrated with its high water content (78% moisture).
Type: Wet cat food
Best for: Kitten and Adult
- Gluten-free recipe
- Made with real meat and seafood
- Easily digestible source of nutrients
- Does not contain corn, wheat, and soy
- No artificial preservatives
- The product is expensive in contrast to other brands
- Portion sizes might be small for some cats
- Salmon: Excellent source of protein that is also rich in healthy omega-fatty acids.
- Goat Milk: Palatable and easily digestible source of micronutrients and probiotics (healthy gut bacteria).
- Potatoes: This is a great source of carbohydrates and therefore provides energy to your cat. However, not all cats like this ingredient, and some may be sensitive to it.
- Pea Protein: A significant source of plant-based protein, easily digestible carbohydrates, and dietary fiber.
Review: This cat food is available in a variety of flavors and pack sizes. It offers a delicious meal for all cats.
Summary: This cat food is made using cage-free and all-natural chicken. It also contains lentils which are a great source of protein and fiber. It also contains a wide range of superfoods that not only offer a health boost but also help to control hairballs. This cat food is free from grains and gluten but contains probiotics and rich omegas for improved gut health. This also helps by offering immunity support. It is great for indoor cats as it caters to their nutritional needs.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Gluten-free
- Crafted specifically for indoor cats
- Contains probiotics for sensitive stomachs
- 100% real chicken as the first ingredient
- Contains superfoods like pumpkin and broccoli
- Helps maintain optimal digestive and gut health
- Not suitable for kittens and old cats
- Contains a significant amount of plants
- Chicken: Chicken is a great source of lean protein, and most cats like its taste
- Lentils: This adds plant-based proteins and also serves as a source of healthy dietary fiber and easily digestible carbs.
- Dried Chicory Root: This is considered a superfood and offers prebiotics to your cat’s diet. It improves digestion and boosts immunity.
- Taurine: An essential amino acid that should be present in all cat foods as cats cannot make it on their own.
- Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product: This is a naturally occurring organism that helps improve the health of your cat’s digestive tract.
- Salmon Oil: This helps with improved immune function, cardiovascular care, better vision, and healthy skin for your cat.
Review: This cat food is great for adult cats and offers the nutritional requirements for their bodies. It is also enriched with several beneficial ingredients.
What Cat Food Formulas does Solid Gold Make?
Solid Gold Cat Food has dozens of different formulas classified in various collections. Here is an in-depth list of the brand’s lines and products.
- Solid Gold Fit As A Fiddle
- Solid Gold Five Oceans
- Solid Gold Flavorful Feast
- Solid Gold Holistic Delights
- Solid Gold Indigo Moon
- Indigo Moon High-Protein with Chicken & Eggs
- Indigo Moon High-Protein with Alaskan Pollock & Eggs
- Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken
- Solid Gold Let’s Stay In
- Let’s Stay In Indoor Cat Chicken, Lentil & Apple Recipe
- Let’s Stay In Indoor Cat Salmon, Lentil & Apple Recipe
- Solid Gold Purrfect Pairings
- Solid Gold SeaMeal
- Solid Gold Touch of Heaven
- Solid Gold Triple Layer
- Solid Gold Tropical Blendz
- Solid Gold Wholesome Selects
- Solid Gold Winged Tiger
- Solid Gold Bone Broth
- Bone Broth Meal Topper with Salmon Shreds
- Bone Broth Meal Topper with Tuna Shreds
- Bone Broth Meal Topper with Chicken Shreds
- Solid Gold D-Zyme + Probiotics Supplements
- Solid Gold Berry Balance Supplements
- Berry Balance Powder with Cranberry & Blueberry
- Berry Balance Chews with Cranberry & Blueberry
Has Solid Gold Cat Food Been Recalled?
Yes, Solid Gold Cat Food has a recall history.
Back in 2012, a few varieties of Solid Gold dog food were recalled after Salmonella was discovered in their Gaston, South Carolina facility.
In 2018, a lawsuit was filed by various pet parents who claimed that the company failed to disclose any “heavy metals, chemicals, and/or toxins” in its pet food. Independent testing proved that Solid Gold Cat Food did contain heavy metals and other toxins including BPA.
However, it was also established that the levels of these toxins were within the levels considered tolerable according to the FDA.
Is Solid Gold Cat Food Worth it?
Yes, Solid Gold Cat Food is worth it.
You can expect holistic pet food for your cat that is filled with natural flavors and rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It contains a high percentage of crude protein, probiotics, and amino acids and limited levels of carbs.
Overall, Solid Gold Cat Food is a great choice for your feline friend. However, it is recommended to understand your cat’s nutritional needs by consulting a vet.