Table of Contents
Stella and Chewy Cat Food Summary
- Best Overall Stella & Chewy Cat Food: Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Cat Food
Grain and gluten-free freeze-dried Stella and Chewy Cat Food in morsel form with a single protein source.
- Best Stella & Chewy Cat Food for Digestive Health: Stella & Chewy’s Stella’s Solutions Freeze-Dried Cat Food With Digestive Boost
Fortified with probiotics, prebiotics, and enzymes, this Stella and Chewy Cat Food supports healthy digestion.
- Best Stella & Chewy Cat Food Meal Additive: Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Marie’s Magical Dinner Dust for Cats
Delicious, freeze-dried Stella and Chewy Cat Food topper featuring wild-caught salmon and cage-free chicken.
What is Stella & Chewy Cat Food?
Stella & Chewy Cat Food is a pet food brand that specializes in natural meals made from premium quality and raw ingredients. The brand was founded in 2003 in a small Brooklyn apartment and is now based in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.
Where is Stella & Chewy Cat Food Made?
Stella and Chewy Cat Food is made in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Oak Creek is a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
How is Stella & Chewy Cat Food Made?
Stella & Chewy Cat Food uses only responsibly sourced ingredients like grass-fed beef, cage-free chicken, wild-caught fish, and farm-raised livestock. They also use 100% organic fruits and veggies to provide complete nutrition.
The recipes are made with raw, natural meat, poultry, or fish, without added hormones, antibiotics, and artificial preservatives. Their production process is rather opaque, however, and their suppliers are unnamed.
Is Stella & Chewy Cat Food Good for Cats?
Yes, Stella & Chewy Cat Food is good.
Stella and Chewy Cat Food prioritizes fresh and raw ingredients produced without hormones or antibiotics, meaning the food they put on the shelf is nutritious and healthy.
The wild or nearly wild animals they use for their products are rich in micronutrients and protein, and the fruits and vegetables they use are grown without pesticides, so there will be no long-term effects from pesticide residue.
Stella & Chewy Cat Food Formulas Reviewed
There are different Stella and Chewy Cat Food recipes for cats. To help owners pick the right formula for their pets, we have reviewed some of the brand’s best-selling food options.
Summary: This freeze-dried cat food is made with a single protein source and contains as much as 98% of real meat, organs, and bones. It is enriched with sources of fatty acids, probiotics, and fiber. It comes in six flavors (chicken, turkey, salmon & cod, salmon & chicken, rabbit, cage-free duck). It is made to provide complete nutrition and can be used as a food on its own or as an addition.
Type: Freeze-dried cat food
Best for: Adult cats
- Made with 98% chicken, organ, and bone
- Healthy raw diet in the form of morsels
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Comes in an easy-open, resealable bag
- No added fillers and artificial preservatives
- Expensive price tag
Ingredient Analysis: The first three ingredients in the chicken dinner morsels are chicken, chicken liver, and chicken gizzard. All of which are excellent sources of protein and minerals. The meats are ground with bone. The vitamin profile in this Stella and Chewy Cat Food is completed with vitamin D3, vitamin B12, and vitamin E supplements. Pumpkin seeds provide essential fatty acids, and there are probiotic strains such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus coagulans, Bifidobacterium longum, and Pediococcus acidilactici.
Review: This Stella and Chewy Cat Food has over 6,000 reviews on Amazon, and 71% of them rate it 5-stars. They are pleased with the updated ingredients that do not include vegetables and claim their cats enjoy the food. Critical reviews are displeased with the price, and some state the food had made their cat ill.
Summary: This food is meant to add to an existing meal to boost the nutritional value. These mixers are made with healthy ingredients and fortified with probiotics, natural dietary fiber, and digestive enzymes. Overall, the formula supports healthy and easy digestion and is suitable for adult cats of all breeds. The mixer is delicious, and even picky eaters like it.
Best for: Adult cats
- Grain-free with cage-free poultry
- Optimal crude protein, crude fat, and crude fiber levels
- With digestive enzymes, probiotics & prebiotics
- Has L-carnitine for a healthy metabolism
- No fillers and artificial preservatives
- Expensive price tag
- Temporarily out of stock at several large retailers
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken, chicken liver, and pumpkin are the first three ingredients meaning the Stella and Chewy Cat Food meets the needs of a true carnivore. It also has natural prebiotics like dandelion, pineapple stem, dried kelp, and dried chicory root. Probiotics are included by adding dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, and dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product.
Review: Nearly 80% of reviews give this Stella and Chewy Cat Food a 5-star rating. Many of the top reviews note their finicky eater is pleased with this food and that this food is the best food available for digestive issues. Some lower-rated reviews were disappointed it did not help with their cat’s IBD or GI tract issues, though. The most common critique is about the size of the bag.
Summary: This meal topper is made of 95% meat, organ, and ground bones. It is formulated to add nutrition and taste to a meal while also promoting better texture and smell. It aids in keeping teeth healthy and boosts the cat’s immune system. The topper comes in two delicious flavors – grain-free chicken recipe and wild-caught salmon & cage-free chicken recipe.
Best for: Cats of all life stages
- Delicious and nutrient-dense powder
- Grain-free and gluten-free formula
- Can help provide relief from allergies
- Supports clean teeth and healthy gums
- Easy-to-use package with a cap
- Expensive price tag
- Only available in small packages
Ingredient Analysis: Salmon with ground bone, chicken with ground bone, chicken liver, and chicken gizzard as used as the first ingredients, and this is an excellent source of required nutrition for a carnivore. Other ingredients in the Stella and Chewy Cat Food are taurine for added amino acids, tocopherols for preservatives, and dried probiotics for digestion support. The formula is rich in vitamins and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, choline chloride, vitamin A, zinc, folic acid, and vitamin B12 supplements.
Review: Most of the 384 five-star reviews are happy with this Stella and Chewy Cat Food. Most of them actually state their picky eater will finally eat if this is used, and some even say their dogs enjoy it as well. Nearly 10% of reviews, however, are critical. The majority of the one and two-star reviews are simply stating their cat will not eat the food.
What Cat Food Formulas does Stella and Chewy Make?
Stella and Chewy goes beyond regular dry cat food and wet food by offering raw, freeze-dried, and frozen formulas that mimic the cat’s natural diet. Here is a list of the brand’s lines and products:
- Stella and Chewy Carnivore Cravings
- Stella and Chewy Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Morsels
- Stella and Chewy Frozen Raw Dinner Morsels
- Stella and Chewy Marie’s Magical Dinner Dust
- Stella and Chewy Grain-Free Marvelous Morsels
- Stella and Chewy Grain-Free Purrfect Pate
- Stella and Chewy Raw Blend Kibble
- Stella & Chewy Cage-Free Recipe
- Stella & Chewy Wild-Caught Recipe
- Stella and Chewy Raw-Coated Kibble
- Stella and Chewy Stella’s Selects
- Stella & Chewy Cage-Free Chicken Recipe
- Stella & Chewy Cage-Free Turkey Recipe
- Cats naturally crave meat, much like they ate in the wild. That's why every batch of Chick, Chick, Chicken Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Morsels cat food contains 98 percent cage-free chicken, organs and bone, plus taurine and probiotics for dietary health and eating as nature intended.
- All-natural and minimally processed. Because the closer foods stay to their natural state, the better they are. That's why each of Stella and Chewy's Dinner Morsels recipes contains no added hormones, antibiotics, grains or fillers.
- Supports better health for your pet with improved appetite and digestion, relief from allergies, vibrant skin and coat, healthy teeth and gums, greater stamina and vitality and a healthy immune system
Has Stella & Chewy Cat Food Been Recalled?
Yes, Stella and Chewy Cat Food has been recalled in the past.
Stella and Chewy Cat Food has a rather extensive recall history, although most of them were voluntary recalls. The most recent recall was in 2016 and involved a Listeria scare that was prompted by a test confirming the bacteria was in one of their dog foods.
Is Stella & Chewy Cat Food Worth it?
Yes, Stella and Chewy Cat Food is worth it. However, accessibility can be an issue for cat owners on a budget.
Stella & Chewy’s products are made with high-quality ingredients that are responsibly sourced and mixed together in nutritious blends. Unlike regular kibble, this raw cat food comes close to the cat’s natural diet.