Table of Contents
The Honest Kitchen Summary
- The Honest Kitchen is a pet food company specializing in healthy human-grade dog and cat food.
- The dog food lineup of The Honest Kitchen includes dry food, wet food, dehydrated food, toppers, treats, supplements, and boosts.
- All of The Honest Kitchen products are available as a one-time purchase or as part of a customizable subscription plan.
- The Honest Kitchen recipes are prepared, cooked, and packed in the US.
What is The Honest Kitchen?
The Honest Kitchen is a pet food company founded in 2002 in San Diego, California. The company specializes in dog and cat food. The categories of dog food offered include dry dog food, dehydrated dog food, wet food, dog treats, dog food toppers, and supplements.
You can choose to purchase The Honest Kitchen dog food once, or you can subscribe to receive the food at your frequency of choice. The food is available online and in select stores across the country.
Online, you can get the food directly from the company site or from third-party sites like Chewy and Amazon.
Where is The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Made?
The Honest Kitchen dog food is made in the United States, more specifically, in California.
How is The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Made?
The Honest Kitchen human-grade pet food is made with the highest quality ingredients. The ingredients used in the food are sourced within the United States and around the globe. However, the company emphasizes that none are sourced from China.
Every year, The Honest Kitchen’s food suppliers must sign the company’s “Human Food Grade Guarantee” and “Statement of Quality and Integrity.” This is to ensure that all the supplies are maintaining the same level of quality customers expect year after year.
To make the dry food, the ingredients are cold-pressed, roasted, and dehydrated to preserve the freshness and nutrition value of the food. The dehydrated food is gently dehydrated at not-so-high temperatures for the same reason. The wet food is kettle-cooked in small batches to preserve the texture, taste, and flavor of the whole food.
Is The Honest Kitchen Good for Dogs?
Yes, The Honest Kitchen is good for dogs. This is because of the high quality of the food in terms of ingredients, taste, and nutrition.
Dogs may even experience an improvement in health on The Honest Kitchen food. Many dog owners report seeing a boost in their dogs’ wellness after starting them on the food.
Below is our review of The Honest Kitchen dog food. We have included a list of the available formulas, what is included in the subscription, pros, cons, and a summary of what customers had to say about the food.
The Honest Kitchen Formulas:
- The Honest Kitchen Clusters Dry Food
- Whole Grain Chicken Clusters
- Whole Grain Beef & Oat with Turkey Clusters
- The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Chicken Whole Food Clusters for Dogs
- Grain-Free Beef Whole Food Clusters for Dogs
- Grain-Free Turkey Whole Food Clusters for Dogs
- Whole Grain Chicken Clusters for Small Breeds
- Grain-Free Chicken Whole Food Clusters for Small Breeds
- Whole Grain Chicken Clusters for Puppies
- Grain-Free Chicken Whole Food Clusters for Puppies
- The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food
- Dehydrated Whole Grain Chicken
- Dehydrated Whole Grain Turkey
- Dehydrated Whole Grain Beef
- Dehydrated whole grain fish & oats dog food
- Dehydrated Grain Free Chicken
- Dehydrated Grain Free Turkey for Dogs
- Dehydrated Grain Free Beef for Dogs
- Dehydrated Grain Free Fish for Dogs
- Dehydrated Gourmet Grains Chicken & Duck
- Gourmet Grains Turkey and White Fish
- Dehydrated gourmet grain beef and salmon
- Dehydrated Limited Ingredient Chicken for Dogs
- Dehydrated Limited Ingredient Turkey for Dogs
- Dehydrated Limited Ingredient Beef for Dogs
- Dehydrated Limited Ingredient Fish for Dogs
- Dehydrated Limited Ingredient Duck for Dogs
- Dehydrated Grain-Free Fruit & Veggie Base Mix for Dogs
- Kindly Grain Free Dog Food Base
- The Honest Kitchen Wet Food
One Pot Stews Variety Pack
- One Pot Stews – Slow Cooked Chicken with Sweet Potato, Spinach & Apples
- One Pot Stews – Tender Turkey Stew with Quinoa, Carrots & Broccoli
- One Pot Stews – Roasted Beef Stew with Kale, Sweet Potatoes & Carrots –
- One Pot Stews – Braised Beef & Lamb Stew with Green Beans & Sweet Potatoes
- One Pot Stews – Simmered Salmon & Chicken Stew with Brown Rice & Broccoli
The Honest Kitchen – Butcher Block Pâté
- Butcher Block Pâté – Slow Cooked Chicken with Sweet Potato, Spinach & Apples
- Butcher Block Pâté – Simmered Salmon & Chicken Stew with Brown Rice & Broccoli
- Butcher Block Pate Turkey, Duck, & Root Veggies
- Butcher Block Pâté – Roasted Beef Stew with Kale, Sweet Potatoes & Carrots
- Butcher Block Pate Beef, Lamb, and Spring Veggies
- The Honest Kitchen Treats
- Honest Kitchen Parmesan Pecks – Chicken, Parmesan & Cranberry
- Parmesan Pecks – Beef, Parmesan, Blueberry
- Parmesan pecks duck, parmesan & cherry recipe
- Bone Broth Bites – Chicken Bone Broth with Carrots
- Bone Broth Bites – Turkey Bone Broth with Pumpkin
- Bone Broth Bites – Beef and Sweet Potatoes
- Goats Milk N Cookies – Slow Baked with Blueberries & Vanilla
- Goats Milk N Cookies – Slow Baked with Pumpkin & Cinnamon
- Goats Milk N Cookies – Slow Baked with Peanut Butter & Honey
- The Honest Kitchen Jerky Harvest Mini Bars – Beef Recipe With Carrots & Apples
- The Honest Kitchen Jerky Harvest Mini Bars – Chicken Recipe With Apples & Blueberries
- Beams Ocean Chews for Dogs – Wolffish Skins
- The Honest Kitchen – Surf and Turf Meaty Littles – Chicken and Salmon
- The Honest Kitchen Liver Chips Beef and Cheddar
- The Honest Kitchen Liver Chips – Chicken and Cheddar
- Superfood Cod Crisps for Dogs – Cod & Strawberries
- Superfood Cod Crisps for Dogs – Cod & Blueberries
- Beams Ocean Chews for Dogs – Cod Skins
- Beams Ocean Chews for Dogs – Wolffish Skins
- Wishes Fish Filets for Dogs
- The Honest Kitchen Food Toppers
- Bone Broth Pour Overs for Dogs – Chicken Stew
- Bone Broth Pour Overs for Dogs – Turkey & Salmon Stew
- Bone Broth Pour Overs for Dogs – Beef Stew
- Pumpkin Pour Overs for Dogs – Chicken & Pumpkin Stew
- Pumpkin Pour Overs for Dogs – Turkey & Pumpkin Stew
- Pumpkin Pour Overs for Dogs – Salmon & Pumpkin Stew
- Superfood Pour Overs for Dogs – Chicken Stew
- Superfood Pour Overs for Dogs – Turkey Stew
- Superfood Pour Overs for Dogs – Lamb & Beef Stew
- Meal Booster for Dogs – 99% Turkey & Duck
- Meal Booster for Dogs – 99% Beef
- Meal Booster for Dogs – 99% Salmon & Pollock
- The Honest Kitchen Supplements and Boosts
- Instant Goat’s Milk for Dogs & Cats
- Pro Bloom Instant Goat’s Milk
- Instant Beef Bone Broth for Dogs
- Beef Bone Broth
- Turkey Bone Broth with Ginger
- Perfect Form Herbal Supplement
- Complete & Balanced nutrition for adult dogs and puppies of all breeds and sizes, including large breed puppies, as well as adult mothers (gestation/lactation).
- Clusters are thoughtfully prepared using human grade muscle meat & liver, low glycemic carbs, beneficial fats & live probiotics; cold pressed into delicious, bite-size, ready-to-eat pieces.
- Clusters are made by mixing small batches of fresh ingredients, cold pressing them into bite-sized clusters, and then gently slow roasting and dehydrating them to maintain the nutrients, aroma and taste of whole foods.
The Honest Kitchen Summary:
All of The Honest Kitchen’s food selection lives up to its reputation as a healthy dog food brand. The ingredients are all not only very high in quality but also very rich in nutritional value.
What’s in a The Honest Kitchen Subscription:
Your Honest Kitchen contains the products you select for your dog. If you choose to subscribe to an item, you can get 5% off and free shipping for shipments over $49.
The Honest Kitchen Pros:
- High-quality human-grade ingredients. This helps to ensure the quality of your dog’s food in regards to both taste and nutrition.
- Convenient packaging, especially for the wet food that your dog can eat directly out of the pack.
- Many options of formulations and flavors to choose from. Unlike other dog food brands with a limited selection of food, The Honest Kitchen gives you a lot of choices that can be helpful for picky eaters.
- Ideal for dogs with sensitive tummies and allergies.
The Honest Kitchen Cons:
- Pricey compared to ordinary dog food.
- The food contains sodium selenite, a compound that is a source of controversy in the veterinary world.
The Honest Kitchen Reviews:
Overall the reviews of The Honest Kitchen are very positive. Most pet parents say their dogs love the food, including picky eaters.
Dogs with allergies and sensitive tummies have also responded well to the foo. Dog owners report a general health improvement after feeding their dogs The Honest Kitchen food for a while.
Some of the reported improvements include healthier coats, weight loss, and fewer digestion issues.
How does The Honest Kitchen Work?
You can choose to buy The Honest Kitchen dog food as a one-time purchase, or you can sign up for a subscription.
To subscribe, choose the product you would like to receive and opt for a recurring order. After selecting your order, you get to select the time interval between your deliveries. Available options include two, three, four, six, eight, ten, and twelve weeks.
If you would like a more personalized selection for your dog, select the “Find Your Recipe Quiz.” Here, you will enter information about your dog, including her:
- activity level
- food type she prefers
After entering the information, a selection will be made for you, and you can choose to go ahead with it or choose something for yourself.
If you aren’t yet set on using The Honest Kitchen dog food, there’s a starter pack you can try to see if the brand is the right fit for you and your dog.
What Ingredients does The Honest Kitchen Use?
The Honest Kitchen dog food uses only high-quality human-grade ingredients. The ingredients list contains no GMOs, fillers, artificial preservatives, and colors.
The main ingredients in The Honest Kitchen’s dry food are:
- Chicken. This is the main ingredient. It is a source of protein that is essential for the growth, maintenance, and repair of body tissues.
- Oats. These provide carbohydrates which are converted to energy. Being a whole grain, they are also rich in prebiotic fiber and minerals like potassium and iron.
- Barley. This is a whole grain with the same health benefits as oats.
- Chicken Liver. In addition to providing protein, liver improves the flavor of the food and provides some micronutrients like vitamin A and iron.
- Other Ingredients. Carrots, eggs, ground flaxseed, broccoli, pumpkin, apples, natural chicken flavor, coconut oil, kale, chia seed, salmon oil, minerals [tricalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, sodium selenite], fenugreek seed, dried kelp, taurine, L-carnitine, vitamins [vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride ], mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), turmeric, dried bacillus coagulans fermentation product, rosemary extract.
The main ingredients in The Honest Kitchen’s dehydrated food are:
- Dehydrated Chicken. This is the first ingredient. It acts as the main source of protein in this food. Protein is essential for the growth, maintenance, and repair of body tissues.
- Organic oats, Organic Barley, and Dehydrated Potatoes. These are rich in carbs which are used to generate energy for the body. They also provide some micronutrients to the body.
- Organic Flaxseed. Flaxseed is a good source of healthy unsaturated fatty acids, including omega-3 fatty acids.
- Other Ingredients. Dehydrated peas, dehydrated carrots, dried parsley, dried bananas, dehydrated celery, dried organic kelp, minerals [tricalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, potassium iodide, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite], taurine, vitamins [vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement], fish oil (a natural source of DHA and EPA).
The main ingredients in The Honest Kitchen’s wet food are:
- Chicken and Chicken Bone Broth. These are the main sources of protein in The Honest Kitchen’s wet food. The Bone Broth also supplies collagen, which is a protein that makes up the connective tissue in the body.
- Sweet Potatoes. These provide carbs and minerals, particularly potassium.
- Spinach. Spinach is a micronutrient powerhouse. It is rich in vitamin A, C, potassium, iron, folate, and other anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Apples. These lend the food a wonderful flavor and also provide nutrients like vitamin C, fiber, and some antioxidants.
- Other Ingredients. Tapioca, minerals [copper proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, selenium yeast, zinc proteinate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, magnesium proteinate], dicalcium phosphate, vitamins [vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, choline chloride], salmon oil, dried kelp, cinnamon.
The main ingredients in The Honest Kitchen’s treats are:
- Barley. This is the main ingredient and acts as a source of energy-giving carbs.
- Chicken. This is the main protein source.
- Rolled Oats. Also a whole grain, oats provide energy, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Ground flaxseed. This is a good source of healthy unsaturated fatty acids, including omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cranberries. These are micronutrient-packed fruits that give your dog some much-needed nutrients like vitamin E, C, manganese, and copper.
- Other Ingredients. Organic coconut oil, parmesan cheese, molasses, eggs, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative)
The main ingredients in The Honest Kitchen’s food toppers are:
- Chicken Bone Broth and Chicken. Chicken is the main source of protein, and Bone Broth provides protein as well as collagen. Collagen is a vital protein that is essential for the maintenance of connective tissue in the body.
- Carrots. These are a good source of vitamin A and dietary fiber.
- Butternut Squash. Squash is a good source of vitamin A as well and also dietary fiber.
- Other Ingredients. Tapioca, thyme, and sage.
The main ingredient in The Honest Kitchen’s supplements is dehydrated goat’s milk. Goat milk is a great source of protein and gut-healthy probiotics.
The other ingredients are dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger product, dried Trichoderma reesei fermentation product, bromelain, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus rhamnosus fermentation product, dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product.
Has The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Been Recalled?
Yes, The Honest Kitchen dog food has been recalled. In February of 2013, batches of Verve, Thrive, and Zeal were recalled due to potential salmonella contamination. The contamination was suspected of originating from one of The Honest Kitchen’s suppliers.
The recall was done as a precaution, and no cases of illness or fatalities were reported. The supplier was replaced with a more reliable company after the incident.
How Much Does The Honest Kitchen Cost?
The Honest Kitchen dog food starts at $5.99. However, the cost of the food varies widely depending on the type, quantity, and formula you choose. Your dog’s features like breed, age, and gender will also determine how much you spend on food in total.
Is The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Worth it?
Yes, The Honest Kitchen dog food is worth it. The food is made with very high-quality ingredients and is minimally processed to preserve freshness and nutritional value.
The brand also provides a variety of products, so your dog never grows tired of eating the same over and over again.