The Honest Kitchen is a wonderful place to buy your pet supplies. They offer a wide variety of products to suit different pet life stages, nutritional needs, and particular protein types. While some of their products serve only puppies, others are better suited for adult dogs or seniors.
We like the fact that they focus on making their products human-grade. It is also superb that they offer foods, pet treats, supplements, and food toppers made in top facilities that can pass very high inspection standards.
- The Honest Kitchen is a company that is committed to have a positive influence on pet health
- Customers can get 30% off on their first orders of $30+ using code VETERINARIANS30.
- You can purchase The Honest Kitchen products from thehonestkitchen.com
- They source their pet food ingredients carefully
- The Honest Kitchen has a wide variety of different dog treats that your dog can enjoy
- They offer products to all small breeds as well as larger breeds of pets
What is The Honest Kitchen?
The Honest Kitchen is a pet food supply retailer that has been operating since 2002. It was founded by a foodie named Lucy Postins, that wanted to bring her love of quality ingredients in her own kitchen to her beloved pets. Lucy took this passion and turned it into a company that tries to positively impact pet health by carefully sourcing its ingredients. They focus on making every product they sell human-grade.
A human-grade pet food product will nourish pets and help them feel their best. The Honest Kitchen disdains what they call feed-grade pet food that is abundant in the commercial market. The company has an uncompromising value for quality assurance. They offer foods, treats, supplements, and toppers made in facilities that can pass human food inspection standards.
Because of these high standards, they are easily AAFCO certified, which means their products are complete and balanced for different life stages. Lucy always takes a stand against puppy mills with her company by not allowing pet stores that sell puppies to stock her food.
Who Owns The Honest Kitchen?
Lucy Postins, who is the founder and CEO of Honest Kitchen, owns the company. The company is privately funded and has undergone two funding rounds that have raised $150 million. The lead investors for The Honest Kitchen are Monarch Alternative Capital, Alliance Consumer Growth, and White Road Investments. The Honest Kitchen has a headquarters in San Diego, California.
Where is The Honest Kitchen Made?
The Honest Kitchen makes its products in several facilities that pass human quality regulatory standards. Some of them are in California, and some of them are in Topeka, Kansas. The Honest Kitchen has non-GMO ingredients that come from many places around the world, 84% of which are from North America.
What does The Honest Kitchen Sell?
The Honest Kitchen: Dog Products
The Honest Kitchen sells dog products that are divided into several major categories. These categories include clusters of dry food, dehydrated food, wet food, treats, toppers, supplements, and broths. These products support a wide variety of life stages, nutritional needs, and protein types. Some products serve only puppies, while others are better for adults or seniors.
They also have roam-free chickens, beef, fish, turkey, duck, lamb, and base mix protein options available. Having such a good selection of whole-food proteins is a great way to ensure you can serve everyone. Some proteins can cause gastrointestinal tract issues for some breeds of dogs. Some of the more common nutritional needs that they provide for dogs include grain-free, legume-free, high protein, low fat, low sodium, and low carbohydrate.
The Honest Kitchen: Dog Food
- The Honest Kitchen Clusters Dry Dog Food: These dry kibbles come in different categories and are sorted by protein type (Chicken, Beef or Turkey) , nutrient type (Lower Calorie or Low Phosphorus), life stage of the dog (Puppy, Less Active/Senior, or Adult), and grain type (Grain Free or Whole Grain). The options could also be filtered by ingredients that are not included in the formula. This is a great way to narrow down options and eliminate those which may cause allergic reactions to your dogs. The whole food clusters have chicken recipes along with whole grain beef and turkey. They are designed to provide the highest quality possible and are made with minimally processed whole foods. The Honest Kitchen collaborated with a veterinary nutritionist to ensure that they help your dog be the healthiest it can be.
- The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Dog Food: This dog food type comes in six different size options and can be placed as a recurring order for an additional coupon. All you need to do is mix the ingredients with warm water, stir, and then wait for three minutes. After that, you can serve them fresh to your furry friend. Despite being dehydrated, they become rather chewy after being stirred in warm water.
- The Honest Kitchen Wet Dog Food: The wet dog food has two different grain options, which include whole-grain and grain-free. Depending on your dog’s dietary restrictions, this can be an excellent distinction that makes your dog’s menu have more accessibility. Protein options include range-free beef, range-free turkey, and many others. You also get an option to select between broccoli or various other veggies. Some also has apples. The wet food dog food type doesn’t need to worry about limited ingredients. Cage-free dog food proteins always make a significant difference.
The Honest Kitchen: Dog Treats
Every dog breed, from cute small breeds to gentle giant breeds love treats. It is the one essential rule of all good dogs. Luckily, The Honest Kitchen has a wealth of different dog treats that can satisfy a dog’s palate. These dog treats are listed below:
- Cookies: These cookies are a special treat with flavors like Blueberry & Goat’s Milk and Pumpkin & Cinnamon.
- Bone Broth Bites: Bites treats will combine things like chicken stew and carrots in a delicious bone broth.
- Parmesan Pecks: These treats are upgraded traditional dog biscuits that combine real cheese with various proteins and human-grade ingredients. More flavor but not calories. They are also very cheap in price, so don’t forget to pick one up before heading to checkout.
- Harvest Mini Bars: The Harvest bars are miniature jerky bars that come in beef and chicken varieties.
- Littles: These Meaty Littles combine some aspects of Surf & Turf. They will often combine meat from the earth with meat from the sea. You will see pairings like chicken & salmon or beef & salmon. This comes with extra protein for muscle growth and DHA for brain development – now that’s an extrahealthy training treat!
- Chips: The Liver chips combine beef or chicken liver with a delicious cheddar recipe. The cheddar cheese is slowly baked and sliced into little chips, then cooked with cage-free chicken or beef.
- Chews: Ocean chews consist of high-protein pure fish skins. They are very chewy, as the name suggests, making them a great way to keep your dog entertained and happy. They are also chock full of Omega nutrients to keep your dog’s coat shiny and healthy.
- Crisps: These dog treats combine superfood fruit with delicious fresh cod. They come in blueberry and strawberry varieties loaded with omega fatty acids, antioxidants and pure, lean protein. This is a superfood recommended for medium and large breed dogs.
- Filets: White Fish filets are one-ingredient wonders that are easily breakable and light—the perfect go-to snack for a dog owner whose dog loves gifts from the sea packed with natural protein and Omega-3s.
The Honest Kitchen: Dog Supplements
The Honest Kitchen also offers supplements that produce various effects that can improve your dog’s health. One such supplement is mentioned below:
- Goat’s Milk: This is an easily digestible supplement that is packed full of 1.25 billion active probiotics. It also contains digestive enzymes that improve digestion rate and also improve a dog’s immune system.
- Herbal Digestive Supplement: Combination of herbs that covers the gastrointestinal lining to promote proper bowel movement and prevent stomach upset during diet transition.
The Honest Kitchen: Dog Food Toppers
The Honest Kitchen offers several kinds of dog food toppers which include the ones listed below:
- Superfood Pour Overs: This meal includes cage-free animals and superfood ingredients like spinach or kale. The result is a tasty combination that can turn any regular dog meal into a feast.
- Meal Boosters: The meal boosters topper is a highly concentrated dose of protein you can add to any meal. This is a great way to get that extra protein in for a meal that may be lacking it.
The Honest Kitchen: Dog Food Broths
The Honest Kitchen sells one type of broth in their selection, which is mentioned below:
- Bone Broth: These bone broth varieties are loaded with healthy turmeric herbs that improve your dog’s lifespan. They come with single-serve beef or chicken packets that are quick to serve. Turmeric contains the substance curcumin which may complement anti-inflammatory drugs in patients suffering from joint mobility issues.
The Honest Kitchen: Cat Products
Despite their many dog products, cats are not left out in The Honest Kitchen. The Honest Kitchen sells many cat products, including the following:
- Clusters Dry Food: Cats get grain-free turkey, chicken, and whitefish clusters.
- Dehydrated Food: As you might expect, dehydrated cat food includes many types of animal proteins. They also get dehydrated grain free to go with sweet potatoes or a beef recipe.
- Wet Food: Cats receive minced meat in a savory bone broth gravy.
- Treats: The Cats get the bites line of treats, including different fish recipes.
- Toppers: The options for this category are chicken & duck or salmon & pollock.
- Supplements: Cats get two different supplement options which are Goat’s Milk and Herbal Digestive Supplement.
The Honest Kitchen: Cat Food
The cat food offered by The Honest Kitchen includes the foods listed below:
- Clusters Dry Food: Dry food options are available for every life stage in The Honest Kitchen’s human-grade quality.
- Dehydrated Food: This product comes in grain-free chicken, turkey, or a variety pack of different proteins.
- Wet Food: The fancier wet cat food has minced chicken, turkey, duck, and salmon protein options served in bone broth gravy. The fishier protein recipe options include a higher amount of protein that reviews say that their cats love.
The Honest Kitchen: Cat Treats
The Honest Kitchen has one variety of treats for cats, which is discussed below:
- Smittens: This treat features a mashup of different seafood proteins with whole-food veggies. Some varieties include herring & cranberry and the whitefish recipe.
The Honest Kitchen: Cat Supplements
At The Honest Kitchen, cats get one more supplement type than dogs. The cat supplements that The Honest Kitchen sells include the following:
- Goat’s Milk: This supplement adds extra probiotics to your cat’s meal that can improve its digestive health. It can also add extra hydration to an otherwise dehydrating meal.
- Herbal Digestive Supplement: A 3.2 oz container containing ingredients that protect the GI tract and reduce the number of accidents your cat has due to stress from its environment.
The Honest Kitchen: Cat Food Toppers
There is one variety of cat food toppers that The Honest Kitchen sells. This cat food topper is listed below:
- MMMixers: Offered in chicken & duck or salmon & pollock, these toppers can turn any dry meal into a wet food feast.
The Honest Kitchen: Cat Food Broths
The Honest Kitchen sells one type of cat broth product, which includes the following:
- Minced: A combination meal where minced meat is placed in a bone broth gravy.
Is The Honest Kitchen a Good Brand?
Yes, The Honest Kitchen is a good brand to choose for buying pet food for your cat or dog. Their commitment to The Honest Kitchen human-grade experience is that no matter if you are ordering beef bone broth or whole grain chicken, you are always sure you are getting healthy and vet-approved meals for your furry friends.
Another market that The Honest Kitchen is a good brand is the plethora of good reviews that exist for them online. Many commenters compliment the reasonable price range they are paying for such a premium product. Many of the health benefits of whole food products have been proven, meaning many customers will see improvement over the course of their pet’s life.
The Honest Kitchen took a problematic stand when they decided they wouldn’t sell their products in many pet stores, which seemed crazy at the time. However, this gambit paid off thanks to how well-received they are by their customers, which is another mark of quality.
Where can I Buy Products from The Honest Kitchen?
Do Vets Recommend The Honest Kitchen Products?
Yes, Vets recommend The Honest Kitchen products because of their commitment to serving whole foods and superfoods in the meals. Many of The Honest Kitchen products were designed with real veterinarians helping with the recipe, so you know that it is vet approved. On their website, The Honest Kitchen quotes Leilani Alvarez, a veterinarian who works at a medical center that praises the food as having the “highest level of excellence.” She also states that she feeds The Honest Kitchen food to all her personal pets.
The Honest Kitchen: Try Them Out!
You will want to buy from the Honest Kitchen for many reasons. They were the original producers of the human-grade food label. In other words, they were the first human-grade pet food brands, and they follow 100+ safety standards, while other brands only follow the 15 safety standards for feed-grade pet food.
Another reason to choose The Honest Kitchen is that there is always something to try. You can order pot stews for your pets one day and a cage-free turkey recipe the next. They also have one of the largest selections of whole-food dog treats compared to any other brand. Because they offer products to all breeds of pets at any stage of life, you will always have a reason to come back for more.
Yet another thing to persuade you is that The Honest Kitchen regularly publishes a yearly report that their customers can read and get a feel for how the company is doing. This report is called the social & environmental impact report, and it details the steps the company is taking to make its business more sustainable and accountable.
“Turmeric contains the substance curcumin which may complement anti-inflammatory drugs in patients suffering from joint mobility issues.
Fish and organs are rich in DHA, an omega-3 fatty acid that has a vital role in the development of the central nervous system being a structural component of the brain.“
-Athena Gaffud, DVM