Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs Summary
- Best Overall Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs: Honest Paws Dog Turkey Tail Mushroom Blend
This turkey tail mushroom supplement for dogs is loaded with numerous health-boosting ingredients and checks all boxes for safety and efficacy.
- Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs with Allergies: Petsmont Dog Allergy Relief Turkey Tail Mushroom Supplement
This turkey tail mushroom for dogs contains eight medicinal mushrooms with health benefits like allergy relief, antioxidants, and immune support.
- Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs with Immunity Issues: Mushroom Matrix Turkey Tail Holistic Defense & Immune Support Supplements
This turkey tail mushroom for dogs is made from 100% turkey tail mushroom and contains absolutely no inactive ingredients.
- Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs with Liver Issues: Four Leaf Rover Turkey Tail Mushroom Extract
This turkey tail mushroom for dogs is made with all-natural and healthy mushrooms and is perfect for dogs with liver issues.
- Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs Needing Palliative Care: Superfood Allergy Immune Supplement for Dogs
This turkey tail mushroom for dogs contains added healthy ingredients such as spirulina and resveratrol for ultimate health support.
- Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs for Overall Wellbeing: FERA PET ORGANICS Mushroom Blend for Dog Immune Support
This turkey tail mushroom for dogs contains ten different types of mushrooms and is made with a 100% fruiting body for maximum benefits.
What are Turkey Tail Mushrooms?
Turkey tail mushroom (botanical name: Coriolus Versicolor or Trametes Versicolor) is a type of fungus that grows on trees and resembles the tail of a turkey, hence the name. They are also known by the name Yun Zhi.
Turkey tail mushrooms are gaining popularity in western medicine but have been a staple in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries to clear dampness, reduce phlegm, boost immune function, and increase energy.
In modern medicine, the benefits of turkey tail mushrooms for dogs are due to the presence of beta-glucans, a special type of polysaccharide. There are two remarkable types of beta-glucans present in turkey tail mushrooms:
- Polysaccharopeptide (PSP)
- Polysaccharide-K (PSK).
Health Benefits of Turkey Tail Mushrooms
- Polysaccharide-K (PSK)
- Polysaccharide-P (PSP)
Can Dogs Eat Turkey Tail Mushrooms?
Yes, dogs can eat turkey tail mushrooms but not in their raw state. Turkey tail mushrooms, when raw, are woody and tough, which makes them difficult for dogs to chew on.
Some dog owners use hot water extraction and offer supplements in the form of a drink. However, this is time-consuming, which makes commercially available turkey tail mushroom extracts the next viable option.
What are the Benefits of Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs?
Turkey tail mushroom for dogs has several benefits, many of which come from the beta-glucans and phytochemicals present. Keep reading as we go into details on some of the scientifically proven health benefits of these medicinal mushrooms.
- Rich in Antioxidants. Turkey tail mushrooms have a wide variety of phytochemicals and antioxidants like phenols and flavonoids that protect the body from disease-causing free radicals.
- Support Digestive Health. Dietary fiber is a key element in keeping the gut healthy, and mushrooms got plenty of it. Fiber improves gut health by acting as a prebiotic (provides nutrients for probiotics) and improving intestinal motility.
- Anti-Cancer Properties. Turkey tail mushrooms for dogs show promise as an additional cancer treatment. The FDA has permitted studies investigating this. A meta-analysis on the effects of turkey tail mushrooms on breast cancer found that the use of the product increased the survival time of patients. Similar results were seen in a study on dogs that had hemangiosarcoma and used a turkey tail mushroom supplement.
The Best Turkey Tail Mushrooms for Dogs Reviewed
There are many options for turkey tail mushroom supplements on the market. With so many brands to choose from, pet parents can get confused. To make the choice easier for you, we reviewed and selected the best products.
Summary: The Honest Paws Turkey Tail Mushroom Supplement contains three other types of medicinal mushrooms – Reishi, Maitake, and Shiitake. The product also contains other healthy vitamins (A, C, and E) and absolutely no fillers, preservatives, or junk. Some of the benefits you can expect to see in your dog include antioxidant action, immune support, and better liver health. Finally, if your dog is a picky eater, this blend is flavored with chicken to encourage dogs to eat it.
- 4 types of organic medicinal mushrooms
- Added vitamins for better potency
- Free from soy, corn, GMO, and additives
- Dog-friendly flavor and form
- Made in the USA
- Pricier than other supplements on this list
Review: The Honest Paws Turkey Tail Mushroom for dogs has two consistent descriptions from dog owners: effective and tastes great. Dog owners who have had trouble getting their dogs to eat other supplements say that this one required no work. The product is found to help with allergies, infections, and side effects of cancer treatment.
Summary: In this supplement, you will find eight types of organic medicinal mushrooms; Shiitake, Maitake, Turkey tail, Lion’s mane, Cordyceps, Agaricus Blazei, Reishi, and Chaga. No fillers and artificial preservatives are present. Some of the benefits you can expect from the Petsmont mushroom supplement are allergy relief, antioxidant support, and a general boost in immunity.
- Contains 8 different types of mushrooms
- Offers a variety of health benefits
- No preservatives and fillers
- Suitable for dogs with chewing difficulties
- Comes with a serving spoon for measuring
- The amount of turkey tail mushroom is not specified
Review: Customers absolutely love Petsmont’s Mushroom supplement. Many of them report seeing positive changes in their dogs after using the supplement. Some of the changes dog owners saw include better coat appearance and improved immunity. Dog owners also say that dogs love the supplement and eat it without hesitation.
Summary: This product contains only 100% turkey tail mushrooms as an active ingredient and no inactive ingredients. For owners with small dogs of 25 lbs or less, a single tub can last up to 200 days if you are giving one serving per day. Mushroom Matrix is designed to give your dog healthy amounts of beta-glucans and other health benefits such as immune support and reduction in oxidative stress at the cellular level.
- With 100% organic turkey tail mushrooms
- Holistic defense and immune support
- Free from synthetic ingredients
- 200 grams per package
- Budget-friendly price
- The product is often out of stock
Review: Dog parents are very pleased with Mushroom Matrix, particularly those with dogs living with chronic conditions such as cancer and heart disease. Customers report noticing visible changes in their pets’ health after starting them on the turkey tail mushroom for dogs.
Summary: This mushroom powder from Four Leaf Clover sets itself apart by the way it grows its mushrooms. Some mushrooms are grown on wheat or oats, while others are grown on wood just like in nature. The four-leaf clover mushrooms belong to the second category. The mushrooms are also organic and don’t contain any artificial additives.
- Mushrooms are grown on wood
- Rich in prebiotics and beta-glucans
- Free from artificial ingredients and additives
- Vet-formulated and suitable for all breeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Complaints about the container’s small size
Review: Dog owners that use this product absolutely love it. The supplement has proven effective in the treatment of different conditions, including liver failure, moles, and the side effects of cancer treatment.
Summary: In addition to turkey tail, this supplement contains other medicinal ingredients such as spirulina and resveratrol. The product claims to have the following benefits: improving skin coat appearance, boosting immunity, gut health, and heart health. Unlike most of the other supplements on this list, this one comes in a variety of sizes that cater to different needs, such as travel and pet parents with multiple pets.
- High-quality and human-grade ingredients
- Added spirulina and resveratrol
- Allergy relief and antioxidant support
- Free from GMOs, additives, and fillers
- Available in different sizes
- Picky eaters may dislike the taste
Review: This product has received many great reviews and success stories from dog owners. The supplement has improved life for dogs with different conditions, including cancer, papillomavirus, and respiratory issues.
Summary: Some of the benefits your dog can expect from the Fera mushroom blend include a boost in metabolism, immunity, brain, heart, and liver function. The vet-formulated blend contains ten types of mushrooms, some of which are Lion’s mane, Shiitake, and Maitake. The product is 100% organic certified, contains a 100% fruiting body, and has no mycelium (the roots of the mushroom).
- Contains 10 types of medicinal mushrooms
- With 100% full spectrum fruiting bodies
- Supports immunity, cognition, and vitality
- Rich in beta-glucans
- Veterinarian-formulated powder
- Lower concentration of turkey tail mushrooms
Review: Dog owners love this product, with many saying that it has had a positive effect on their dogs. One dog owner reports noticing a visible change in her dog’s alertness and energy levels. The mushrooms also taste great, so most dogs have no trouble eating them.
Which is the Best Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs?
The best turkey tail mushroom for dogs is the Honest Paws Turkey Tail Mushroom Blend. It is made with high-quality ingredients, which include 100% organic turkey tail mushrooms, other medicinal mushrooms, and vitamins.
The high-quality ingredients are what make it possible for your dog to enjoy health benefits such as immune support, antioxidant activity, and better gut health.
When choosing a turkey tail mushroom for dogs, keep the following factors in mind:
- Quality of Ingredients. Read the ingredient list of whatever supplement you choose. A good product must have safe, high-quality ingredients and no artificial preservatives, fillers, or bulking agents. If possible, opt for organic mushrooms, free of pesticides and toxins like heavy metals.
- Mushroom Amount. Ensure that the product has a significant amount of turkey tail mushrooms. Some brands may use very small amounts of real mushrooms but still label the supplement as a mushroom product.
- Supplement Price. Don’t just check for the total price of a product; calculate how much each serving costs to determine if a particular brand is sustainable for you over the long run.
- Flavor. It is important to choose a supplement that your dog will easily eat. It is of no use to have the best supplement if your dog won’t eat it. If you are having a hard time getting your dog to eat mushroom supplements, a flavored option might do the trick.
- Form. Mushroom supplements come in different forms, such as powder, tablets, and liquid. Opt for the form that is easiest to give to your dog. For example, if she has chewing difficulties, a chewable tablet may not be a good option.
- Brand Reputability. To keep your dog safe, only purchase supplements from reputable brands with a standing history of delivering high-quality pet products. Consult your vet for advice when in doubt about a product or brand.
What are the Side Effects of Turkey Tail Mushroom?
Turkey tail mushroom is usually well-tolerated, but some dogs may experience minor side effects in gastrointestinal upset. Here is what you can expect:
Turkey tail mushroom for dogs can sometimes cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) and hypotension (low blood pressure). As a result, dogs with diabetes and blood pressure issues should not use turkey tail supplements.
Also, it should be noted that the safety of turkey tail mushrooms for pregnant and lactating dogs is now established. Therefore, err on the side of caution and stop giving the supplement if your dog falls under one of these categories.
How Much Turkey Tail Mushroom can I Give My Dog?
The amount of turkey tail mushroom for dogs depends on the supplement strength, the dog’s body weight, and its overall health status. The dosing instructions will be provided on the mushroom supplement package.
It is essential to stick to the instructions, as turkey tail mushroom overdoses are possible. In milder overdose cases, dogs develop intestinal irritation and other digestive issues.
However, in more severe cases, toxicity is possible. Toxicity manifest with intense stomach upset (vomiting and diarrhea), lack of appetite, weakness, seizures, and even liver damage.
Consult your veterinarian before using turkey tail mushroom for dogs.