- South Dakota comes in at number one for the state with the highest number of employed veterinarians. South Dakota boasts over 48 veterinarians per 100,000 people, which is over 70% more veterinarians than Arkansas, the state with the lowest number of employed veterinarians in the nation per 100,000 people.
- Only five states in the study’s rankings boast 40 or more veterinarians per 100,000 people: South Dakota, New Hampshire, Montana, Vermont, and Maine.
- A third of the states in the top ranking are based in the nation’s Midwest region, where agricultural production is among the highest in the world.
- Arkansas is the state with the lowest number of employed veterinarians, with only 14 veterinarians per 100,000 people. New Jersey, West Virginia, Nevada, Illinois, and Texas also all boast less than 18 veterinarians per 100,000 people.
- Six states in total from the study’s bottom rankings are among the highest payers for veterinarians (Arkansas, West Virginia, Texas, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Florida). Veterinarians in these states make anywhere from 115%-146% more than the state’s average salary.
Vet Near Me: Methodology
The States with the Highest and Lowest Number of Employed Veterinarians: Overview
- 1: The number of employed veterinarians in each state
- 2: The population size in each state
- 3: The number of employed veterinarians per 100,000 people in each state