Table of Contents
Wellness Cat Food Summary
- Best Overall Wellness Cat Food: Wellness Complete Health Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
Tasty de-boned chicken and chicken meal recipe free from grains, by-products, fillers, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
- Best Balanced Wellness Cat Food: Wellness Complete Health Balanced Nutrition Dry Cat Food
Well-rounded and balanced nutrition with salmon, cranberries, and wholesome grains like rice, barley, and oatmeal for whole-body health.
- Best Wet Wellness Cat Food: Wellness Complete Health Wet Cat Food
Grain-free chicken pate with superior ingredients that support healthy hydration and a lifetime of wellbeing.
- Best Protein-High Wellness Cat Food: Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
Grain-free and protein-rich cat formula that supports a lean physique, active mobility, healthy skin, and lustrous coat.
What is Wellness Cat Food?
Wellness is a pet food brand that makes dry kibble, wet food, and treats for both cats and dogs.
They, in their own words, are “committed to your pet’s overall wellness” by pursuing ways to bring happiness and nutrition to your pet’s meals.
Wellness Cat Food uses high-quality and natural ingredients to provide your pet with safe sources of vitamins, minerals, and proteins to promote an optimal quality of life.
Where is Wellness Cat Food Made?
Wellness Cat Food is made in Indiana, U.S.A.
How is Wellness Cat Food Made?
Most of the ingredients in Wellness Cat Food are sourced in the USA. However, there are some ingredients that must be sourced from abroad. For example, taurine and green tea extract can only be sourced from China.
Wellness gets its ingredients from highly respected suppliers and regularly tests raw ingredients to ensure they meet their quality standards.
Making the formula starts with preparing the fresh or frozen meat, depending on the recipe, that is, ground and inspected for foreign materials.
Then, dry and liquid ingredients are added to the ground meat and placed into a mixer to be processed to a specific consistency. Afterward, they pass through another inspection point to check for foreign materials.
Is Wellness Cat Food Good for Cats?
Yes, Wellness Cat Food is good. The food is made free from soy, corn, and wheat and is processed with no artificial flavors or colors. The natural, raw meat they put into their products is responsibly sourced for your pet’s health and happiness and is approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials.
Wellness Cat Food Formulas Reviewed
There are different Wellness Cat Food formulas. Here we have reviewed some of the best-selling options.
Summary: Wellness uses a staff of veterinarians and nutritionists to develop this dry cat food that is made using chicken as the first ingredient. Chicken meal, folic acid, and taurine help round this out to make it an excellent option for adult cats. The food promotes proper muscle tone, healthy skin, lustrous coat, and strong immunity. It is made in the USA and available at an affordable price.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats
- High-quality protein from chicken
- Rosemary antioxidants for immunity support
- Rich in omega fatty acids for skin and fur health
- Added cranberries for urinary tract health
- No by-products, preservatives, or artificial colors
- Often out of stock on Amazon, Chewy, and other retailers
Ingredient Analysis: The formula’s first five ingredients are deboned chicken, chicken meal, peas, chickpeas, and chicken fat. In addition to vitamins and minerals, it contains healthy nutrient sources like salmon oil, dried kelp, cranberries, flaxseed, chicory root, and green tea extract. The only thing we do not like is the use of tomato pomace.
Review: Customers on Amazon were largely happy with the food. They note how the kibble made their cat’s fur shinier and more lustrous while also saying their cat is eating less, indicating to them this is a higher quality food than they were previously feeding their pets. The more critical reviews were concerning their cat’s lack of interest in eating this product.
Summary: This dry cat food has the ideal balance of protein and fat. It is made with real salmon as the first ingredient and has a blend of added vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The food is easy to digest and supports healthy skin & coat, clean teeth & mouth, a strong immune system, and high energy for playing. It is suitable for both outdoor and indoor cats.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats
- Real salmon as ingredient number one
- Wholesome grains like rice, barley, and oatmeal
- Crunchy kibble rich in calcium and phosphorus
- No by-products, fillers, and artificial preservatives
- Available in four different recipe versions
- Made with less protein than some other high-end brands
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken and chicken meals are the first two ingredients. The inclusion of rice, barley, and oatmeal can be questionable, but when used correctly, they are not harmful to cats. The added vitamins like thiamine, niacin, and ascorbic acid help make this a well-balanced, nutrient-dense dry cat food.
Review: Cat owners rate this product highly for its effect on hairball control and easing digestive issues in their pets. They say their pets like the food, and even picky tasters adjust well. However, there are some negative reports about the smell of the salmon recipe being too strong for both cats and owners.
Summary: This cost-friendly wet cat food offers morsels of real meat in a pate that is grain-free and made with quality food sources, like chicken liver, chicken broth, and turkey. It is made with no fillers and provides immunity support with added vitamins and minerals. The food offers a wide variety of flavors, such as turkey & salmon, chicken & herring, beef & salmon, etc.
Type: Wet cat food
Best for: Adult cats
Price: $1.49 per 3-ounce can
- Made with selected, natural ingredients
- Easily digestible and extremely flavorful
- Affordable and wet grain-free cat food
- Supports healthy hydration and overall wellbeing
- Available in a variety pack
- Reports about inconsistencies in the texture
Ingredient Analysis: The ingredients in this product are overall very good. Using chicken, chicken liver, and turkey for protein and amino acids, it is clear they made this to satisfy a cat’s nutritional needs. It is enriched with vitamin A, vitamin b12, folic acid, and thiamine to support overall health and normal physiological functions.
Review: As the most reviewed product on this list, there have been over 5,700 reviews on Amazon alone. A surprising number of consumers claimed this food “saved their cat’s life” as it alleviated digestive issues and inflamed bowels. While some 5-star reviews claimed their cats are “extremely finicky” yet loved this food, there were quite a few who said their cat simply refused to eat the food at all due to an apparent change in the recipe.
Summary: The all-natural, high-protein dry food is made with deboned chicken and turkey and is best suited for indoor cats. It supports healthy and lean muscle formation and helps keep the cat’s weight under control. The food is free from artificial colors, preservatives, grains, fillers, and GMOs. Overall, the diet is nutrient-dense to support optimal feline health.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult indoor cats
- High-quality meats paired with superfoods
- Probiotic-coated kibble for easy digestion
- Cranberry antioxidants for urinary tract health
- No added GMOs, soy, gluten, wheat, corn, and eggs
- Free from artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- Manufactured in a facility that also processes grains
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken, turkey meal, and chicken meal make up the first three ingredients by weight, making this a great option for cats in need of a higher protein diet. There are no fillers or manmade ingredients in this food. We particularly like the inclusion of probiotics to support healthy digestion and cranberries for urinary health and immune system support.
Review: Three-quarters of the 1,500+ reviewers rate this 5-stars with claims it made their cats more energetic and able to maintain a healthy weight. A number of cat owners stated it took less kibble to make their cats full due to the nutritionally dense formulation.
What Cat Food Formulas does Wellness Make?
Wellness Cat Food includes several types of foods and product lines. Here are the brand’s dry food recipes:
- Wellness Complete Health Grain-Free Adult Food
- Wellness Complete Health Grain-Free Kitten Food
- Wellness Complete Health Grain-Free Indoor Food
- Wellness Complete Health Grain-Free Senior Food
- Wellness Complete Health Adult with Wholesome Grains
- Wellness Complete Health Indoor with Wholesome Grains
- Wellness Hairball Control with Wholesome Grains
- Wellness Core Digestive Health with Wholesome Grains
- Wellness Core Original, Kitten, Adult, & Indoor Foods
The list of Wellness wet cat foods includes:
- Wellness CORE Digestive Health Paté
- Wellness Complete Health Pâté
- Wellness Complete Health Gravies
- Wellness Complete Health Minced Wet Food
- Wellness Complete Health Sliced Wet Food
- Wellness Complete Health Morsels Wet Food
- Wellness Healthy Indulgence Shreds
- Wellness Healthy Indulgence Morsels
- Wellness Healthy Indulgence Gravies
- Wellness CORE Pate
- Wellness CORE Tiny Tasters
- Wellness CORE 95%
- Wellness CORE Hearty Cuts
- Wellness CORE Signature Selects
Finally, the line of snacks and treats includes:
- SPECIALLY MADE FOR ADULT CATS: This adult dry grain free recipe features the right balance of protein and fat with real deboned chicken as the first ingredient; formulated with a balanced blend of Omega Fatty Acids, vitamins and minerals
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Crafted to support your cat's total wellbeing including plenty of energy for playtime, a lustrous skin and coat, sound digestion and immunity, strong teeth and healthy eyes, plus controlled minerals for urinary health support
- CATISFACTION PROMISE: Wellness offers a full range of wet and dry cat food to support your cat's specific taste preferences and needs with dozens of flavors, textures and solutions
Has Wellness Cat Food Been Recalled?
Yes, Wellness Cat Food has been recalled.
The most recent food recall was in February 2017. A variety of canned food was recalled due to the potential of foreign materials in the finished product. The recall was voluntary as it involved metal found in canned food of a different company that is made in the same facility.
Various recalls ranging from potential salmonella outbreaks and mold have occurred from February 2011 to March 2017. Most of the recalls were for their dog food, but the complete list of Wellness Pet Food recalls can be found here.
Is Wellness Cat Food Worth it?
Yes, overall, Wellness Cat Food is worth it. It is often compared to Blue Buffalo, Orijen, and Purina in terms of its quality. It is setting an example of what a trusted natural pet food company should be looking to do.
Their products are made with high-quality ingredients and from sustainable sources. They go as far as to lay out their entire manufacturing process on their website to provide as much transparency as possible.