WholeHearted Cat Food Summary
- Best Overall WholeHearted Cat Food: WholeHearted Grain-Free Flaked Wet Cat Food For All Life Stages
Grain-free flaked wet cat food with real tuna or chicken fit for kittens, adults, and senior cats.
- Best Dry WholeHearted Cat Food: WholeHearted Grain-Free Complete Nutrition Dry Cat Food
Chicken recipe enriched with omegas, antioxidants, and probiotics and 86% of 5-star ratings.
- Best WholeHearted Cat Food Topper: WholeHearted Flavor-Boosting Wet Cat Meal Topper
Flavor-boosting meal toppers with high moisture available in four delicious recipes.
- Most Affordable WholeHearted Cat Food: WholeHearted Grain-Free Pate Savory Favorites Adult Wet Cat Food
Savory grain-free and omega-rich pate with real turkey, chicken, or beef is the 1st ingredient.
- Best WholeHearted Cat Food for Weight Control: WholeHearted Grain-Free Weight Control Dry Cat Food
Specialized chicken and pea recipe with natural L-carnitine for healthy weight maintenance.
What is WholeHearted Cat Food?
Wholehearted is PetCo’s store brand of pet food.
Where is WholeHearted Cat Food Made?
Wholehearted pet food is made in Thailand and the United States
How is WholeHearted Cat Food Made?
There is seemingly little to no transparency in the manufacturing process, which may indicate it is made outside of the U.S., although we have no proof of this.
Their ingredients are partially sourced from South America, New Zealand, and the United States. However, some of their ingredients are received from unknown suppliers. PetCo has not disclosed the name of the manufacturing partner with whom they work.
Is WholeHearted Cat Food Good for Cats?
Yes, WholeHearted is good for cats.
WholeHearted uses some high-quality ingredients, like real chicken and salmon, but is also made by using low-quality plant by-products in its recipes.
Overall, the protein products used in the formulas are animal sources, with the exception of the use of pea protein in some products.
WholeHearted Cat Food Formulas Reviewed
Read our WholeHearted Cat Food review to decide which formula is best for your cat’s needs.
Summary: This food comes in 2.8-ounce pouches. It is made grain-free and uses flaked meat as the primary protein source. It is formulated for cats of all ages. Available in a wide array of flavors, like the chicken recipe and the chicken & tuna recipe, that provide a nice amount of calories per serving for your cat.
Type: Wet cat food
Best for: Cats of all life stages
- Grain-free with tuna or chicken
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- No artificial colors added
- No corn, soy, or wheat
- Available in a wide selection of flavors
- Not available on Chewy
- Information is limited on Amazon
Ingredient Analysis: Three of the first four ingredients are animal-based, with the third ingredient being water. This food contains a high amount of moisture which is great for hydrating your cat. Tapioca starch is added for carbohydrates, and sunflower oil, a rather cheap ingredient, is added for fats.
Review: Reviews are mixed on this product. With less than 100 reviews and less than 70% of them being 5-stars, it is difficult to gauge consumers’ reactions. However, of those 5-star reviews, the most common theme was that their cat enjoyed the food the cat owners enjoyed the price. With 1-star reviews reaching above 10% of total reviews, it seemed the largest reason for dissatisfaction was missing pouches in the box or receiving the wrong product altogether.
Summary: This chicken recipe dry cat food comes in a 2-pound bag for a reasonable price. It is made grain-free and is appropriate for adult cats. This high-protein kibble uses real chicken as the first ingredient and includes probiotics for digestive support and omega-3 fatty acids for skin and fur health.
Type: Dry cat food
Best for: Adult cats
- Grain-free formula
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Made with probiotics for digestive health
- Antioxidants for immunity support
- Available at an affordable price
- Plant-based ingredients are the third, fourth, and fifth ingredients
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken and chicken meal are the first ingredients, but from there, it becomes heavy with plant products. They use peas, pea flour, and chickpeas for fiber and carbohydrates, both of which are inexpensive to manufacture and typically in lower-quality cat food. The added omega-3 fatty acids are a great way to promote skin and fur health.
Review: Although there aren’t many reviews of this product, a whopping 86% of buyers give this product 5 stars. They claim their cats love the food, and it has eased digestive issues and given their cats healthy skin again. The few negative reviews there are all saying the same thing, though, that it made their cats sick.
Summary: This meal topper is available in a variety pack of four flavors, including chicken & vegetable, tuna & vegetable, salmon, and seafood. It is made in broth for added flavor and texture and is formulated for cats of all ages. It uses no artificial preservatives and contains a high moisture content to provide hydration while eating.
Type: Cat food topper
Best for: Cats of all life stages
- Meat broths with tasty morsels
- High moisture for hydration
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Comes in 4 delicious recipes
- Variety packs are available
- Not a complete & balanced meal
Ingredient Analysis: Every recipe starts with broth and is followed by animal products like salmon and tuna. The only opaque ingredient is the condensed fish solubles. Overall, this is a great ingredients list.
Review: There were 6 ratings on Amazon and 26 ratings on PetCo.com, but nearly all of them gave it a 5-star review. The few reviews outside of that simply stated their cat would not eat the food.
Summary: This wet cat food variety pack contains three flavors made from real chicken, turkey, and beef. It contains no fillers and is intended for cats of all ages. This pate uses real turkey, chicken, or beef for the first ingredient and contains no corn, soy, or wheat, making this a grain-free wet food high in moisture and micronutrients.
Type: Wet cat food
Best for: Cats of all life stages
- Turkey, chicken, or beef is the 1st ingredient
- High moisture content for hydration
- No artificial colors, corn, soy, or wheat
- Comes in 2.8-ounce pouches
- Available at a budget-friendly price tag
- A little high in calories for a small package of wet food
Ingredient Analysis: Real chicken, turkey, and beef are the first ingredients in each of these recipes. They then add dried egg product and taurine for added amino acids. It is rounded out by sunflower oil and tapioca starch for fats and fiber and supplemented with vitamins.
Review: Averaging four stars with over 300 reviews on PetCo.com, it seems to be a middle-of-the-road product in the eyes of the consumer. The biggest complaint was that their cat didn’t like the food, but some buyers noticed stark differences in the quality from one package to the next, encouraging them to leave 1-star ratings.
Summary: This weight control formula is grain-free and made from chicken and peas. It contains 50% more fiber than the wholehearted grain-free chicken recipe and comes in 2.5-pound packages. It uses peas and flaxseed as high-fiber sources and ginger and pumpkin for easy digestion. The first ingredient in this food is real chicken making this a high-protein cat food for better weight control.
Type: Wet cat food
Best for: Adult cats; Weight control
- Delicious chicken formula with peas
- Rich in prebiotics for healthy digestion
- L-carnitine to help metabolize fat
- Helps maintain lean muscle mass
- Vitamins and minerals for balanced nutrition
- Often out of stock
- More carbs than expected
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken is the first ingredient, and the high fiber content comes from peas, chickpeas, and powdered cellulose. Pea flour and flaxseed help to add even more fiber, and berries add antioxidants and vitamins. This is a plant-heavy recipe meant for carnivores, but it is well-rounded nutritionally.
Review: More than150 reviews on PetCo.com give this a near-perfect 5-star rating. Buyers saw improvements in their cat’s health and weight quickly, and they enjoyed the fact their cats liked the food. The few critical reviews commented on the texture of the food, saying it was “too runny” or said their cat didn’t like the food.
What Cat Food Formulas does WholeHearted Make?
WholeHearted offers a wide range of products. Here is a list of the lines and products:
- WholeHearted Healthy Benefits
- WholeHearted Healthy Digestion Chicken and Egg Product Recipe Dry Cat Food
- WholeHearted Urinary Support Chicken Flavor Dry Cat Food
- WholeHearted Limited Ingredients
- WholeHearted Limited Ingredient Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food for All Life Stages
- WholeHearted Limited Ingredient Duck Recipe Dry Cat Food for All Life Stages
- WholeHearted Grain-Free
- WholeHearted Grain Free Beef and Pea Recipe Dry Cat Food for All Life Stages
- WholeHearted Grain Free Tuna & Sardine Recipe Flaked in Broth Wet Cat Food
- WholeHearted Grain Free Tuna Recipe Flaked in Broth Wet Kitten Food
- WholeHearted Treats & Toppers
- WholeHearted Savory & Tasty Soft Cat Treats – Salmon Recipe
- WholeHearted Savory & Tasty Soft Cat Treats – Chicken Recipe
- WholeHearted Savory & Tasty Soft Cat Treats – Turkey Recipe
- WholeHearted Protein-Rich Chicken Filet Cat Treat
- WholeHearted Protein-Rich Tuna Filet Cat Treat
- WholeHearted Soft Center Crunchy Catnip Flavor Cat Treats
- WholeHearted Smart Smiles Chicken Flavor Cat Dental Treats
- WholeHearted Salmon Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
- WholeHearted Chicken Liver Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
- Wholehearted Salmon Recipe Squeezable Puree Cat Treats
- WholeHearted Chicken Recipe Puree Squeezable Cat Treats
- Wholehearted Tuna Jerky Shreds Protein-Boosting Cat Meal Topper
- WholeHearted Seafood Recipe Broth Flavor-Boosting Wet Cat Meal Topper
- WholeHearted Salmon Recipe Broth Flavor-Boosting Wet Cat Meal Topper
Has WholeHearted Cat Food Been Recalled?
Wholehearted Cat Food has never had a recall on any of its products.
Is WholeHearted Cat Food Worth it?
Yes, WholeHearted is worth it.
In general, the brand uses good ingredients and combines them into complete and balanced meals for cats of all breeds and all life stages. The brand also offers a wide selection of cat formulas.
WholeHearted is often compared to cat food brands such as Purina Friskies and Blue Buffalo.